First look at the 992 away from the lights… - Page 5 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 992
Reload this Page >

First look at the 992 away from the lights…

Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

First look at the 992 away from the lights…

Old 01-02-2019, 03:31 PM
  #61  
911boy
User
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,139
Default

Originally Posted by limegreen View Post
It's pretty easy to accurately criticize the 992 without first hand experience. The car utilizes the same platform and engine so let's be honest, how different can it possibly be? Going from 993-996 or 997-991 is a completely different story. I'll drive one when it comes out and what will it drive like? A lot like a 991.2 with minor differences I'd wager....

Secondly, real pictures aren't some sort of trickster illusion and after studying the multitude of pictures available the 992 is just plain ugly and awkward in many aspects in my opinion. It's a lousy redesign, period and I highly doubt seeing one in person is going to change that. How can I be so sure? Because every car in the last 20 years that I've loved or hated started with the pictures and while maybe certain things got better or worse in real life I have never found them dramatic enough to question my ability to make an accurate pre judgement. The ugly rear end, the homogenized styling , cheesy door handles, over loaded tech / Panamera interior etc etc none of that is going to suddenly look good or go away in the first person.

My advice to anyone on the fence and waiting to see one is to trust your eyes and gut now to avoid showroom despair later.....
The trouble is you hate everything so I wouldn't take any advise from you. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it terrible. Lets try to keep all the negativity to the haters thread. Thanks though.
911boy is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 AM
  #62  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,690
Default

Thanks for a great evening read, Pete. The shots of the raw tub are very revealing (no pun intended). I suspect some of the missing metal on either side of the shock towers was a liposuction job for the increased weight from the wheels, particulate filter, PDK unit and more massive turbo/intercooler system. Echoing everyone else, 200-300 lbs is a humongous turkey dinner.

Most peculiar to me are those shock tower straps. I wonder if they were needed as a (second) bandaid to reinforce the towers after removing the metal from either side. Those just do not seem like typical Porsche engineering. We see 'fixes' like this sometimes in the .2 versions but not the launch gen.

Looking forward to the notes from your drive in Valencia and what pops up in 000.
nwGTS is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 12:47 PM
  #63  
waiting for PDK
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 226
Default

What happened to the PSCB partial ceramic brakes that were supposed to migrate from the Cayenne? Saved for the facelift?
waiting for PDK is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 02:26 PM
  #64  
nwGTS
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
nwGTS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 3,690
Default

Originally Posted by waiting for PDK View Post
What happened to the PSCB partial ceramic brakes that were supposed to migrate from the Cayenne? Saved for the facelift?
Another thread indicated they would be available to spec later next year along with a few other options like the 7MT. I suspect they will be available in the first gen 992.
nwGTS is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 03:58 PM
  #65  
Ccpecot
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Atlanta area, GA
Posts: 182
Default

Great write up and nice pics of the cut-away. I see that your pics have spread now on FB.....Suncoast gave you credit for the photos
Ccpecot is offline  
Old 01-03-2019, 05:00 PM
  #66  
hlvg
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
hlvg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: San Jose, CA - USA
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by nwGTS View Post
Thanks for a great evening read, Pete. The shots of the raw tub are very revealing (no pun intended). I suspect some of the missing metal on either side of the shock towers was a liposuction job for the increased weight from the wheels, particulate filter, PDK unit and more massive turbo/intercooler system. Echoing everyone else, 200-300 lbs is a humongous turkey dinner.

Most peculiar to me are those shock tower straps. I wonder if they were needed as a (second) bandaid to reinforce the towers after removing the metal from either side. Those just do not seem like typical Porsche engineering. We see 'fixes' like this sometimes in the .2 versions but not the launch gen.

Looking forward to the notes from your drive in Valencia and what pops up in 000.
It's probably about to get worst with the additional weight incurred on the hybrid models (battery etc.)
hlvg is offline  
Old 01-04-2019, 02:32 PM
  #67  
digits
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
digits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Seattle
Posts: 384
Default

Originally Posted by hlvg View Post
It's probably about to get worst with the additional weight incurred on the hybrid models (battery etc.)
Yes, no doubt about that! I'm sure Porsche's finest engineers are struggling with that challenge as we speak - but I'm anxiously waiting to see how that project turns out. Maybe the hybrid version gets something like the 718's 4-cyl to compensate? We'd call it a 912 instead of a 911 - but they could drop some weight that way. Considering the implications of the new chassis rail engine mount that Pete pointed out - does eliminating the "crossbar" help with battery placement?
digits is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 09:36 PM
  #68  
Diablo Dude
User
 
Diablo Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 589
Default

Thanks Pete.
Love the photos of the chassis!
Diablo Dude is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: