Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 has new/bigger turbos with more lag and 8 other facts!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:53 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Isn't that hilarious about the asymmetrical turbo plumbing in the 991.2? I've never seen a single thing about that before this 992 launch. The 9A2 was nothing more than the result of a half a$$ed rush job in order to slap that turbo engine together and into the 991.2 by a team of reluctant engineers. No one wanted a downsized turbo Carrera including Porsche itself. They had to " make it work " then of course amp up the marketing hype and "more usable torque" benefit as a way to spin that negative into a positive.

While it's great to see they corrected this issue with 992 I was really hoping to see more in terms of better packaging ease of maintenance, a larger opening for engine access etc. Wishful thinking I know....
yes...what a horrible motor. somehow, everyone raves about it.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:34 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 542 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Isn't that hilarious about the asymmetrical turbo plumbing in the 991.2? I've never seen a single thing about that before this 992 launch.
Actually, just about every twin turbo engine out there in a flat or V configuration uses asymmetric turbos. Or rather, two turbos that have the same direction of rotation that necessitates asymmetric setup of the headers, etc. This 992 Carrera is actually the first I've heard of using a regular rotation and reverse rotation turbo to create a symmetric setup. The reason it isn't done is because it requires basically double the tooling costs for the turbos. Porsche must have decided the sales volumes of the Carrera justified the extra capital expense.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:06 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

I read most of that article and just vomited a little
Old 12-20-2018, 11:27 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Seriously no one here seems to be bothered by the Software controlling the car in locations you are in - Seriously...Nany Car from what I can tell. Request more data on this
Old 12-21-2018, 12:08 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan

Apparently you are confused about the “snowflake” term, off by ~180 degrees.
That post would be a “Libertarian” yelling at the clouds chum.

But, hey, if you’re happy shelling out well over $120K for a sports car with built in computer controls that limit your ability to control the performance when it “thinks” it is improper to do so...have at and be a conformist little snowflake yourself whining about people who resist such intrusions.

You sound triggered.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You couldn't escape wood in early cars? What? It wasn't as though porsche couldn't have used plastic. They used wood because it fit with the GRAND TOURING nature of the car. Your 991 is a grand touring car just like the 992. There is nothing raw about a 991 or 997 for that matter. And the 992 interior more closely mimics the air cooled interior than the 991 interior does, so BS.

usual bull**** about how the new generation lost its way, which is exactly what the 997 people said about the 991. blah blah
Lol. You sound triggered too. I didn't say it "lost its way."

There's "nothing raw" about a 997 huh? Ever communicate with people outside of a car message board?

Oh the interior "closely mimics" early cars alright. That massive screen, digital Atari gauges, thumbtack nubbin, and massive shelf running along the dash really screams "classic 911's" lol. Get back to us when you've sat in a 992, like I have.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:37 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Seriously no one here seems to be bothered by the Software controlling the car in locations you are in - Seriously...Nany Car from what I can tell. Request more data on this

The 911 is moving further into the abyss with every .2 and generation. Will be renamed Panamera coupe in no time.

21" rears
Shifter nubbin
Third brake light
Non coherent and design that fights itself

Car is trying to be all things to everyone. That's the issue. Trying to please every stakeholder and buyer.

The end.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:08 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

yes...what a horrible motor. somehow, everyone raves about it.
I've read quite a few posts to the contrary.
Old 12-21-2018, 09:16 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

gee, I wonder from whom. Could it be the NA nerds with hate for anything with a turbo. When it comes to actual performance, maybe not sound, the motor has been nearly universally praised as tractable, powerful, smooth, reliable, and with minimal lag.
Old 12-21-2018, 11:11 AM
K-A
Drifting

gee, I wonder from whom. Could it be the NA nerds with hate for anything with a turbo. When it comes to actual performance, maybe not sound, the motor has been nearly universally praised as tractable, powerful, smooth, reliable, and with minimal lag.
Lol. Nah, just the 9A2. Not anything near “all turbo’s.”

I don’t even mind the 9A2 as a performance engine. Pretty much performs like your standard very good 3.0L boosted motor these days (the homogeny is part of the issue), with the added benefit of being a flat six, made by the most talented car manufacturer on the planet. Of course it’ll perform well. It’s the sound that spoils it to me. And the throttle response/turbo lag also sucks out some direct engagement (for me), especially as you move up the range to the more powerful variations with larger turbos (although I do still prefer them over the 9A2 base).
Old 12-21-2018, 03:10 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 168 Posts

My drives in the 991.2 S and GTS left me feeling that the car had too much lag. I liked the smaller turbo setup of the base engine and the T was a great fit for me.

There is a lot to love about the turbo 3.0 but the 3.4 in my Cayman used to have instant response when you opened the throttle. The gearing sucked but that’s another topic.

On the 992, more lag, more weight, slower response are not words that will ever excite me.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Sausage416
Pro

Received 332 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A

Lol. Nah, just the 9A2. Not anything near “all turbo’s.”

I don’t even mind the 9A2 as a performance engine. Pretty much performs like your standard very good 3.0L boosted motor these days (the homogeny is part of the issue), with the added benefit of being a flat six, made by the most talented car manufacturer on the planet. Of course it’ll perform well. It’s the sound that spoils it to me. And the throttle response/turbo lag also sucks out some direct engagement (for me), especially as you move up the range to the more powerful variations with larger turbos (although I do still prefer them over the 9A2 base).
sounds like you need a 991.2 gt3.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Car is fat as many people are fat now these days....sad.

Looks like we will have to remove the back seats to save some weight and I am sure there will be some after market components to alter to reduce weight. Sports car gaining weight is just sad in my book
Old 12-24-2018, 08:46 AM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sausage416
sounds like you need a 991.2 gt3.
Tell me about it.

Originally Posted by ClassJ
My drives in the 991.2 S and GTS left me feeling that the car had too much lag.

..but the 3.4 in my Cayman used to have instant response when you opened the throttle. The gearing sucked but that’s another topic.
Agreed on these points. The gearing on my PDK could be closer, though I've gotten the hang of the powerband to gear ratio a lot (you're basically forced into a third gear game). I like winding up and down, and lots of shifting, for increased engagement (not the best for track, but I don't take my car on track), so I would like the gears to be less long.
Old 12-24-2018, 11:37 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Jackie Stewart on Jim Clark - "Jim was always first into a taller gear" .

Also, no one is really worrying about lag or throttle response - it was virtually dialled out of all 991.2 models, I never feel any significant lag in my GTS the only time you notice any lag, and its minor, is from a cold start. last day of the season I shredded a worn pair of MPSC2N1s using throttle balance whilst drifting through corners. Obviously no issue with throttle response too . .

Honestly, the lag and throttle response stuff is way overblown Pun intended. merry xmas
Old 12-25-2018, 12:57 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 631 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
Also, no one is really worrying about lag or throttle response - it was virtually dialled out of all 991.2 models, I never feel any significant lag in my GTS the only time you notice any lag, and its minor, is from a cold start. last day of the season I shredded a worn pair of MPSC2N1s using throttle balance whilst drifting through corners. Obviously no issue with throttle response too . .

Honestly, the lag and throttle response stuff is way overblown Pun intended. merry xmas
Plenty of people are worrying about lag.

I’ve driven my friends 991.2 GTS extensively and the lag annoys the hell out of me. Very noticeable in all driving situations other than going all out on track, where it doesn’t have it.

One of the the key reasons I will never drive anything but an NA GT car.

Quick Reply: 992 has new/bigger turbos with more lag and 8 other facts!