Design detail: the hood line through generations of Porsche sports cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2018, 05:13 AM
Josuarieger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Design detail: the hood line through generations of Porsche sports cars

Hello Community,

100% new here, greatly enjoyed a number of 992 threads on RL and decided to participate actively in these debates. You guys (and girls) seem a smart and funny bunch.

I am a Porsche owner (981 Black edition, 2.7, manual, underpowered and tons of fun), my first, which I bought brand new with the factory delivery ticked. It was an impulse buy to get the last NA 6 cylinder boxer engine, and I got one of the last 981s produced. Great moment in my life as a perennial little boy on Planet Earth (34 when I bought it, now 37).

I drive my car, I drive it hard at times, and I love to drive it. But I also love to spend time just looking at it. I am sure every car lover does.

So here is a thread where we can discuss minute details of the 992. I propose the hood line, which seems a design conundrum for the guys at Porsche, if you look at how it was ”solved” through the generations. By hood line I mean not only the hood line per se but also the bumper line (or how the car is drawn around the headlights)and how the two match.

I believe that the 996 fried egg lights were a result of the designer’s wanting to rid the car of a few lines in the sheet metal.

And now that the 992 is out, with a different solution to the hood line, I find the 996 had a GREAT hood line. The 993 had the sexiest one, feminine, swooping and just wow to me.

Squared off hood lines were great on the “distinct bumper” generations (G, 964), but I find one looks odd on the 992. Also, the disjointed line is an eye sore.

So what is your favorite hoodline in Porsche sports cars (not only 911s)?

Quick Reply: Design detail: the hood line through generations of Porsche sports cars