992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Old 12-03-2018, 06:16 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Cost savings. That was the first thing I noticed when I sat in the car.The PDK shifter doesn't bother at all. If it works on the 918, why not on the 911. Plus, shifting with the PDK lever in manual mode seems to be more trouble than it's worth, as that's what the paddles are for. Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren are all doing the same. It wouldve been better if they did away with the PDK shifter entirely, but I guess the module was already made since the MT is in the works. I guess we have the MT guys to thank for the PDK shifter design.
Doesn't Porsche make the highest profit per unit in the auto industry? Why all the cost cutting for a car that's going to cost a small fortune to purchase?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:24 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,725 Likes on 4,759 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Doesn't Porsche make the highest profit per unit in the auto industry? Why all the cost cutting for a car that's going to cost a small fortune to purchase?
Actually, I think it's Ferrari (at least for publicly traded companies where data is available).

That said, how do you think Porsche achieves such high profits per unit? It's not by throwing in freebies.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 PM
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that "real exhausts" (by which I am guessing you mean ones where the tips are directly attached/welded to the exhaust) have a direct line to the engine/turbos..so when you get rear ended, the force can get transmitted along, and tear/damage those parts. The 992 way saves repair costs.

I imagine people can still buy aftermarket tips, and even weld/attach them to the exhaust if they desire.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:23 PM
PantsFire
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Those rear seats have even less leg room now due to the chunky front seats! Could that be new safety regs?
Old 12-03-2018, 08:24 PM
Boeing 717

Received 262 Likes on 158 Posts

Actually, I think it's Ferrari (at least for publicly traded companies where data is available).

That said, how do you think Porsche achieves such high profits per unit? It's not by throwing in freebies.
I'm not talking about freebies I'm talking about the perception that a lot of the interior has become lower quality.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:28 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
I’m not afraid to say that I’m really loving it.

do you love the gigantic wheels, too?They llook like they're about to devour that little baby in the first picture.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:55 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
do you love the gigantic wheels, too?They llook like they're about to devour that little baby in the first picture.
Gigantic? Really? The fronts are exactly the same size as those on my 991.2 and the rears are only one inch larger.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:07 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Regarding the "plasticness" of the steering wheel, it appears to me that the only difference between the 991 and 991 is the silver colored plastic spokes on the 991. Maybe some people were fooled into thinking the 991 has real aluminum?
Old 12-03-2018, 09:59 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by 911247365
My understanding is that "real exhausts" (by which I am guessing you mean ones where the tips are directly attached/welded to the exhaust) have a direct line to the engine/turbos..so when you get rear ended, the force can get transmitted along, and tear/damage those parts. The 992 way saves repair costs.

I imagine people can still buy aftermarket tips, and even weld/attach them to the exhaust if they desire.
I can't imagine any rear end damage on these cars is going to be anything but expensive irrespective if the exhaust is in the way or not.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:07 PM
iammacey
Burning Brakes

Received 376 Likes on 207 Posts

I appreciate your thoughts and that you took the time to share. Too bad it wasn't during a press day when the car was unlocked. I would be very interested if your thoughts continued to be as positive on the interior as they are the exterior. The majority of people can't tell the difference from one 911 generation to the next and I expect that to continue with the 992. What's also interesting to me is the general public has responded very favorably to the 992. Between Reddit responses and even Porsche NA posting it on LinkedIn, comments have been extremely positive.

My real concern is the interior. And that's probably more a matter of taste than anything else. I'll reserve final judgement for when I see it live, but I'm underwhelmed. There are simply too many small things that, when added, just turn me off.

One thing is certain, piano black interiors have jumped the shark for me and I need that to happen for automakers sooner rather than later. That's a trend that needs to die.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:18 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
I can't imagine any rear end damage on these cars is going to be anything but expensive irrespective if the exhaust is in the way or not.
completely agree. I think it’s just a cost reduction gimmick for manufacturers. Lexus, merc, Audi, bmw are all doing it in some way. I just hate it myself especially because the inner exhaust always looks so cheap and you’re not fooling anyone.

Old 12-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

The PDK shifter doesn't bother at all. If it works on the 918, why not on the 911.
The 918 is a hybrid. As a result, the shifter is non-functional much of the time, so it made sense to downsize it and move it out of the way.

The 911 is not a hybrid. As a result, the transmission is a key part of the driver's interaction with the car, whether it's a PDK or a a traditional manual. Your opinion regarding whether the PDK shifter should be used to change gears in manual mode is noted but not universally shared. This, despite your user name.

The 911 might or might not be a hybrid in the future. We pay Porsche for the car that is in our garage today, not for a car that they haven't even built. In general, this car makes an awful lot of compromises to accommodate features that aren't even available yet. The deprecated PDK shifter is only one of those compromises.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:58 AM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Haha. My baby boy actually liked touching the rims they had on display in the Porsche Design area.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:09 AM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Benedict14

Thanks for taking the time to write up your visit. I like the differing perspective.

The 991.2 GTS is still on the configurator. I built a 992, and it came to around $141K. I then built a GTS with the same options. It was $139K. There are obvious advances in the 992 - the interior tech etc. that are not possible in a GTS. However, there is a difference in price and the GTS is a compelling option for those that don’t dig the 992.

BTW - you mentioned grey leather. There is no grey leather option with sport tex fabric. You must have been looking at the black with the sport tex. The lighting may have affected the color.
Sorry I meant that I liked the the grey leather interior that was all leather, I’m a sucker for light colored leather interiors. A lot of the showroom models had sport tex and I wasn’t a fan.

Regarding the GTS, I think that if you spec any S model (including 991.2) to include everything on a GTS that it’s going to be more expensive (or very close). I think that’s how they designed it and it’s the draw of the GTS model. It’s for people who want the most popular performance options (and also the people who just really really love Alcantra) and you get a bit of savings as a result and a bit more bang for your buck.
Old 12-04-2018, 01:24 AM
An Miles
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA
I'm looking at my pictures and it seems that both the sports exhaust (single large exhaust tip) and the standard exhaust (double exhaust tip) both seem to have a two exhaust outlets on the inside (one larger oval and one smaller one). I'm looking very closely at the pictures and I don't notice anything that resembles a speaker, and I didn't notice that at the car show.

Also, regarding fake exhaust tips, I've always thought that it was a bit unfair to call them fake.
Thanks. FYI, this is the video I'm talking about which shows a fake inner exhaust, but can't tell why it's there (go to 4:44):
Otherwise, the fake exhaust tips on the 992 don't really bother me. However, they are fake in the sense that there is zero connection to how large the exhaust pipes actually are, and they are clearly meant to make you think they're larger than they actually are.

Last edited by An Miles; 12-05-2018 at 02:59 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View