Rate my 992 C2S spec please

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rate my 992 C2S spec please

Good evening friends,

I have a March build slot and expecting arrival of this beauty sometime in May... I have a week or two to finalise my spec and I'm undecided on a few details, I would appreciate your candid opinion on some of these points please.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLP84R96

Firstly, colour, such a subjective and difficult one - but ultimately I'm leaning towards Carrara White as it is classic, shows the lines perfectly, and with a glass sunroof looks really good. Other considerations were Gentian Blue and Dolomite Silver.
Wheels, I've gone for Carrera Classic, but considered the Carrera Exclusive Design too - tough choice!
In our country, leather is an expensive option, I'm going with classic black with crayon stitching on the Sports Plus Seats.
Bose is standard here, I've added the folding mirrors and the reverse camera.
All the other extras are as per the Porsche Code above, but here are my unknowns, maybe someone here can comment/advise?

The PASM with 10mm lowering - is this necessary? Does it do anything besides lower the car? It is expensive (over £1,000 here), so not sure about it, am I right in assuming that all the driving dynamics are standard even without selecting this option?
The red colour dials on tacho and sport chrono clock - I wanted to break up the black interior (and have red seatbelts), but is this over the top? Should I consider another colour instead?
GT Sport Steering wheel, is it necessary? I think I want it purely for the extended thumb area.
Power Steering Plus, I had it on all my previous P-cars, is it necessary on sports car though? Seems like an additional unnecessary cost.

Thanks in advance!

Some pics of this config:

Carrara White with glass sunroof - standard quad pipes are my preference.

Red seatbelts to break the black, with crayon (chalk for the Americans) stitching

Are the red dials too much?

Last edited by MacAna; 02-11-2019 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Looks great.

One suggestion. Since you already have the red dials and red seat belts (both of which I think are fantastic) maybe consider red stitching instead of chalk? I think the red stitching would really make the interior pop.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:38 PM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Looks great.

One suggestion. Since you already have the red dials and red seat belts (both of which I think are fantastic) maybe consider red stitching instead of chalk? I think the red stitching would really make the interior pop.
Thanks for your reply.

2 minor problems:
Firstly, perhaps I'm too conservative, but I'm not 100% sold on the red dials yet - I'm worried it is too much.
2nd problem, red stitching isn't offered in our market.

On a different note...
Another question has popped up in my mind, after reading some more reviews... should I forego the GT Sport Steering wheel since many reviewers have indicated that the outer dials are obscured by the steering wheel - would the standard wheel improve this at all?
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

My 2 cents....
I agree with keeping the stitching consistent with other elements of the interior.
If crayon is your choice for stitching (mine too), I would consider doing the belts in the same colour.

As for the gauges; I'm not a fan of the 992 implementation. I much prefer the 991 gauges where the entire gauge face is coloured.
Just having the band of colour doesn't do much for me, I've left them black.

Also, PASM is much more than just lowering.
It gives you the active dampening.
But considering that you have not optioned other "performance" spec items such as PDCC & RAS, you may not miss having PASM either.
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I would skip the colored dials but red seat belts are a nice touch! A bit of color to break the black interior but not too much.
BTW I considered Racing Yellow seat belts along with matching dials but then decided it might be a bit much. As of now, I have specced the car with Crayon belts matching the stitching.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:11 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

They're not offering red stitching in the US, either. I would stick with the red belts and the red tach. As soon as the manual is available I'm going with Guards Red with red belts and tach but am skipping the red SC clock. I love the Classic wheels.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:23 AM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
My 2 cents....
I agree with keeping the stitching consistent with other elements of the interior.
If crayon is your choice for stitching (mine too), I would consider doing the belts in the same colour.

As for the gauges; I'm not a fan of the 992 implementation. I much prefer the 991 gauges where the entire gauge face is coloured.
Just having the band of colour doesn't do much for me, I've left them black.

Also, PASM is much more than just lowering.
It gives you the active dampening.
But considering that you have not optioned other "performance" spec items such as PDCC & RAS, you may not miss having PASM either.
Thanks for your comments. I hear you on the colour consistency and agree... except that I've heard the crayon seatbelts just look an off-white/silvery colour and will show up dirt easily over time. For some reason, I've had a desire to put red seatbelts in a P-car for the longest time!

On the PASM, it has been a point of much debate with the sales guys at our local dealership. This is directly from the sales manager who went on training in California last week:
PASM is standard so you have the active dampening anyway. PASM sport is active dampening, same system, 10mm lower, with a slightly different black lip. See screen shot from standard equipment

Not sure if PASM is standard in all markets, but it is here.

