Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?

Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 PM
minthral
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

There is more wind noise with the sunroof even in closed position. You’d have to check them back to back and really be focused on these things.

Same way the sport mirrors are a little more noisy than standard. 99% will never notice.

The car has lots of engine, exhaust, and tire noise to drown out wind.
Old 02-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Theodor
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well it is almost like a 997 targa and it’s great for people (kids) in the back in terms of the extra feeling of “room” it creates...
It does have a bit of a weight penalty however... just sayin
Old 02-03-2019, 03:00 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
I have the glass roof on my 2018 Panamera Turbo and never open it because on short trips it’s not worth the bother and on longer trips I don’t like the noise. And I’m not convinced I like the look of the glass vs paint. Although it sounds like I’m in the minority after reading the posts on this thread.
I have exactly the same opinion. Me for myself, I had it in my previous Q7 and Panamera. Although I agree, the feeling with more space was a nice thing, I hardy never opened the roof, as I also did not feel the need/wish to do so.

for the 991, I was of the opinion if the pros are not overweighting too much, I rather prefer a much cleaner optic from outside together with lower weight and the benefit of cost-saving, or at the end, ordering some other extras ;-)

but again, it is personal preferences - if you have a lot of sunny days, it might make sense compared to western europe...
Old 02-17-2019, 10:42 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

With either the steel or glass roof, if you crack it open at the back you'll at least hear the exhaust. At least I sure did on my 991.1 GTS with PSE and Fabspeed. Even with the aftermarket triangle wind deflectors, if I had both windows down the interior was quite a bit quieter if the rear of the roof was cracked open. Can't do that at the track though.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:44 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had cars with full glass roof and they do look nice with extra sunlight coming inside. Even a standard sunroof works great. If you are getting a black car/or dark color then get the glass roof. If not, I like metal roof, I love the paint on my cars.

For track use, I just like full metal or metal roof. Glass roof after track use can cause some squeaks (I have heard some other people have them); but I have never experienced it.

Get what you like and it depends on what type of driver are you.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:10 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
I have had cars with full glass roof and they do look nice with extra sunlight coming inside. Even a standard sunroof works great. If you are getting a black car/or dark color then get the glass roof. If not, I like metal roof, I love the paint on my cars.

For track use, I just like full metal or metal roof. Glass roof after track use can cause some squeaks (I have heard some other people have them); but I have never experienced it.

Get what you like and it depends on what type of driver are you.
I agree that the glass roof looks better on darker colors because of the black gloss parts. Otherwise, sort of breaks up the 911 silhouette.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:13 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Yep agreed it goes great with dark paint, but I also think the dark glass roof looks great on a White car! Go figure.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:40 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 681 Likes on 475 Posts

Personally I think the car looks better with the sliding steel roof. I think Porsche agrees because every Porsche promotional picture I looked at when I ordered my 991.2 showed the car with the steel roof. I will say that the darker the exterior colour, the better the glass blends in, but since I only seem to buy white cars, I stick to the steel roof. If you go the glass route, I don't think you'll see any more scratches than you do in the windshield to side glass.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:31 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 834 Likes on 417 Posts

I got the glass roof in my last 4 911s. The gloss black is not an issue. It’s painted and if you’re concerned about scratching, have it PPF’ed with the rest of the front of the car. That’s what I did. The glass panel makes the driving experience more open to me. I wouldn’t get another 911 without it.

Last edited by ryandarr1979; 02-18-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:15 PM
DY369
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Plus depending on where you live the car is hotter. I don't think the sheer screen does much of a job blocking out the sun. I drove one in the palm springs area in the summer months and I thought it let too much sun in. This was a 991.1 but maybe they have changed things.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

I would add that be careful looking at it on the configurator v. real life. I originally thought I would like white with the glass roof, but when I saw the combo in person, it seemed off to me (of course lots of different opinions). So I ordered an agate grey 991.2 last month with a glass sun roof after I sat in one in person. I think the roof blends in nicely with the agate and I agree with others who say that it gives the car a more open and roomier feel. I do think that the roof looks good with most of the colors on the 992 configurator, including silver and even white. Perhaps, it's the longer rear window and blending of that window with the rear engine grill that makes it appear more seamless. BTW, love the GT silver on the 992 and 991.2.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:00 AM
TennisGuy
Instructor

Originally Posted by kayjh
Personally I think the car looks better with the sliding steel roof. I think Porsche agrees because every Porsche promotional picture I looked at when I ordered my 991.2 showed the car with the steel roof. I will say that the darker the exterior colour, the better the glass blends in, but since I only seem to buy white cars, I stick to the steel roof. If you go the glass route, I don't think you'll see any more scratches than you do in the windshield to side glass.
I agree that for a white 991.2, the sliding steel roof looks better. Looks more solid and aggressive IMO.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:26 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I personally think having no sunroof looks the most solid and aggressive. Clean lines across the entire roof, less weight, less complexity, nothing to worry about breaking... If your the kind of guy who never uses the sunroof on any of your other cars I promise you won't miss it.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:28 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Just like a coffin on wheels.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:40 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 229 Likes on 124 Posts

As other have stated. Weight. Up high.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is ordering the glass roof a smart idea?