Sponsored by:

Porsche newbie seeking build advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 09:00 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Porsche newbie seeking build advice

Hi fellas, moving from an F10 M5 towards what has been a lifetime dream: owning a 911. With the 992 launching when it did it almost seemed like a sign from up above to go for it. I'm still in the initial planning stage but it would mean a lot to get your feedback on my build. This is not my dream build as I have held off on some "wants" but I can live with this:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PLG6VMQ0

Some related questions:
1. I really want the PSE but totally love the quad-exhaust. In fact I dont like the double pipes at all! Is it possible to spec the PSE now and later switch the two pipes with the original Porsche quad exhaust tips? Is it practical to assume thats doable?
2. Truffle Brown Club or Black leather? Coming from another black interior I am considering the brown for a change.
3. How practical is the rear wiper?
4. I can live without the Burmester, everyone seems to think Bose is good enough. I hope to get a chance to listen to both before confirming.
5. Any opinions on Matte Carbon interior package? Does it wear well? Like most normal people I hate scratches esp in the car.

Any input is highly appreciated!
=start
The following users liked this post:
ketch2631 (06-06-2021)
Old 01-14-2019, 09:26 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by darkblack
Hi fellas, moving from an F10 M5 towards what has been a lifetime dream: owning a 911. With the 992 launching when it did it almost seemed like a sign from up above to go for it. I'm still in the initial planning stage but it would mean a lot to get your feedback on my build. This is not my dream build as I have held off on some "wants" but I can live with this:

Some related questions:
1. I really want the PSE but totally love the quad-exhaust. In fact I dont like the double pipes at all! Is it possible to spec the PSE now and later switch the two pipes with the original Porsche quad exhaust tips? Is it practical to assume thats doable?
2. Truffle Brown Club or Black leather? Coming from another black interior I am considering the brown for a change.
4. I can live without the Burmester, everyone seems to think Bose is good enough. I hope to get a chance to listen to both before confirming.
5. Any opinions on Matte Carbon interior package? Does it wear well? Like most normal people I hate scratches esp in the car.

=start
Really tasty spec and lovely change after an F10 M5 I suspect.
1. PSE is not that necessary on the turbo engines imho (I rather spend money on high end audio)
2. Truffle man. Not per sé my color of choice but will combine really well with the Aventurine exterior.
3. It's practical. But man, I love the look without one so much that If I can order without, I do it (also on my 3 series for instance). If you want to know if you can or can't live without just don't turn on your rear wiper on a rainy day.
4. See reply to question 1
5. Almost any kind of pocket debris can scratch a CF surface. The surface is just resin and comparable to hard plastics in terms of scratching. Light scratches to the surface only can be removed with sandpaper but if you hit the fibers that will mean a new layer of top coating.* *
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

Some related questions:

=start
In recently ordering a 991.2 GTS, I debated the rear wiper option. Did a bunch of research here on Rennlist and elsewhere to see how truly useful it is based on opinions from people who have or had rear wipers.

Ultimately, based on informed opinions, I concluded that for rain, it's not necessary. But if you plan to drive in snow, then it is very helpful.

I don't plan to drive this car in snow. So I skipped getting the wiper.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:37 AM
darkblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
1. PSE is not that necessary on the turbo engines imho (I rather spend money on high end audio)
2. Truffle man. Not per sé my color of choice but will combine really well with the Aventurine exterior.
3. It's practical. But man, I love the look without one so much that If I can order without, I do it (also on my 3 series for instance). If you want to know if you can or can't live without just don't turn on your rear wiper on a rainy day.
5. Almost any kind of pocket debris can scratch a CF surface. The surface is just resin and comparable to hard plastics in terms of scratching. Light scratches to the surface only can be removed with sandpaper but if you hit the fibers that will mean a new layer of top coating.* *
Thanks for the input. From my research it seems like people without PSE have often regretted that decision and it would be a no brainer if the tips didn't change.

Ditto on the CF package. I can just tell it'll look gorgeous for the first few weeks and then it's going to start picking up scratches like crazy. What's a safe option? Wood? Leather? Aluminum?

Truffle brown not my first choice but honestly the only one I can live with apart from black.

Originally Posted by V999
In recently ordering a 991.2 GTS, I debated the rear wiper option. Did a bunch of research here on Rennlist and elsewhere to see how truly useful it is based on opinions from people who have or had rear wipers.

Ultimately, based on informed opinions, I concluded that for rain, it's not necessary. But if you plan to drive in snow, then it is very helpful.

I don't plan to drive this car in snow. So I skipped getting the wiper.
Noted and thanks! I think I can live without the rear wiper, I prefer the clean look ����

Old 01-14-2019, 11:09 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

The Burmeister sounds fantastic. That said, it is even more outrageously overpriced than most Porsche options. Talk yourself into it and you won't regret it. Save the dough and you won't regret that either.

My car lives parked outside in Chicago. I don't have the rear wiper and don't miss it. Keep the rear Rain-Xed and you'll be fine. One thing about driving in snow--without a warm engine up front all the snow on the hood will blow onto the windshield instead of melting, so be very sure to have good windshield wiper blades.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:35 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
..... so be very sure to have good windshield wiper blades.
Are you saying the original ones aren't adequate?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip the PSE, the quad pipes look best, later on change to an x-pipe

go truffle

bose if you need it, base is good enough for me

rear wiper just for snow

Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Couple of thoughts. First, I can’t comment about the sound of the PSE on a 992. I got it on my Panamera Turbo (not because I wanted it, but because it was included in a package). I think it’s terrfific and am very glad I have it. In my opinion the quad exhaust looks good, but the dual exhaust looks equally as good. Second, black vs truffle is a personal choice...I’d choose black because it’s simple. Third, I think the rear wiper in more for looks vs functionality. Fourth, I’d never spend the money on Burmester. I have the Bose in my Panamera and it’s great. Fifth, I don’t know what the Matte Carbon package is. I have carbon fiber trim in my Panamera and it looks fabulous.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Some related questions:

