Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992's fake exhaust tips? It could be worse...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 06:01 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Some of us don't care. Fake exhaust sound, however, is something I will not support...if it cannot be easily defeated, I will not buy the car.

The 'fake' exhausts are not new. This is a photo of my Lamborghini; the car is a 2013 but the model debuted a decade ago. If you look closely you can see the tips are connected to the fascia, not the pipes. Was it done to cut costs? Maybe indirectly; having the tips always centered in the fascia probably reduced engineering/cost of the exhaust to some extent...or maybe it is simply to keep the hot exhaust away from flammable plastic...or both. Either way, it certainly wasn't going to keep me from buying the car...nor would the 992's slightly more removed arrangement keep me from buying one.

Ok, so how would you feel if (when) Porsche decides to follow Audi and produce 100% fake exhaust outlets like the ones pictured at the top of this thread while the real outlet hides beneath the body work?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:11 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
You answered your own question. Some of us are personally affronted because we have been Porsche enthusiast and owners nearly our whole lives. We don't cross shop Porsche with other brands because we have already determined there isn't anything that compares. When they begin to misstep we do take it personally because these are cars that we have loved and remained loyal to all our lives and when they begin to insult the intelligence of their enthusiast base with the nonsense they are putting out we get pissed off and rightfully so. For others that cross shop and brand hop I can see how they would't understand but what I can't understand is the tolerance of cheapened products offering less value for a higher price .
misstep? Insult your intelligence? We are talking about a detail on a car that you don’t like that is evolving slowly . Time for you to cross shop I guess.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:21 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Ok, so how would you feel if (when) Porsche decides to follow Audi and produce 100% fake exhaust outlets like the ones pictured at the top of this thread while the real outlet hides beneath the body work?
I would feel worse if I found it necessary to invent hypothetical details to deride over stying details that I didn't like, but your milage may vary.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:27 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I would feel worse if I found it necessary to invent hypothetical details to deride over stying details that I didn't like, but your milage may vary.
So how would you feel about someone answering a question that wasn't even directed at them?

Or how about the same group of trolls that show up on every thread?
Old 12-11-2018, 06:31 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm not at all concerned. If Porsche doesn't build what I want, I get something else. I bought the Lamborghini because in 2013-2014 you could not buy a Porsche GT car with manual transmission...simple as that. When Porsche did start making the GT3 with a manual transmission last year, but not enough of them for me to walk into any of my local dealers and order one...I bought a 993. And this from a 30 year PCA member, 13 year POC member, and lifelong Porsche sports car owner.

There's no reason to get worked up over it.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:35 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

So how would you feel about someone answering a question that wasn't even directed at them?

Or how about the same group of trolls that show up on every thread?
Go cut and paste your derision in again. It is getting to define you.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:42 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
I'm not at all concerned. If Porsche doesn't build what I want, I get something else. I bought the Lamborghini because in 2013-2014 you could not buy a Porsche GT car with manual transmission...simple as that. When Porsche did start making the GT3 with a manual transmission last year, but not enough of them for me to walk into any of my local dealers and order one...I bought a 993. And this from a 30 year PCA member, 13 year POC member, and lifelong Porsche sports car owner.

There's no reason to get worked up over it.

Interesting that on one hand you draw a line in the sand over fake exhaust sound but not on fake muffler outlets? Clearly demonstrating that there are things that you do care about , though it may differ slightly from what others may care about. Regardless it's arguing the same problem from opposite ends and clearly we both agree that fake things have no place in real cars.

I think some of you are missing the point. If Porsche was a sports team that you followed and remained a loyal fan of what would you do when they started switching out your favorite players and began making poor decisions and losing what made them great? Would you switch to the winning team? That's called following the band wagon and it's that lack of loyalty that causes these companies to scramble for market share by casting wider nets , diluting their products and doing anything they can to regain sales which is ultimately never good for the enthusiast or product.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:45 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Go cut and paste your derision in again. It is getting to define you.

