Sponsored by:

Autogefuhl Review and Drive of 992

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 05:16 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I have as much contempt and hate for the new car as anyone.... but the animosity for the nubbin is overkill IMO. The Italians haven't had a manual looking shifter in their automatics (SCT/DCT) in a long time. My old Jag XKR had a rotary selector which was great. I mean, the whole purpose of paddles is to keep your hands ON THE WHEEL. I remember seeing an AMG CLK63 Black series review some time ago and the presenter commented on what it is with a giant gear selector that we feel we need? It will be like having physical buttons on a cell phone... I mean - who still has a blackberry with a qwerty keyboard? VAG has a new executive staff post diesel gate and the future is coming.

The shifter being small because of buttons does not bode well for a manual version either....
I agree. I was actually one of those who was complaining when AMG started launching cars without a center console shifter. But having had a 2018 E63S for almost a year now, I can honestly say I haven't missed the center console shifter once. I also don't think I have used it on my other cars. In my Turbo S I always shift with the steering mounted shifters.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:21 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
I have as much contempt and hate for the new car as anyone.... but the animosity for the nubbin is overkill IMO. The Italians haven't had a manual looking shifter in their automatics (SCT/DCT) in a long time. My old Jag XKR had a rotary selector which was great. I mean, the whole purpose of paddles is to keep your hands ON THE WHEEL. I remember seeing an AMG CLK63 Black series review some time ago and the presenter commented on what it is with a giant gear selector that we feel we need? It will be like having physical buttons on a cell phone... I mean - who still has a blackberry with a qwerty keyboard? VAG has a new executive staff post diesel gate and the future is coming.

The shifter being small because of buttons does not bode well for a manual version either....
It's a misery why they didnt use the shifter from Panamera. It's small and perfect. They over-engineered it.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:43 PM
seis-speed
Pro

Received 426 Likes on 186 Posts

These videos popped up when watching the vid in the OP.

Extreme Testing - shifts a manual at 1:13

Sounds pretty good in this video.

Last edited by seis-speed; 12-19-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Autogefuhl Review and Drive of 992