Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992's fake exhaust tips? It could be worse...

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 03:51 AM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Old 12-11-2018, 04:58 AM
VOLTCONTROL
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Whatever the reasoning ( or excuses) behind it, there is absolutely no excuse for having fake exhaust outlets or finishers on the rear bumper of any car. One of the most beautiful modern day classic BMW's simply hid the muffler outlet under the rear bumper and the rear of the car simply looks all the better and cleaner for it.

If you want to hide the exhaust is how you do it indeed.
My more modern (Hybrid! :O ) BMW daily does have a pretty decent looking real exhaust sticking out its backside now that I think of it.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Of course the 911 has a six cylinder engine in two banks of three, thus only needs two real tips - not four
Old 12-11-2018, 07:00 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Exhaust tips and engines will be all gone in 10 years cus electric cars are taking over whether you like or not.

It's a mistake Porsche is not embracing the future.

Tesla has biggest marketcap of all automakers is the indication, regardless Elon smokes weed or not.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:07 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Exhaust tips and engines will be all gone in 10 years cus electric cars are taking over whether you like or not.

Tesla has biggest marketcap of all automakers is the indication, regardless Elon smokes weed or not.
The problem is your statement is incorrect - most projections are ~ 50% of cars by 2050 will be electric.
Old 12-11-2018, 08:55 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 994 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
The problem is your statement is incorrect - most projections are ~ 50% of cars by 2050 will be electric.
I'd be surprised if it was that many (registered cars) still on the road.

More and more cities are calling for an outright ban of internal combustion engines within city limits. If that trend continues it will only pressure people to adopt other means of transport.

At some point things are going to rapidly slide. Here is why:

1. As the number of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles decline, the cost of fuel will rise to offset revenues, further pushing people away from these cars.

2. Autonomous cars, should they gain favor, will likely be hybrid or fully electric from the start.

3. Battery innovation is accelerating. Caltec's latest fluoride based battery is one possible lithium replacement with 10 times the energy density and much more eco-friendly materials.

4. The technology innovation cycle is not a linear scale, but exponential. What we have accomplished in the past 32 years will be eclipsed by the advances in the next 32 years. The often misunderstood AI will play a key roll to accelerate development times, short cutting advances in material sciences and physics and subsequently reducing the engineering cycle to market. We are already seeing this in the EV market as impressive strides are being made with technology.

5. Automation, while a dark horse in the race, may push social changes that reshape transportation needs.

6. VW, as one example, has already spent a billion euros converting its Zwikau assembly plant in eastern Germany to exclusively build electric cars. VW has another 39 billion euros earmarked for further EV development. By 2030 Porsche, Audi, BMW, and VW expect to have every model of new car to either have a hybrid or full electric power plant. Internal combustion as a sole means of propulsion will/may be an option, but with the size of the investments made by the auto industry and the continued stricter government regulations demonstrate a resolve to transition from internal combustion transportation sooner rather than later.

Time will tell, but I seriously doubt that it will take three decades to halve the number of registered cars with internal combustion engines (at least in the developed nations). If the indicators are true, that number may be closer to 15 to 20 years.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee

Are you that misinformed? Google "Mission E"

Tesla will be run out of business by the others jumping in.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Once you go fake you never go back AND once a thread goes to EV discussion it never goes back either...

But let me try......

So regardless of what the auto industry is "going to do " the fact of the matter here is that we are seeing a trend now where current vehicles with internal combustion engines with actual exhausts are being cheapened and in the case of Audi being faked all together and to see the 992 trending in that direction just plain sucks....

I see absolutely NO reason why Porsche or any other manufacture would go to this fixed tips on the bumper direction other than to cut costs for themselves and just like so many other questionable moves, the fact that they try and play it off as being of benefit to the consumer is just downright insulting to our intelligence.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Car prices keep going up and cost cutting continues.

Of course it's all cost cutting, but somehow spun otherwise.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:05 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Are you that misinformed? Google "Mission E"

Tesla will be run out of business by the others jumping in.
I think STG is right. Teslas cars are all 3-5 years old(?) and everyone else is coming out with great NEW electric/hybrids......Jag, Audi, Porsche etc etc.. I think Tesla is going to suffer a bit...I hope they don't but think its inevitable.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:25 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by STG
Car prices keep going up and cost cutting continues.

Of course it's all cost cutting, but somehow spun otherwise.
^^ 100% and more concerning is our toleration of it as a consumer and even more concerning is to see some fellow forum members going as far as to defend the cost cutting moves and marketing spins!

Sometimes, I wonder if these members are financially invested in Porsche rather than being merely just consumers of Porsche products, based on the way they defend these absurd moves.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:52 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Maybe some of us are capable of weighing the pros and cons of any product and balancing those factors against other options. I admittedly don't like the rear spoiler, don't really care about the nubbin or the exhaust pipes and am undecided about the interior. When I decide to replace my 991, I'll drive the cars that I see as viable options, figure out what I can afford and make a decision. I suspect that it will be a new 911, because they have always checked the most boxes for me, but if it isn't the Porsche, then so be it. I don't understand how some here view Porsche's decisions as a personal affront.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
Maybe some of us are capable of weighing the pros and cons of any product and balancing those factors against other options. I admittedly don't like the rear spoiler, don't really care about the nubbin or the exhaust pipes and am undecided about the interior. When I decide to replace my 991, I'll drive the cars that I see as viable options, figure out what I can afford and make a decision. I suspect that it will be a new 911, because they have always checked the most boxes for me, but if it isn't the Porsche, then so be it. I don't understand how some here view Porsche's decisions as a personal affront.
+1. A lot of negative passion. Exhaust outlets on 991.2 are "tips"...whats the difference? To each his own.

Last edited by 911boy; 12-11-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 04:28 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
...more concerning is our toleration of it as a consumer and even more concerning is to see some fellow forum members going as far as to defend the cost cutting moves and marketing spins!

Sometimes, I wonder if these members are financially invested in Porsche rather than being merely just consumers of Porsche products, based on the way they defend these absurd moves.
Some of us don't care. Fake exhaust sound, however, is something I will not support...if it cannot be easily defeated, I will not buy the car.

The 'fake' exhausts are not new. This is a photo of my Lamborghini; the car is a 2013 but the model debuted a decade ago. If you look closely you can see the tips are connected to the fascia, not the pipes. Was it done to cut costs? Maybe indirectly; having the tips always centered in the fascia probably reduced engineering/cost of the exhaust to some extent...or maybe it is simply to keep the hot exhaust away from flammable plastic...or both. Either way, it certainly wasn't going to keep me from buying the car...nor would the 992's slightly more removed arrangement keep me from buying one.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:57 PM
limegreen
Pro

Originally Posted by mb1
You answered your own question. Some of us are personally affronted because we have been Porsche enthusiast and owners nearly our whole lives. We don't cross shop Porsche with other brands because we have already determined there isn't anything that compares. When they begin to misstep we do take it personally because these are cars that we have loved and remained loyal to all our lives and when they begin to insult the intelligence of their enthusiast base with the nonsense they are putting out we get pissed off and rightfully so. For others that cross shop and brand hop I can see how they would't understand but what I can't understand is the tolerance of cheapened products offering less value for a higher price .

Quick Reply: Hate the 992's fake exhaust tips? It could be worse...