Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   BMW 8 series. (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1121442-bmw-8-series.html)

garfunkle 12-30-2018 02:52 PM

BMW 8 series.

I've watched a few video reviews lately.... Each of them compare it to 3 cars.... Merc S Class coupe, Bentley continental and..... Waite for it.... the Porsche 911[992]. This kind of says it all - no?

bmcginn 12-30-2018 03:03 PM

I drove the 850i a few weeks ago. It’s a really nice car with a great ride. It’s solid, stable, and seemed very quick (I didn’t jump on it because I don’t jump on other people’s cars). I loved the looks and the technology was first rate. The car I drove was very well optioned and the sticker was $120k (as a comparison, the 992 4S I configured is $152k). As much as I liked the car, it’s not a 911.

OHWHATDA 12-30-2018 06:03 PM

8 Series Coupe curb weight is 4478 pounds. They can compare it to a real sports car, but that’s literally a thousand pounds heavier. So I fail to see you’re point. Oh that’s right, you’re just here to troll and make snide comments. I hope you enjoy your obese new BMW.

slc4s 12-31-2018 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA (Post 15530946)
8 Series Coupe curb weight is 4478 pounds. They can compare it to a real sports car, but that’s literally a thousand pounds heavier. So I fail to see you’re point. Oh that’s right, you’re just here to troll and make snide comments. I hope you enjoy your obese new BMW.

whoa there champ.... maybe read the post again. 0% a troll post. 8 series is a nice new entrant. 911 is a 2 door 4 seater with serious chops as a daily driver and also happens to be fast. 8 series they went waaaay sportier than an S coupe so the comparison is actually pretty natural. These two cars will definitely be cross shopped by some that aren’t passionate about one brand or the other. If you want a sporty 2 door for a daily driver that you can still buckle a kid in the back it’s a pretty small group of cars at this point.

Keadog 12-31-2018 07:57 AM

I started a thread on this in Off Topic. Drove the M8 and S63 Coupes back to back last week. I’m actually looking for a full sized DD cab but neither dealer had the convertible version in stock and the M8 cab isn’t due stateside until spring. My MB dealer has an S560 cab at port so I’ll look at it when it arrives. I’m concerned the trunk will be too small for my wants.

The M8 is a nice car for the money, but it felt very small on the inside for as big as it is, and not in a good way. I had never driven any BMW before and it was fine, but I didn’t feel like I had been missing anything special either. The AMG was “more car” but it’s also about $60K more, so I’m not sure it’s fair to compare them. The M8 is no 911 (again IMO). It felt huge to drive compared to my Targa. But I’m looking to replace my DD S550 sedan and not the 911.

My main impression of the M8 was how in the world did they manage to make it so big on the outside and so small on the inside? That said, neither car’s back seats are built for full sized adults IMO. At least the rear seats fold down in the BMW. There seemed to be more room in the back of the AMG, but getting in and out isn’t fun there either. I don’t see either one as a choice to take another adult couple out to dinner.

bmcginn 12-31-2018 08:40 AM

Apologies in advance for nitpicking, but it’s not an M8, it’s an M850i. The M8 is coming out in 2019, likely as a 2020, and will have enhanced performance. I’m with you about the interior of the 8 series, although that wouldn’t be a show stopper for me and im pretty tall. I like the 8 series a lot and thought it drove very well.

Keadog 12-31-2018 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by bmcginn (Post 15531912)
Apologies in advance for nitpicking, but it’s not an M8, it’s an M850i. The M8 is coming out in 2019, likely as a 2020, and will have enhanced performance. I’m with you about the interior of the 8 series, although that wouldn’t be a show stopper for me and im pretty tall. I like the 8 series a lot and thought it drove very well.

