Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would you order a 992 without the eventual hybrid gear?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 03:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisDM
but did place a deposit on a 992.2 GT3 allocation.
ChrisDM, are you saying your dealership already has allocations? Thank you.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:16 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,199 Likes on 2,713 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I remember when you got that 991.2 turbo and noticed you look like you swapped it for the M5. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the comparison

J

I did. Decided to sell the .2 Turbo and get two cars for ballpark same money- the M5 Comp and a 993 C4S, which is incoming.

I love the M5. It's really close, in terms of straight line speed. Dynamically, the Turbo is better, but you'll be hard pressed to realize that when driving around town. M5 doesn't sound great and I disconnected the fake noise amplifier which makes it quieter. I loved my Turbo - it's a phenomenal car and while the M5 doesn't quite match it's violence, it's very close. The M5 is just a killer daily driver - it's very hard to beat in that arena.

The M5 really does fit the brief of "faster but heavier". The speed and performance level is massive, but it doesn't have that visceral fizzy stuff that older, lighter, simpler sports cars give you. I'm looking for the 993 to give me that feeling that the M5 (and to an extent the Turbo) don't have. I'm hoping it's delivered this coming week.

Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I, for one, can't wait for the hybrid 911.

If the 918 is any indication, PAG knows how to do a performance oriented hybrid chassis.

And lets be honest, no one is pooh-poohing the 918, LaF or the P1. And if you are, I'll be happy to take one off your hands.
Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
I did. Decided to sell the .2 Turbo and get two cars for ballpark same money- the M5 Comp and a 993 C4S, which is incoming.

I love the M5. It's really close, in terms of straight line speed. Dynamically, the Turbo is better, but you'll be hard pressed to realize that when driving around town. M5 doesn't sound great and I disconnected the fake noise amplifier which makes it quieter. I loved my Turbo - it's a phenomenal car and while the M5 doesn't quite match it's violence, it's very close. The M5 is just a killer daily driver - it's very hard to beat in that arena.

The M5 really does fit the brief of "faster but heavier". The speed and performance level is massive, but it doesn't have that visceral fizzy stuff that older, lighter, simpler sports cars give you. I'm looking for the 993 to give me that feeling that the M5 (and to an extent the Turbo) don't have. I'm hoping it's delivered this coming week.

Sounds like pretty reasonable logic to me....and that M5 looks really amazing.

J
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

If the 918 is any indication, PAG knows how to do a performance oriented hybrid chassis.

And lets be honest, no one is pooh-poohing the 918, LaF or the P1. And if you are, I'll be happy to take one off your hands.
The LaFerrari is less than 3,500 lbs
Old 02-10-2019, 07:28 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
The LaFerrari is less than 3,500 lbs
True, but then the LaF is greater than 1.5M (MSRP).
Old 02-10-2019, 07:30 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

If you believe ICE is dead then hybrid is on life support. All electric yes, but the hybrid is too costly, too complex, and expensive for the dubious gains realized in the real world of daily driving. I’d walk or take the bus than drive a Prius.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:39 PM
ScratchTheItch
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
ChrisDM, are you saying your dealership already has allocations? Thank you.
My use of "allocation" may have been misleading. They do not have "allocations" yet however they are taking deposits and started the GT waitlists and providing confirmations/documentation with waitlist numbers. They've already "filled" the 992.1 list (mostly rolling over folks that were on the 991.2 list and couldn't get cars) and already pretty far back on the 992.2 list but it's a California MSRP dealer that gets a ton of demand but has a pretty buttoned-up, fair system.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:55 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Exactly...I personally think the hybrid is what’s going to be interesting and in 5 years will consider it. 992 seems like a fine car, but its a bit bland and quirky. Better off with 991.1 or .2 CPO if you don’t already have one. The hybrid powertrain will probably be pushing 800 instant torque (PDK only) and be light(er) weight than tesla tanks with heavy huge batteries.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:36 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by subshooter
911 is becoming a two door Panamera. Once the hybrid is out, mission complete. Big, heavy, luxurious, super fast......but not a sports car. I'm not saying I wouldn't want it or that it wont be a fantastic car but let's call it what it is.
Do you consider the 918 or LaF to be a sports car?
Old 02-10-2019, 11:44 PM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Its hard not to see the 918 as being the developmental 'mule' for a hybrid 911. Can you imagine the 918 or LaF with a manual tranny option? Are you listening Porsche? Now I'm starting to get a little interested in the 992, and my wallet may open a crack for you to surgically extract $170K

J
Old 02-11-2019, 08:08 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravs
Why do people think heavier and faster is better?
Because they got lost and stumbled onto a Porsche discussion forum. It's just mind-boggling to think about what the discussion around a 911 has become.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:23 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit

The 918 was poo pooed by Porsche themselves the instant that their own GT2RS lapped The Ring 10 seconds faster. It was a glorious moment and a huge slap in the face to the current generation hyper cars with all their overblown technology and absurd costs which ultimately equal little more than show off spectacle. Proving once more that hybrid drive trains have NOTHING to do with performance. They exist as nothing more than an over complicated and heavy solution for saving fuel. Period. End of discussion.

I don't appreciate over complexity and I don't care about saving fuel in a vehicle that I own purely for pleasure purposes and for those reasons alone I will NEVER buy one.

I do agree that Ring times are little more than water cooler discussion but they do prove as a very good measure of a car's capabilities. Besides, lets face it, the majority of what any performance car can do these days is little more than water cooler / internet forum discussion. I see this occurring even at enthusiast track day paddock discussions among those actually using their cars as intended.

Last edited by limegreen; 02-11-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:16 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,256 Likes on 588 Posts

^ I'm a CGT guy rather than a 918 guy, but…

'Ring times for 918 vs the various 991s are misleading because the hybrid drive system isn't the constant that ICE is, and then of course the 991 GT2/3 RS have some benefits learned from the 918 program (calibrations, and it is easy to underestimate these) as well as some benefits from ongoing Cup development.

With all that said, I too am hoping to see Porsche offer a new "more from less" sports car to underline what I view as its core identity. With a fourth four-door model line on the way…
Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by limegreen
The 918 was poo pooed by Porsche themselves the instant that their own GT2RS lapped The Ring 10 seconds faster. It was a glorious moment and a huge slap in the face to the current generation hyper cars with all their overblown technology and absurd costs which ultimately equal little more than show off spectacle. Proving once more that hybrid drive trains have NOTHING to do with performance. They exist as nothing more than an over complicated and heavy solution for saving fuel. Period. End of discussion.

I don't appreciate over complexity and I don't care about saving fuel in a vehicle that I own purely for pleasure purposes and for those reasons alone I will NEVER buy one.

I do agree that Ring times are little more than water cooler discussion but they do prove as a very good measure of a car's capabilities. Besides, lets face it, the majority of what any performance car can do these days is little more than water cooler / internet forum discussion. I see this occurring even at enthusiast track day paddock discussions among those actually using their cars as intended.
Source?

Yes, the GT2 RS conquered the 'Ring faster than the 918. But, really, is that a surprise?

The 918 set the 'Ring record back in Sept. 2013. Almost 4 years to the day, in Sept. 2017, the GT2 RS set a (then) new record for the 'Ring.

If Porsche wasn't able to progress in four years (and to say nothing of the new and improved rubber used on the GT2 RS, i.e., the Cup2R tires), then it would be major face plant on the part of all those guys at Motorsport division.

Quick Reply: Why would you order a 992 without the eventual hybrid gear?