Why would you order a 992 without the eventual hybrid gear? - Page 4 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 992
Reload this Page >

Why would you order a 992 without the eventual hybrid gear?

Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

Why would you order a 992 without the eventual hybrid gear?

Old 02-11-2019, 04:59 PM
limegreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Source?

Yes, the GT2 RS conquered the 'Ring faster than the 918. But, really, is that a surprise?

The 918 set the 'Ring record back in Sept. 2013. Almost 4 years to the day, in Sept. 2017, the GT2 RS set a (then) new record for the 'Ring.

If Porsche wasn't able to progress in four years (and to say nothing of the new and improved rubber used on the GT2 RS, i.e., the Cup2R tires), then it would be major face plant on the part of all those guys at Motorsport division.

It was pretty widely publicized back when it happened. Here's one of the many articles on it. http://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/1...r-than-the-918

How could you NOT be surprised that a standard RWD 911 chassis with a conventional turbo engine beat an ultra exotic, state of the art, carbon fiber, active aero, Hybrid, AWD hyper car built by the same company that costs 3 times what an RS does ?

What was achieved with the RS was nothing short of incredible and frankly, it's an embarrassment to the 918 in my opinion. I understand fully that much was taken from the 918 and that the RS is not exactly a simple car by any means. For me, however, it devalues most of what the 918 and the hyper car movement stood for and serves as a wake up call that advanced technology and complexity does not always equal advancement itself, especially where performance is concerned.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:38 PM
STG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Who the hell would want to own a 918 out of warranty??? No thanks. You could buy a GT2 RS by then for the cost of a major service on a 918.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:58 PM
limegreen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG View Post
Who the hell would want to own a 918 out of warranty??? No thanks. You could buy a GT2 RS by then for the cost of a major service on a 918.
Funny you say that, I personally know of a very high end collector that owns one and is already sweating bullets over the viability of keeping it long term. So apparently even those with virtually unlimited funds succumb to the wrath of these over complicated "throw away" cars...

Old 02-12-2019, 12:17 AM
ipse dixit
Super User

Originally Posted by limegreen View Post
It was pretty widely publicized back when it happened. Here's one of the many articles on it. http://www.thedrive.com/watch-this/1...r-than-the-918

How could you NOT be surprised that a standard RWD 911 chassis with a conventional turbo engine beat an ultra exotic, state of the art, carbon fiber, active aero, Hybrid, AWD hyper car built by the same company that costs 3 times what an RS does ?

What was achieved with the RS was nothing short of incredible and frankly, it's an embarrassment to the 918 in my opinion. I understand fully that much was taken from the 918 and that the RS is not exactly a simple car by any means. For me, however, it devalues most of what the 918 and the hyper car movement stood for and serves as a wake up call that advanced technology and complexity does not always equal advancement itself, especially where performance is concerned.
can you show me where in that article Porsche is poo-poohing the 918?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:52 PM
Argon_
User

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn View Post
The LaFerrari is less than 3,500 lbs
By SIX whole pounds.

A frog eyed 996 Carrera weighs in at 2904 lb. A lightweight, raw, narrow 911 for Subaru WRX prices. Seems more appealing by the day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: