Sponsored by:

How many are waiting for manual

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 07:37 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 603 Likes on 280 Posts

P

Manual T and PDK vert at my house. T manual rules ! Esp as it has Akrapovic full system #savethemanuals
Old 02-23-2019, 09:59 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Still waiting.........
Old 02-24-2019, 10:08 AM
disden
Drifting

Received 966 Likes on 429 Posts

I think it is extremely small minded to somehow equate poor driving skills/talent with inability to drive a manual transmission. Perhaps its a personal ego trip. If you somehow feel that it adds to the overall driving experience by rowing the gears, then that's awesome- enjoy, its great that Porsche still offers that as an option. However the PDK has become so dang good that its hard to ignore. I track my cars, the PDK in the RS is phenomenal. My manual GT3 was not as much fun to drive on track compared to the lightning quick snap shifts of the PDK. But I still keep a manual car around for nostalgia and to hopefully teach my kids to drive someday!
Old 02-24-2019, 11:29 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 388 Likes on 276 Posts

PDK if you are tracking the car and are concerned with tenths of a second or you can't handle urban traffic and a manual transmission otherwise manual all the way.
Old 02-24-2019, 03:07 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Both my wife and I are diehard manual drivers, and I wish my Allroad was available with a stick. However, I had the chance to drive PDK equipped 911s and Caymans at a track event, and I was very impressed. I'm not ready for one yet, but I have no problem with those that go that route, whether it be for the track or the street. I'm just happy the Porsche makes something for just about everyone.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Bolo
Yeah...I know....

Its remarkable how popular the PDK has been though.
Safe to say a lot of people stepped into the dealership thinking, "Manual or nothing," and had their minds changed on one or more test drives.
Old 02-25-2019, 01:04 PM
phm14
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a personal thing, but if you haven'r driven both PDK and MT Porsche transmissions, your perspective is limited. The 1st used car I bought ~1980 was a stick, and I've driven them all my life. The last 2 "fun" cars I've had, over the past 3+ years, were autos, and I missed driving a MT. The 991.2 I recently bought has both the MT and "emergency" rear seating I wanted, plus many more attributes I love. The new Supra and LC500 were both eliminated on the lack of MT alone. I'm taking my '18 C2 to COTA in April, and I assure you that I won't be thinking about lap times as I enjoy exploring the limits of the very capable "base" 911. My preference for a MT boils down to one word: control. I want the car to do what I want, when I want, and quickly. Very quickly. I've come to appreciate Nick Murrys' videos on the 911, largely because he has ownership experience with the 991 &991.2, as well as driving experience with many past and present Porsche gearboxes. The PDK is one of, if not the best production auto. This video gives insight into some of the pros & cons of modern DCTs:
My DD is a '18 Tundra. Occasional moto & MTB injuries over the decades have taught me that toy haulers and DDs with autos can, at times, be more than moderately convenient. I remember very clearly driving to shoulder rehab for six weeks, shifting with my left hand in a left drive MT truck.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by phm14
It's a personal thing, but if you haven'r driven both PDK and MT Porsche transmissions, your perspective is limited. The 1st used car I bought ~1980 was a stick, and I've driven them all my life. The last 2 "fun" cars I've had, over the past 3+ years, were autos, and I missed driving a MT. The 991.2 I recently bought has both the MT and "emergency" rear seating I wanted, plus many more attributes I love. The new Supra and LC500 were both eliminated on the lack of MT alone. I'm taking my '18 C2 to COTA in April, and I assure you that I won't be thinking about lap times as I enjoy exploring the limits of the very capable "base" 911. My preference for a MT boils down to one word: control. I want the car to do what I want, when I want, and quickly. Very quickly. I've come to appreciate Nick Murrys' videos on the 911, largely because he has ownership experience with the 991 &991.2, as well as driving experience with many past and present Porsche gearboxes. The PDK is one of, if not the best production auto. This video gives insight into some of the pros & cons of modern DCTs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RPKiAy4eVQ
My DD is a '18 Tundra. Occasional moto & MTB injuries over the decades have taught me that toy haulers and DDs with autos can, at times, be more than moderately convenient. I remember very clearly driving to shoulder rehab for six weeks, shifting with my left hand in a left drive MT truck.
Yup, I can clearly remember manually shifting with a broken wrist. Not comfortable.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:22 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove bmw 328i manual for almost 10 years in LA. I can tell you it was not great experience.

It doesnt not matter how good you are. you are bound to stall the engine occasionally, especially in very slow traffic (405, 10 fwy)

If you are with a girl, it's the most embarrassing feeling.

Once I stalled so hard, I thought someone hit me from behind.

Plus, your MPG is crap. like 50% worse, esp. when you drive aggressively.

Therefore, I cannot understand why anyone want manual except to enjoy stalling and waste gas.
Old 02-25-2019, 07:23 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I really hope Porsche does away with Manual. It's so obsolete like gas cars.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:33 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
I really hope Porsche does away with Manual. It's so obsolete like gas cars.
Electric cars aren't zero emissions. Where do you think the power is coming from? That's before we get into the lithium problem.

0-60 times aren't the end all of sports cars. Some people want to enjoy their A-B.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:22 AM
Cowhorn
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
It doesnt not matter how good you are. you are bound to stall the engine occasionally, especially in very slow traffic (405, 10 fwy)
C'mon, man.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Cowhorn
C'mon, man.
Really...have not stalled mine and I cannot see it could happen unless I was in a wreck or something...the manual in my Targa GTS is sublime.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:17 AM
phm14
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stall the car? With the hill hold feature, my 911 MT is the easiest I've ever driven. Seven forward gears is lot to cram into a shift gate, though. I find it's best to slow downshifts a bit, until the pattern becomes second nature. Some say they like the PDK better for track, and I'm sure it is faster/easier. For me, I'm there to enjoy myself, and don't get to concerned with lap times or point bys...
Old 02-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,480 Likes on 628 Posts

Agree. The 6 speed in my BS still amazes me after nearly 7 years. And HTing is so perfect and easy that it just makes me smile like no other car can. (That's why I wish rev matching was a standalone option or at least a standalone, button-activated feature on the 992) The 7 speed in the 911 (non-GT cars) bothers me. I really, really wish they would revert back to the 6-speed, but at least a manual will still be offered. I guess I could just replace the **** with one from a Boxster or Cayman and forget that there is an extra gear. Since the 7-speed was just a mechanical version of the 7-speed DPK, I guess it made economic sense to use it, but now that the PDK is 8-speeds, a 7-speed manual makes no sense. Extra gas mileage is a sorry excuse. I'd gladly give up 5 bhp (if that would even be necessary) in order to lose 7th with the manual. Since it seems that Porsche may be ready to eat crow over putting a 4-cylinder in the B/C, it would be perfect timing for them to do the same with the 7-speed manual: admit the mistake and give us a 6-speed!

Quick Reply: How many are waiting for manual