Yeah, too many numbers. Not a brand for me, so sorry there. Not worth learning since I have to prioritize info to stuff into my small brain and it doesn't look like one is in my future. May just stick with the S550 sedan for a couple more years. Excellent car except for some minor issues the dealer has been 110% on service with.
If I had to make a snap decision. I would say the S63 is worth the extra money (to me).

bmcginn 12-31-2018 04:16 PM

I like the S63 Coupe a lot. One of my friends owns one and loves it, but I’m not as much a MB fan as I used to be.

garfunkle 12-31-2018 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Keadog (Post 15531888)
I started a thread on this in Off Topic. Drove the M8 and S63 Coupes back to back last week. I’m actually looking for a full sized DD cab but neither dealer had the convertible version in stock and the M8 cab isn’t due stateside until spring. My MB dealer has an S560 cab at port so I’ll look at it when it arrives. I’m concerned the trunk will be too small for my wants.

The M8 is a nice car for the money, but it felt very small on the inside for as big as it is, and not in a good way. I had never driven any BMW before and it was fine, but I didn’t feel like I had been missing anything special either. The AMG was “more car” but it’s also about $60K more, so I’m not sure it’s fair to compare them. The M8 is no 911 (again IMO). It felt huge to drive compared to my Targa. But I’m looking to replace my DD S550 sedan and not the 911.

My main impression of the M8 was how in the world did they manage to make it so big on the outside and so small on the inside? That said, neither car’s back seats are built for full sized adults IMO. At least the rear seats fold down in the BMW. There seemed to be more room in the back of the AMG, but getting in and out isn’t fun there either. I don’t see either one as a choice to take another adult couple out to dinner.

My 650 gran coupe barely has enough room in the back seats for adults. Bmw is not concerned with the rear seat.

Odly enough, the 8 series really makes me miss my Jaguar XKR.... which had worse back seats than the 911 and weighed in at 2 tons!

Thinc2 01-01-2019 12:05 AM

Although i never drive one - the XKR was a sexy machine... Loved the look.

Keadog 01-01-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by garfunkle (Post 15532931)

.Bmw is not concerned with the rear seat.

If the car is going to be that big, they should be. I eliminated it from consideration when I saw the vestigial back seats. I have one of those already. At least the S63/S550 cabs have decent sized rear seats once you get into them.
The truth seems to be no one makes a full sized convertible that’s AWD, luxurious and easy to get in and out of the back seats for people over 30. That would imply a 4 door convertible (S, BMW7, A8, etc) and none are being made. Even the Bentley and RR are 2 door, I believe (and more than I want to spend).
Maybe I should look for a ‘66 Lincoln retro mod...
Back to the 992. Not overwhelmed but waiting for the MT to become available. At least it won’t have that obscene PDK shifter.

Joenyc 01-03-2019 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by bmcginn (Post 15531912)

What about a Cadillac Escalade it’s sporty

stealthpilot 01-03-2019 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Thinc2 (Post 15533708)
Although i never drive one - the XKR was a sexy machine... Loved the look.

I always thought the styling was a bit off. The original version had weird headlights, and then after the facelift they fixed them but the car was just old at that point.

The F-Type on the other hand is a much more sexy car. Perfect proportions. Only problem is that it is very heavy for such a small car.

ryandarr1979 01-05-2019 03:27 AM

Looks like a BMW Mustang. It’s a BIG car. And heavy. Between weighing almost 4,500 lbs and the massive front end with the big V8, this car isn’t going to handle anywhere near like a 911. Oh, and BMW’s N63 V8 has been a nightmare since it was introduced 10 years ago. No bueno.

chance6 01-05-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979 (Post 15543063)
Looks like a BMW Mustang. It’s a BIG car. And heavy. Between weighing almost 4,500 lbs and the massive front end with the big V8, this car isn’t going to handle anywhere near like a 911. Oh, and BMW’s N63 V8 has been a nightmare since it was introduced 10 years ago. No bueno.

I've been intrigued about the new 8-Series...looks sexy to me. Beauty in eye of beholder I guess. But if I had to have a BMW it would probably be M3/M4 or M2 Competition.