=start
Here's my take:
1) Don't know if you can switch. I'm going with PSE but if you don't like look then go aftermarket. Maybe a muffler delete is the best low cost solution. AWE also usually makes an aftermarket switchable exhaust.
2) Truffle Brown Club with contrast stitching. Black is for Hondas.
3) No need for rear wiper. I don't have one and have never had an issue with rear vision.
4) I have the Burmester in my Turbo S and I find I don't enjoy music in my 911. The issue is the 911 is a noisy car. It's not like an M5. The acoustic environment is not great for music. It's a great car for listening to the engine. The Burmester in my E63S is a different story - I love that and the listening experience is amazing. But in a 911 I'd rather enjoy the driving. I'll get the Bose next time.
5) Matte Carbon wears well. No scratches. But I would get brushed aluminum. It looks much better in this car.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:48 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

I had PSE in my first .2 but new one doesn't have it........too quiet so I'll probably be adding it. Black for Hondas?? Never heard that one before. I've got Carbon Fibre dash etc and love it. New car appears to have a shelf so it will be more susceptible to scratching ....if its matte finish it should be fine. IMO if youre not tracking things like rear steering and PASM/SPASM aren't important....IMO. Youre going to love that car!
Old 01-15-2019, 02:38 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by VOLTCONTROL
Turbo engines are quieter than NA engines.*
Old 01-19-2019, 11:59 AM
waiting for PDK
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I take back what I said about not needing the rear wiper

Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 682 Likes on 476 Posts

I'd skip the PSE. I had it in my 991.2 and it droned at 2,200 RPM which is what the PDK liked the engine at regardless of road speed. I wouldn't spend on the Burmeister sound system. As posted above, the car is noisy and between the exhaust and road noise, I couldn't hear my Bose system unless I had it cranked all of the way up.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 PM
darkblack
Instructor

Originally Posted by RODOLFO04
Skip the PSE, the quad pipes look best, later on change to an x-pipe

go truffle

bose if you need it, base is good enough for me

rear wiper just for snow

I agree, the quads DO looks the best! I just wonder if the regular exhaust will be too quiet? Aftermarket remains an option but I would rather get it right at build time.

Originally Posted by bmcginn
Couple of thoughts. First, I can’t comment about the sound of the PSE on a 992. I got it on my Panamera Turbo (not because I wanted it, but because it was included in a package). I think it’s terrfific and am very glad I have it. In my opinion the quad exhaust looks good, but the dual exhaust looks equally as good. Second, black vs truffle is a personal choice...I’d choose black because it’s simple. Third, I think the rear wiper in more for looks vs functionality. Fourth, I’d never spend the money on Burmester. I have the Bose in my Panamera and it’s great. Fifth, I don’t know what the Matte Carbon package is. I have carbon fiber trim in my Panamera and it looks fabulous.
Roger, looks like the rear wiper is not going to make it on my list. Ditto on Burmeister.
Thanks for your input on CF interior and PSE.

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
Here's my take:
1) Don't know if you can switch. I'm going with PSE but if you don't like look then go aftermarket. Maybe a muffler delete is the best low cost solution. AWE also usually makes an aftermarket switchable exhaust.
2) Truffle Brown Club with contrast stitching. Black is for Hondas.
3) No need for rear wiper. I don't have one and have never had an issue with rear vision.
4) I have the Burmester in my Turbo S and I find I don't enjoy music in my 911. The issue is the 911 is a noisy car. It's not like an M5. The acoustic environment is not great for music. It's a great car for listening to the engine. The Burmester in my E63S is a different story - I love that and the listening experience is amazing. But in a 911 I'd rather enjoy the driving. I'll get the Bose next time.
5) Matte Carbon wears well. No scratches. But I would get brushed aluminum. It looks much better in this car.
Thanks for the advice, it does seem like the general feedback on high-end audio system for the 911 is thats misplaced in this car. I guess Bose would be the smarter choice.
I was thinking CF on the dash and console + brushed ALU on the doorsills so a combination of both, really. Matte CF on the doorsills would be a disaster I think!

Originally Posted by 911boy
I had PSE in my first .2 but new one doesn't have it........too quiet so I'll probably be adding it. Black for Hondas?? Never heard that one before. I've got Carbon Fibre dash etc and love it. New car appears to have a shelf so it will be more susceptible to scratching ....if its matte finish it should be fine. IMO if youre not tracking things like rear steering and PASM/SPASM aren't important....IMO. Youre going to love that car!
Cheers mate! Not considering PASM for this build. I never track (not yet anyway) and am usually a very careful driver. Probably stick to the regular suspension.

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK
I take back what I said about not needing the rear wiper
Whoa where is that!?! I doubt the wiper can help much in this situation. Thank God we don't have such issues in London.....most of the year anyway!

Originally Posted by kayjh
I'd skip the PSE. I had it in my 991.2 and it droned at 2,200 RPM which is what the PDK liked the engine at regardless of road speed. I wouldn't spend on the Burmeister sound system. As posted above, the car is noisy and between the exhaust and road noise, I couldn't hear my Bose system unless I had it cranked all of the way up.
Got it! Sound advice. With the mixed feedback on PSE I feel I should listen to both before making a decision. I am waiting for my dealer to receive some demo vehicles and hopefully there will be one car with and another without PSE so I can figure out for myself. Pretty much staying away from Burmeister too.

Quick Reply: Porsche newbie seeking build advice