Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Drive in 992

Old 02-08-2019, 06:04 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 372 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
Mr Stout, thanks very much for the insightful review of your experiences with the 992, it provides a lot of invaluable information for a newbie like myself looking for answers. I wonder if you could shed some light on whether you believe the 992 PSE is worth adding on the specs, as I find myself caught between the beautiful rear with the quad-tips and the possibility of a better sounding car with the oval tips. Do you think the trade-off in looks is worth the "improvement" in sound, if one may call it that? MAY one call it that?
I was down at my OPC yesterday configuring a new 992S with my SA..I said to him that i preferred the look of the standard exhaust with the quad tips and save the money.As he'd just returned from driving the 992s in Spain in his opinion the PSE is an absolute 'must have'.
He thought that the PSE transforms the noise and character of the 992 and sounds much better than the PSE on the 991.2..The 992 PSE looks much better painted Black IMO but i'm still not 100% convinced as i much prefer the look of the standard quad pipes.
Pete Stout will hopefully respond to your concern and shed some light for both of us, as its a lot of money for something unless it adds a lot to the sound of the car.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:12 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

I think another thing to factor in is in the 991.2 series the sound is different between the base, S and GTS - and becomes more pronounced as you move through the rev range and is a function of turbo size, boost and effective compression ratio - the higher the effective compression ratio the bigger the bang.

If you go to the configurator you listen to the different sounds - tick the PSE box and click on the information icon - at the top of the pop up is a sound button which you can click to hear the PSE. To my ears it sounds considerably more raucous and guttural .
Old 02-08-2019, 08:53 AM
adamlew
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Taffy66
I was down at my OPC yesterday configuring a new 992S with my SA..I said to him that i preferred the look of the standard exhaust with the quad tips and save the money.As he'd just returned from driving the 992s in Spain in his opinion the PSE is an absolute 'must have'.
He thought that the PSE transforms the noise and character of the 992 and sounds much better than the PSE on the 991.2..The 992 PSE looks much better painted Black IMO but i'm still not 100% convinced as i much prefer the look of the standard quad pipes.
Pete Stout will hopefully respond to your concern and shed some light for both of us, as its a lot of money for something unless it adds a lot to the sound of the car.
Since the new actual end-pipes are not connected to the exhaust system (but attached to the bumper) one should easily be able to add the PSE while keeping the quad exhausts. May become an option later perhaps? If not, I would be surprised if it would not be possible as an aftermarket fix, and adding the original PSE for a 991 (to an existing car with standard exhaust) is not that much more expensive than having it added from the factory. My local Porsche dealer also said the PSE was a "must" but also admitted that no single car at the dealer launch had the normal exhaust (at least that he saw/heard). May indicate the standards exhausts sounds very bad..? For me, I am not a huge fan of the crackle and pops of the PSE of the 991.2. For me the PSE would be a different proposition if it was an actual performance option, i.e. a more free flowing system adding extra hp/torque. But just my opinions of course, and perhaps I will change my mind if the standard exhaust ends up being too quiet - and add PSE while keeping the quad pipes..
Old 02-08-2019, 09:56 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by adamlew
Since the new actual end-pipes are not connected to the exhaust system (but attached to the bumper) one should easily be able to add the PSE while keeping the quad exhausts. May become an option later perhaps? If not, I would be surprised if it would not be possible as an aftermarket fix, and adding the original PSE for a 991 (to an existing car with standard exhaust) is not that much more expensive than having it added from the factory. My local Porsche dealer also said the PSE was a "must" but also admitted that no single car at the dealer launch had the normal exhaust (at least that he saw/heard). May indicate the standards exhausts sounds very bad..? For me, I am not a huge fan of the crackle and pops of the PSE of the 991.2. For me the PSE would be a different proposition if it was an actual performance option, i.e. a more free flowing system adding extra hp/torque. But just my opinions of course, and perhaps I will change my mind if the standard exhaust ends up being too quiet - and add PSE while keeping the quad pipes..
Yes it's quite odd that none of the vehicles being driven by reviewers seem to have the original quad tips exhaust. Just how bad can it really be?!

Can one select the PSE at build time and switch the dual oval tips part of the rear with the quad tips later on?

Originally Posted by Taffy66
That's very interesting, thanks for sharing. I agree if one does select the PSE then all black is the only way to go esp with a dark paint vehicle.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:50 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 587 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
I'm happy with the sound of mine - its not the big deal some make of it - particularly when you have your foot buried to the floor.
I too am happy with the sound of my 991.2 Carrera, and with the base exhaust no less. One of the best sounding 911s I've driven? Nope. But "sounds like crap"? I have yet to meet a flat six that sounds bad, and the only ones that really let me down were the 996/997/991 Turbo cars.

We've been spoiled by very loud and soulful GT3 and X51 engines—and, to a lesser extent, other 9A1 engines—in showroom stock 911s lately. That wasn't "normal" until lately. In the old days, a 2.7 or 3.0 or 3.2 or 3.6 weren't all that loud unless you added a muffler and/or an intake. To me, the 991.2 Carrera is a 911 back in that direction. And while it can indeed be criticized for being too muted, I find its sound sophisticated and plenty "flat six" when you're listening for it, and unobtrusive when you're not. Adds another dimension to the car, and one I enjoy also.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:57 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Mr Stout, thanks very much for the insightful review of your experiences with the 992, it provides a lot of invaluable information for a newbie like myself looking for answers. I wonder if you could shed some light on whether you believe the 992 PSE is worth adding on the specs, as I find myself caught between the beautiful rear with the quad-tips and the possibility of a better sounding car with the oval tips. Do you think the trade-off in looks is worth the "improvement" in sound, if one may call it that? MAY one call it that?
Full disclosure: I may be a good and a bad guy to ask, as I agree more with Nick Murray's video on the 991.2 with and without PSE in that generation—PSE isn't a shockingly different sound, and I prefer the aesthetics of the standard system. Can't remember whether or not he covered this, but I also hate the canned pops and crackles. The fact that you can count them and they're the same every time—and the fact that Sport Plus cancels the theatrics to maximize performance—tells me all I need to know.

