Sponsored by:

How many are waiting for manual

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 03:22 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by wizee

4k is around 36 km/h (22 mph) in first gear. It’s very easy to hit that in a left turn.
Yeah, but not with the PDK doing its thing, unless you're in Sport+ or manual and can't find your paddles.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:29 PM
poverty spec
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm interested in how the manual will be geared.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:31 PM
mdkrp
Burning Brakes

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

I have been fortunate to have had both manual and PDK; hands down manual for me but its such a personal decision. Only time I really miss the PDK is when I take car out on track but only get out twice/year lately.
my current Targa GTS 991.1 is coming off lease end of this month and I need to decide whether to buy it (I really love this one) or flip it and wait to order the 992 Targa GTS which I understand is not avail for a year or so...
Earlier poster said something about a 6 speed from the R; that would be so amazing but I bet Porsche only teases us and gives us a 7 speed.
Old 12-22-2018, 03:55 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 195 Posts

I'm awaiting a 991.2 GTS 7MT due in early March. But if I were to have waited on the 992s, I would be waiting for a manual.

Only way I would get a 911 w/out manual is if I'm getting a GT3 or 3RS with the intent to put more than 50% of the miles on it at a track. And this is with me thinking the PDK was brilliant, from all the test drives. I just find a manual so much more engaging, so much a part of the joy I get when out driving.

It's not like I would hate a 911 w/PDK. I'd still love it, I'm sure. The excitement of improved acceleration and the thrill of rapid-fire upshifts would be great.

But I would miss having a manual.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:41 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by mdkrp
I have been fortunate to have had both manual and PDK; hands down manual for me but its such a personal decision. Only time I really miss the PDK is when I take car out on track but only get out twice/year lately.
my current Targa GTS 991.1 is coming off lease end of this month and I need to decide whether to buy it (I really love this one) or flip it and wait to order the 992 Targa GTS which I understand is not avail for a year or so...
Earlier poster said something about a 6 speed from the R; that would be so amazing but I bet Porsche only teases us and gives us a 7 speed.
I was in a similar boat last month. My lease was ending, and my car was worth more than my purchase option. I thought about trading it in for another 991.2 or flipping it and being 991less for the winter/spring (you definitely don't have the winter problem) and picking up a 992 next summer. When I stepped back and looked at my options I ultimately decided to keep the car. I had it built exactly the way I wanted it, and I just love it. It turns out I made the right decision. Had I put the money I used to buy it into the market, I would have lost a decent (or indecent) portion of it, and the December weather here in PA was good enough that I ended up driving the 991 more than my Allroad. To top it off, it looks like the manual 992s won't be available until next fall, which would have had me without a 911 (except for my wife's 997) for much longer than I had planned.

My advice is to buy your car and keep it until your 992 arrives.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:46 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Waiting to see and drive the car. If it’s okay, I’ll get a manual. If not, I don’t know what I’ll do. My lease is up in 11 months.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:09 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,365 Likes on 2,308 Posts

If you are even thinking that the manual may be the best for you, since you said "People seem to really like the PDK but I just don't think I will enjoy as much." you cannot get the PDK no matter how long it takes, trust me. If I was not able to get my 991.2 in a manual I would not have it.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:52 PM
Bolo
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you are even thinking that the manual may be the best for you, since you said "People seem to really like the PDK but I just don't think I will enjoy as much." you cannot get the PDK no matter how long it takes, trust me. If I was not able to get my 991.2 in a manual I would not have it.
Yeah...I know....

Its remarkable how popular the PDK has been though.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:33 PM
Avalon911
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 31 Posts

Every time I buy a sports car with an automatic transmission, I wish I bought a manual. Every time I buy a sports car with a manual, it never occurs to me that I should have gotten the auto.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:12 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Yes. Already lost a lot of money on a PDK TT. Won't do that again. PDKs or their equivalent are a self fulfilling prophecy. At some point, no one buying cars will have any idea how to drive a MT.
Not far off the mark. A report from U.S. News and World Report shows only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift.

The advantage of a manual transmission now is that the chance of your car getting stolen is significantly lower than with a PDK.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:55 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by enduro963
The PDK is the PDK and even if it is a better PDK in this new generation car, I want a manual. I think we are going to get the 6 speed from the R, but we will have to pay for it. We will see..,
Don't think the 6spd is coming to Carreras - they need the tall 7th gear for emisisons, noise, and consumption reasons. Better save for a 992 GT3/Touring

Old 12-24-2018, 08:56 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Every time I buy a sports car with an automatic transmission, I wish I bought a manual. Every time I buy a sports car with a manual, it never occurs to me that I should have gotten the auto.
+1 Me too
Old 12-25-2018, 03:24 PM
Bobby 911
Banned

Received 355 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If I was not able to get my 991.2 in a manual I would not have it.
This ^^^

Originally Posted by Bolo
Its remarkable how popular the PDK has been though.
Not really. PDK makes even the least skilled driver feel competent behind the wheel. This, coupled with the convenience of needing to use only one hand and one foot, makes it an easy popularity winner.

Originally Posted by Avalon911
Indeed!
Old 12-26-2018, 12:36 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Not far off the mark. A report from U.S. News and World Report shows only 18 percent of U.S. drivers know how to operate a stick shift.

The advantage of a manual transmission now is that the chance of your car getting stolen is significantly lower than with a PDK.
And the people who drive stick probably don't belong to the car stealing demographic. Even better.
Old 12-26-2018, 02:32 PM
SEG
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

A few years ago, I was ready for my first Porsche. I agonized for months trying to decide between the pdk and the manual. I couldn't get away from the 0-60 times and the fact that the pdk was materially quicker. So I bought a very gently used 2013 4S with pdk. It is a really awesome transmission, super intuitive and shifts lightning quick. But I missed the engagement of the manual. In the real world, 0-60 times rarely matter. My drag racing days are behind me. I sold the 4S and ordered a 2017 GTS with a manual. I never miss the pdk and don't plan on ever selling the GTS (it will likely be the last new manual car I buy).

I have spent a reasonable amount of track time in the GTS, both manual and pdk, at Porsche driving school in Alabama. Maybe at the limits, there is a difference. As a non professional driver, you don't get near the limits of these cars. The reality is that because of the torque curve, you can pretty much leave the manual in third and run most tracks without a real need to shift (maybe down to second for a particularly sharp turn or up to fourth on a long straight) but that is it. If you are back and forth in your head, avoid the multi thousand dollar mistake and get the manual. That said If you are primarily looking to squeeze out a few few tenths or maybe even a second or two on track, get the pdk (or get a used GT3 for similar money).

Quick Reply: How many are waiting for manual