GT3 Rumors

Old 02-04-2019, 06:01 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,168 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
M4 comp. is too heavy and with a boring 3liters twinturbo
sold it without regrets

the only 200k twinturbo heavy car i would be interested is the AMG GTR but the crap no track warranty keep me skeptical

488 Pista is now my target
You do realize the BMW isn't even in the same league as those cars right? Not sure what your point is.

I love my F80 for what it is and am very aware of what its not. I've had it for a little over 3 years and agree with most of the criticisms EXCEPT for the fact that for $75k what other new car is as much fun? Its very imperfect, has all sorts of traction issues, suspension is rough, sounds like a lawnmower and for some reason it all works together in one sexy endearing wide-hipped package to be a lot of fun once you learn to get the most out of the drivetrain.

Its not a 911 or an AMG GTR or any of these other awesome cars but its not trying to be either... I still see it as the clear winner at its pricepoint.
The following users liked this post:
CarmineGT3 (08-09-2020)
Old 02-04-2019, 06:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^Sure , my point is i get more fun with E90 M3

some cars, most? have became more competent faster heavier regardless their price

Why manufacters along their fastest GTs and the base models, do not offer a plain raw fun whocaresringlaptime version?

Touring was more than a manual GT3,
was the closest and not yet understood answer to that but a Ruf like light chassis naturally aspirated would be perfect
Old 02-04-2019, 10:25 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Agreed. And the M3 engine is a great engine. And yes, the straight six cars still have that magic. But it was already apparent that the fix was in…
Euro delivery in a 335IS - A new E92 (E90 Coupe) with M suspension and a Hp/Tq bump. I drove it out of BMW HQ and headed south on the autobahn towards the Alps. Coming out of a tunnel in that car, and seeing the white peaks beyond was quite an experience.

“I highly recommend it”

Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM
haen
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

Predictions for NA or Turbo seem to be based on the ability to pass emissions testing.

So how do Ferrari and Lamborghini get their 6.0+ liter V12s to pass emissions?

Everyone seems to ignore the biggest determining factor in the current automotive industry: China and their tax on engine displacement.

Ever wonder why the Carrera's turbo engine is 3 liters?

Here is a breakdown of the tax rate.

source: https://ibimapublishing.com/articles...677/790677.pdf
Old 02-05-2019, 03:17 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

They dictated the mini turbo mini nubbin not so mini panda 992 design
damn communists
Old 02-05-2019, 09:21 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by haen
Predictions for NA or Turbo seem to be based on the ability to pass emissions testing.

So how do Ferrari and Lamborghini get their 6.0+ liter V12s to pass emissions?

Everyone seems to ignore the biggest determining factor in the current automotive industry: China and their tax on engine displacement.

Ever wonder why the Carrera's turbo engine is 3 liters?

Here is a breakdown of the tax rate.

source: https://ibimapublishing.com/articles...677/790677.pdf
You are 100% correct. While I love the turbo engine in my 991.2, I've always known that the Chinese market was the main reason for reducing the displacement. I have no problem with it. I'd rather see Porsche sell lots of cars and offer a high quality, high performing sports car in the mid $100,000s than become a niche producer of $250,000 - $500,000 cars like Ferrari and Lamborghini.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Porsche911dream
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Finally picked up an E92 M3 this past summer and it's very fun car. The NA engine is great and the hydraulic steering is worth its weight in gold. The chassis is very heavy however but I have more fun driving that car on the street than the 991.1 GTS.
My DD is a 2011 328xi with the NA I6 and I look forward to driving it each and every day.
The F generation is an abomination across the entire model line up. The farty turbo motors and electric steering are terrible. The suspension differences are night and day in favor of the E generation.

Here is an interesting article describing a kinematics and compliance test https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a1...-so-different/.

As for the 992 GT3, I wish it stays NA, with a hydraulic steering rack and vastly improved interior and exterior aesthetics.
I believe the connecting rods are a known failure on the E92 engine. You might want to get that looked at before it costs you more money down the road.