So, they've made the aesthetics better with the 992's PSE and gotten rid of the obvious theatrics, good moves—but I still think the quad pipes look better. Problem is, I haven't tested a 992 with the quad pipes.

Can one select the PSE at build time and switch the dual oval tips part of the rear with the quad tips later on?
It's possible to swap tips on 991.2 without PSE, so it will be interesting to see what's required to do so in the 991.2 bumpers. My guess (but it's only that right now) is that the main bumper skin has to stay the same and the "insert" or "inserts" will change with or without PSE. Whether the mufflers dictate which inserts can be used will be the next question…
Old 02-08-2019, 01:20 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

I wasnt happy with stock PSE on .2. Always felt like overrun sounds sounded like dry coconuts. Changed to akra cans which mostly fixed this but is still civilized.
Going full kline next month (with cats) because.. why not.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:30 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rennolazine
I wasnt happy with stock PSE on .2. Always felt like overrun sounds sounded like dry coconuts. Changed to akra cans which mostly fixed this but is still civilized.
Going full kline next month (with cats) because.. why not.
^ Please do report back. I am amazed that Fister hasn't gone after the 991.2 market… solution that saw the muffler system modified internally could be very interesting.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:34 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by stout
^ Please do report back. I am amazed that Fister hasn't gone after the 991.2 market… solution that saw the muffler system modified internally could be very interesting.
Will do, Pete. Ill make a short vid also compared to stock
I have a feeling once I hear the Kline Im gonna have a difficult time suppressing my bowels. Especially in the T with less wound deadening.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:02 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 271 Posts

Just came across this.

Old 02-08-2019, 02:07 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

First part without all the talking:

Old 02-08-2019, 04:31 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,717 Likes on 4,755 Posts

I too am happy with the sound of my 991.2 Carrera, and with the base exhaust no less. One of the best sounding 911s I've driven? Nope. But "sounds like crap"? I have yet to meet a flat six that sounds bad, and the only ones that really let me down were the 996/997/991 Turbo cars.

We've been spoiled by very loud and soulful GT3 and X51 engines—and, to a lesser extent, other 9A1 engines—in showroom stock 911s lately. That wasn't "normal" until lately. In the old days, a 2.7 or 3.0 or 3.2 or 3.6 weren't all that loud unless you added a muffler and/or an intake. To me, the 991.2 Carrera is a 911 back in that direction. And while it can indeed be criticized for being too muted, I find its sound sophisticated and plenty "flat six" when you're listening for it, and unobtrusive when you're not. Adds another dimension to the car, and one I enjoy also.
I rarely flat out disagree with you Pete, but I can't agree with that highlighted statement. Personally, I have yet to hear a flat-six that sounds good. Yes, the engine in the 991 GT3/RS is pretty epic, but only really at about 7500 RPM and above, because anything in the lower RPM range sounds (as one of my passengers said) like "a broken garbage truck with a loose muffler"
Old 02-08-2019, 04:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Full disclosure: I may be a good and a bad guy to ask, as I agree more with Nick Murray's video on the 991.2 with and without PSE in that generation—PSE isn't a shockingly different sound, and I prefer the aesthetics of the standard system. Can't remember whether or not he covered this, but I also hate the canned pops and crackles. The fact that you can count them and they're the same every time—and the fact that Sport Plus cancels the theatrics to maximize performance—tells me all I need to know.

So, they've made the aesthetics better with the 992's PSE and gotten rid of the obvious theatrics, good moves—but I still think the quad pipes look better. Problem is, I haven't tested a 992 with the quad pipes.
I agree with you on the 991.2.. It's just too quiet with PSE on to be PSE. My 991.1 has a much bigger difference.

Like you, I would prefer to get rid of the backfires. I think it's terrible, IMO.

And, ironically, I prefer the twin pipes to the quad. I may be the only person out there who actually LIKES the LOOK of the 991.2 PSE...even if it definitely reminds me of a Beetle.

It's possible to swap tips on 991.2 without PSE, so it will be interesting to see what's required to do so in the 991.2 bumpers. My guess (but it's only that right now) is that the main bumper skin has to stay the same and the "insert" or "inserts" will change with or without PSE. Whether the mufflers dictate which inserts can be used will be the next question…
From the pics in this thread, it looks like the entire gray plastic "insert" is different. Which, knowing Porsche, is attached to the bumper, requiring a completely different bumper. https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1128...auto-show.html

You may be able to cut it wider, as there is a metal ring around the inside. But not sure....
Old 02-08-2019, 04:56 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I rarely flat out disagree with you Pete, but I can't agree with that highlighted statement. Personally, I have yet to hear a flat-six that sounds good. Yes, the engine in the 991 GT3/RS is pretty epic, but only really at about 7500 RPM and above, because anything in the lower RPM range sounds (as one of my passengers said) like "a broken garbage truck with a loose muffler"
The flat six does have more rattle to it than most engines. I love it.

Like Pete, I've never met a flat six I didn't enjoy.

Even a turbo one.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:01 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

All Flat Sixes aren't made the same. The 911 is a true Boxer. The only other production company using a true boxer is Subaru (WRX, STI, etc.). The sound between a standard flat and a true boxer will be different if all else is the same.
I don't think Germans use the term 'Flat' at all. I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong), this is an American term that comes from flattening a V engine (Flat V or 180º V). The difference is that Boxers have one crankpin per piston.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Drive in 992