He also sent me two images which almost show the height difference and front lip

Sport PASM, 10mm lower

Normal Standard PASM

You are 100% correct on the "performance" options... this will hardly ever be tracked, and I think there will be plenty of grunt and driving dynamics without adding PDCC/RAS etc. I am a fan of the "lower stance", but also wary of speedbumps and my own steep driveway.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:27 AM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by darkblack
I would skip the colored dials but red seat belts are a nice touch! A bit of color to break the black interior but not too much.
BTW I considered Racing Yellow seat belts along with matching dials but then decided it might be a bit much. As of now, I have specced the car with Crayon belts matching the stitching.
Are you going with racing yellow paint too? I love the look, but not brave enough to order it! Which is why I'm leaning towards the more conservative approach and leaving the dials black.

Originally Posted by tgcrun
They're not offering red stitching in the US, either. I would stick with the red belts and the red tach. As soon as the manual is available I'm going with Guards Red with red belts and tach but am skipping the red SC clock. I love the Classic wheels.
My dealer sent me this pic of the tacho in crayon, I do like it... but again, if it's going to match the belts then it has to be red for me... I'm too chicken to be too flashy I guess.

Crayon tacho
Old 02-12-2019, 01:20 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MacAna
Are you going with racing yellow paint too? I love the look, but not brave enough to order it! Which is why I'm leaning towards the more conservative approach and leaving the dials black.
Nope! I am chicken **** when it comes to cars and paint! I am playing it safe with Agate Grey (so far! Hoping they add Volcano Grey before I have to freeze my spec!) with either Truffle Brown or Black leather, both with Crayon stitching.

Racing Yellow seat belts I considered since they look good with both brown or black interior but I may end up with Crayon belts to match the stitching. Matching dials I just know I'm going to regret later on, I am quite conservative that way. However, if you feel you are confident about it, go for it!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:38 PM
InTgr8r
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks for your comments. I hear you on the colour consistency and agree... except that I've heard the crayon seatbelts just look an off-white/silvery colour and will show up dirt easily over time. For some reason, I've had a desire to put red seatbelts in a P-car for the longest time!

On the PASM, it has been a point of much debate with the sales guys at our local dealership. This is directly from the sales manager who went on training in California last week:
Ahh that make more sense on the PASM spec.
The way I was thinking, I considered it a bargain option (should have know better)
I checked our standard items and our cars here are down the same way as yours with respect to PASM

For just a 10mm lowering, it hardly seems worth the expense for your intended use.

And thanks for the info on the practicality of looking after the crayon belts.
Will definitely reconsider this.
My exterior will be Gentian Blue, I wonder how Miami belts would look

......[EDIT].......
I was just playing with the configurator again and found this additional explanation beside the option
Electronically variable active damping system with two manually selectable modes- Normal and Sport
I wonder if you have the selectable modes as standard?
Old 02-12-2019, 04:41 PM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Ahh that make more sense on the PASM spec.
The way I was thinking, I considered it a bargain option (should have know better)
I checked our standard items and our cars here are down the same way as yours with respect to PASM

For just a 10mm lowering, it hardly seems worth the expense for your intended use.

And thanks for the info on the practicality of looking after the crayon belts.
Will definitely reconsider this.
My exterior will be Gentian Blue, I wonder how Miami belts would look

......[EDIT].......
I was just playing with the configurator again and found this additional explanation beside the option

I wonder if you have the selectable modes as standard?
I'm told the standard PASM also includes the selectable modes. Would love to have that confirmed by another dealer though.

Gentian was my 2nd colour option, love the look, but concerned about long term paint swirls and keeping it clean - also, for some reason I think (from pics only) the white shows off the lines of the car better than darker shades. But I definitely wouldn't say no to Gentian Blue in my driveway! I also opted for the glass sunroof, I don't like sunroofs, have taken it only because the black glass contrast on a white car looks amazing. If I went for Gentian I could save some $$$
Old 02-12-2019, 04:43 PM
MacAna
Racer

Originally Posted by darkblack
Nope! I am chicken **** when it comes to cars and paint! I am playing it safe with Agate Grey (so far! Hoping they add Volcano Grey before I have to freeze my spec!) with either Truffle Brown or Black leather, both with Crayon stitching.

Racing Yellow seat belts I considered since they look good with both brown or black interior but I may end up with Crayon belts to match the stitching. Matching dials I just know I'm going to regret later on, I am quite conservative that way. However, if you feel you are confident about it, go for it!
I built an Agate Grey on the configurator and loved the look and would consider it except that my Macan S Diesel is Agate and I don't want two cars of the same colour (weird I know!), I can confirm the colour is awesome, love the look of my Macan
Old 02-12-2019, 04:54 PM
NJRon
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful with or without the red dials
Old 02-12-2019, 05:43 PM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

My dealer sent me this pic of the tacho in crayon, I do like it... but again, if it's going to match the belts then it has to be red for me... I'm too chicken to be too flashy I guess.

Crayon tacho
Is that new carbon steering wheel yet to appear on the configurator?
Old 02-12-2019, 09:07 PM
baronwilberforce
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by darkknight26
Is that new carbon steering wheel yet to appear on the configurator?
Noticed that too. Would be great if you could replace the shiny black plastic around the PDK with carbon as well.

Quick Reply: Rate my 992 C2S spec please