Sponsored by:

Everything you wanted to know about the 992 but was afraid to ask

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 09:32 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

This is awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Curious if the 992 Cabrio GTx is a Speedster or something else down the line.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is brilliant, thank you for posting it. What’s been really annoying to me is the amount of bashing on the 992 Board from owners of a 991. If you don’t feel like selling your car to buy a 992, then don’t freaking do it. The 992 is vastly improvement from the 991. The interior looks gorgeous, the exterior looks edgier, and the technology is vastly improved. Time to stop rationalizing why you don’t want to buy one and enjoy what Porsche has created.
Old 12-29-2018, 03:33 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
This is brilliant, thank you for posting it. What’s been really annoying to me is the amount of bashing on the 992 Board from owners of a 991. If you don’t feel like selling your car to buy a 992, then don’t freaking do it. The 992 is vastly improvement from the 991. The interior looks gorgeous, the exterior looks edgier, and the technology is vastly improved. Time to stop rationalizing why you don’t want to buy one and enjoy what Porsche has created.
i mean. it's better on balance sure. but it's laced with compromise like most modern products are. it's that latent compromise that tears at the soul of the purist, IMHO.

it's the best iphone ever made that doesn't come with a headphone jack or removable battery because reasons.

not to mention, the car's limits became sufficient four generations ago and the incremental loss of feel and experience for the sake of "performance" is not a desirable trade.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:16 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
i mean. it's better on balance sure. but it's laced with compromise like most modern products are. it's that latent compromise that tears at the soul of the purist, IMHO.

it's the best iphone ever made that doesn't come with a headphone jack or removable battery because reasons.

not to mention, the car's limits became sufficient four generations ago and the incremental loss of feel and experience for the sake of "performance" is not a desirable trade.
And what exactly is "lost" in terms of "feel and experience" with the 992? Did you drive one yet?
Old 12-30-2018, 04:04 PM
FactoryMatt
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
And what exactly is "lost" in terms of "feel and experience" with the 992? Did you drive one yet?
weighs more
larger wheels means higher CG
more tech
larger turbos mean more lag

O they apparently tried their hardest to make it not look like this...
why are you a 992 apologist anyway?

Old 12-30-2018, 06:15 PM
murox
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcginn
Current 991 owners are the most likely demographic to purchase a 992. As an owner of a 991 (and previously another 991, and a 997 before that) I was looking forward to purchasing a 992, but Porsche apparently cares more about their eastern market expansion into Asia than what their western "purists" think of the car. Too heavy, too much plastic, too much digital instrumentation, too many design flaws to list . . .

Sign me up for a GT4.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:06 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by murox
Current 991 owners are the most likely demographic to purchase a 992. As an owner of a 991 (and previously another 991, and a 997 before that) I was looking forward to purchasing a 992, but Porsche apparently cares more about their eastern market expansion into Asia than what their western "purists" think of the car. Too heavy, too much plastic, too much digital instrumentation, too many design flaws to list . . .

Sign me up for a GT4.
A few decades from now, an engineer will design a light, flat four, 2+2, rear engine sportscar. Basically a 718 with the engine hung out behind the axle. He'll call it the 356, after some car he read about in a book.

Ten years later, that same engineer will decide to stuff a flat six in place of the four, transforming the car into a wickedly unhinged beast, at least with the traction control off. He'll call it the 901.

And so the cycle begins again.

Lol
Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryMatt
weighs more
larger wheels means higher CG
more tech
larger turbos mean more lag

O they apparently tried their hardest to make it not look like this...
why are you a 992 apologist anyway?

"992 apologist"?

Quick Reply: Everything you wanted to know about the 992 but was afraid to ask