Re "vastly improved interior and exterior asthetics": What's wrong with the current GT3/RS aesthetics?!
Old 02-15-2019, 08:50 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911dream
I believe the connecting rods are a known failure on the E92 engine. You might want to get that looked at before it costs you more money down the road.

Re "vastly improved interior and exterior asthetics": What's wrong with the current GT3/RS aesthetics?!
Big end bearings are the problem. Not the rods themselves. Those can take 700 wheel.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 PM
Sunny_M3
Pro

Received 72 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by InTgr8r
^ agreed.
I have an E86 Z4MC... last of the great inline sixes & a great drivers car.
And an E92 M3 with that awesome power train. great car once I removed close to 400 lbs out of it.

But since then BMW has seriously lost the plot.
Even the M2 Competion that everyone is so hot to trot about is seriously lacking IMO
Numb steering, too heavy (+3600lbs) and sounds like crap.
The "M" brand has been completely neutered by BMW marketing.

I'm done with BMW moving forward.
People are hot to trot about it because the bar has been set pretty low for performance car feel and fun factors.
Old 02-15-2019, 11:16 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911dream

BE bearings and ARP bolts are on order and will discuss a swap with the dealer, next week. I'm at 27k miles and the sooner the better.

I love the current .2GT3 but if the 992 interior will carry into the 992GT3 interior which is but a certainty, I won't be sold.
Old 08-07-2020, 05:02 PM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by S.White
Anyone else watching the microwave ignition tech developed by MWI AG and supposedly being fielded by the Fach Auto Tech Supercup team in '19? Interesting plug-and-play type technology that replaces a standard spark plug, reduces fuel consumption by up to 30%, and reduces N20 emissions by up to 80%.

Also of note is shareholder and former Porsche AG CEO Wendelin Wiedeking....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...bustion-engine

https://mwi-ag.com/new-partnership-m...-tech/?lang=en

I'd think this could breathe new life into the production car ICE space especially for the Porsche GT cars if it proves reliable and legitimate. Consider an increase in output of 10-20% while becoming more fuel efficient and cleaner? That would certainly get the 992 GT3 and 3RS where they'd like to be with them performance-wise without additional weight or complexity. Probably too little too late at this point in the hybrid and/or turbo avoidance game but we can hope, right?
bump for more updates on this and if Fach is indeed running it?
Old 08-07-2020, 05:17 PM
S.White
Racer

Received 149 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
bump for more updates on this and if Fach is indeed running it?
No, unfortunately, the tech seems to have lost momentum. Highly doubt Fach is running it in the spec series. If they are somehow, they aren't blowing the field away...

Haven't seen any news on it since early 2019.
Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 PM
mr gregash
Banned

Received 73 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
You do realize the BMW isn't even in the same league as those cars right? Not sure what your point is.

I love my F80 for what it is and am very aware of what its not. I've had it for a little over 3 years and agree with most of the criticisms EXCEPT for the fact that for $75k what other new car is as much fun? Its very imperfect, has all sorts of traction issues, suspension is rough, sounds like a lawnmower and for some reason it all works together in one sexy endearing wide-hipped package to be a lot of fun once you learn to get the most out of the drivetrain.

Its not a 911 or an AMG GTR or any of these other awesome cars but its not trying to be either... I still see it as the clear winner at its pricepoint.
I owned both an F80 M3 and F82 M4 but could never get beyond the fact that those items you mention kill what is a very nice looking package, though interior quality is a bit lacking for the price especially when you’re talking 100k plus for CS models.
I do think for less money, the Alfa Giuli Quad is a more fun car to drive and equally, if not better, to look at.
I sincerely hope Porsche decides to enter this little niche market with a smaller sedan and show them all what a benchmark truly is.
Old 08-21-2020, 05:13 PM
mithiral67
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

Any rumors on when this will be released? Production numbers?
Old 08-21-2020, 05:28 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,258 Likes on 1,435 Posts

Originally Posted by mithiral67
Any rumors on when this will be released? Production numbers?
I’m surprised this thread hasn’t migrated to the GT forum 🤷🏼‍♂️

See post 242 here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-...-specs-17.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Rumors