I'd rather you just cut yourself right out of this thread because clearly your not interested in the discussion and your comments are insufferable.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:53 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

You answered your own question. Some of us are personally affronted because we have been Porsche enthusiast and owners nearly our whole lives. We don't cross shop Porsche with other brands because we have already determined there isn't anything that compares. When they begin to misstep we do take it personally because these are cars that we have loved and remained loyal to all our lives and when they begin to insult the intelligence of their enthusiast base with the nonsense they are putting out we get pissed off and rightfully so. For others that cross shop and brand hop I can see how they would't understand but what I can't understand is the tolerance of cheapened products offering less value for a higher price .
Do you see the irony in your stance? Individuals that you criticize, who "cross shop and brand hop" are actually the ones who won't necessarily "tolerate" changes that they don't like from Porsche. Those, like yourself, who "don't cross shop Porsche with other brands because we have already determined there isn't anything that compares", are the ones who are drinking the cool aid.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:07 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mb1
Do you see the irony in your stance? Individuals that you criticize, who "cross shop and brand hop" are actually the ones who won't necessarily "tolerate" changes that they don't like from Porsche. Those, like yourself, who "don't cross shop Porsche with other brands because we have already determined there isn't anything that compares", are the ones who are drinking the cool aid.
No , I don't see it at all. What I do see is an industry absolutely rife with cost cutting nonsense and poor / questionable decisions made one after the other. Porsche, a company that typically retained tradition and form follows function design had long seemed to have defied the odds and remained the only island in a sea of industry missteps. Now to see them quickly adopting the same tactics plaguing the industry is infuriating.

What else is there? Honestly? Nothing even comes close to offering the experience, performance , value , style , quality and reliability that Porsche has always offered. Now to watch them slipping for me doesn't mean it's time to jump ship because frankly there actually isn't anything worth swimming to.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:09 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Exhaust tips and engines will be all gone in 10 years cus electric cars are taking over whether you like or not.

It's a mistake Porsche is not embracing the future.

Tesla has biggest marketcap of all automakers is the indication, regardless Elon smokes weed or not.
What do you mean Porsche is not embracing the future? They are coming out with the ALL ELECTRIC Taycan sedan. The Cayman and Panamera are plug in hybrids. Their halo car the 918 is a plug in hybrid. And the 992 will likely become hybrid for the refresh (992.2).
Old 12-11-2018, 07:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Interesting that on one hand you draw a line in the sand over fake exhaust sound but not on fake muffler outlets? Clearly demonstrating that there are things that you do care about , though it may differ slightly from what others may care about. Regardless it's arguing the same problem from opposite ends and clearly we both agree that fake things have no place in real cars.

I think some of you are missing the point. If Porsche was a sports team that you followed and remained a loyal fan of what would you do when they started switching out your favorite players and began making poor decisions and losing what made them great? Would you switch to the winning team? That's called following the band wagon and it's that lack of loyalty that causes these companies to scramble for market share by casting wider nets , diluting their products and doing anything they can to regain sales which is ultimately never good for the enthusiast or product.
Ultimately I enjoy cars because I enjoy driving them...the interaction...take some of that away, in the case of artificial sound...and it detracts from the enjoyment for me. Others...perhaps those that love video games...may be fine with simulated interaction. I do not like styling frippery...whether it be fake intakes/ducting, fake exhausts, decorative carbon fiber, or pointless aero appendages...but generally I overlook it if the driving experience is sublime. And nobody outside of Porsche has driven the 992 yet.

I don't think your analogy is a good one, but it explains a lot about your comments on here. Design is subjective; a team's statistics are not.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:39 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Are styled exhausts a sign that Porsche is hopelessly mired in the past or the future?

Old 12-11-2018, 09:34 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Some guys happen to like girls with fake *****. In fact I have a friend who use to rave about them. Some guys, like me, cannot even get a chub if I’m with a girl that has fake *****. It’s a deal breaker and always will be for me.

Different strokes. I don’t like fake anything, whether it be a materialistic thing or a societal thing. I don’t get excited about going to Disney in Orlando Florida when they blow fake bubble snow in my face trying to replicate a real winter scene at 85F. Give me the real thing!

This exhaust fakery really disheartens me. Cracks are starting to show. If I do happen to buy a 992 (which I’m still on the fence about) I definitely will not be ordering the PSE. Am I understanding correctly that the standard carrera S quad pipes will be “real”?
Old 12-11-2018, 09:47 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I remember right before we picked up the Macan for my folks and we were cross shopping the Merc GLC300- we were unimpressed with the amount of hard plastic in the car, and the fake exhaust tips. Sadly now most cars have fake exhaust tips connected to the bumper.

My wife drives a lexus gs with the fake tips and the inner parts of the white bumper have heat damage, due to fake tips getting too hot.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992's fake exhaust tips? It could be worse...