My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View - Page 3 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 992
Reload this Page >

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Notices
992 This Forum for the turbocharged non Turbo 911

My LA Auto Show 992 Impressions - A Different View

Old 12-04-2018, 03:21 AM
  #31  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,169
Default

Originally Posted by Noah Fect View Post
The 918 is a hybrid. As a result, the shifter is non-functional much of the time, so it made sense to downsize it and move it out of the way.

The 911 is not a hybrid. As a result, the transmission is a key part of the driver's interaction with the car, whether it's a PDK or a a traditional manual. Your opinion regarding whether the PDK shifter should be used to change gears in manual mode is noted but not universally shared. This, despite your user name.

The 911 might or might not be a hybrid in the future. We pay Porsche for the car that is in our garage today, not for a car that they haven't even built. In general, this car makes an awful lot of compromises to accommodate features that aren't even available yet. The deprecated PDK shifter is only one of those compromises.
The 918 also used a PDK despite the hybrid setup.
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:32 AM
  #32  
usccharles
User
 
usccharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 310
Default

when I was a kid we used to separate cars into two categories, for-show or for-go. those exhaust tips are definitely a for-show move and i never thought i would see that on a 911 which is a for-go car first before for-show. its just looks so silly to see the actual small exhaust pipes inside the tips. does it cost so much to properly weld it out to the tips? people spend enough money for these cars I don't get why they have to pinch costs on stuff like this.
usccharles is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:50 AM
  #33  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,169
Default

Originally Posted by usccharles View Post
when I was a kid we used to separate cars into two categories, for-show or for-go. those exhaust tips are definitely a for-show move and i never thought i would see that on a 911 which is a for-go car first before for-show. its just looks so silly to see the actual small exhaust pipes inside the tips. does it cost so much to properly weld it out to the tips? people spend enough money for these cars I don't get why they have to pinch costs on stuff like this.
Porsche isn't saving itself money; it's saving the owner of the car money. Repairing connected exhaust pipes can and are pricey. And this isn't a warranty claim either.
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 03:55 AM
  #34  
Noah Fect
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Noah Fect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,461
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
The 918 also used a PDK despite the hybrid setup.
Did I say it didn't?
Noah Fect is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 04:48 AM
  #35  
usccharles
User
 
usccharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 310
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Porsche isn't saving itself money; it's saving the owner of the car money. Repairing connected exhaust pipes can and are pricey. And this isn't a warranty claim either.
If Porsche used that as their official explanation for doing this, that would be hilarious. and sad.
usccharles is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 AM
  #36  
evilfij
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
evilfij's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: On the internet
Posts: 3,660
Default

Originally Posted by usccharles View Post
If Porsche used that as their official explanation for doing this, that would be hilarious. and sad.
Actually they did. They said it put it in a lower insurance class in Europe. “Fake” tips, really surrounds, go back to at least the 1950s in car designs.
evilfij is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:23 AM
  #37  
usccharles
User
 
usccharles's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Seoul, Korea
Posts: 310
Default

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post


Actually they did.
usccharles is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 02:54 PM
  #38  
500
Super User
 
500's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,978
Default

Originally Posted by evilfij View Post


Actually they did. They said it put it in a lower insurance class in Europe. “Fake” tips, really surrounds, go back to at least the 1950s in car designs.
Despite all the hand-wringing and eye-rolling, this would actually be a good reason...
500 is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:12 PM
  #39  
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abiazis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Posts: 1,673
Default

Prices on the 911 have skyrocketed..........CPO with under 5k miles is the way to purchase these cars going forward...................Once you build your car on the configurator, you will start to say....wow.....I should look at something else to possibly drive in that price range.........I built a 4S and it was about 150K and I did not load it........
abiazis is online now  
Old 12-04-2018, 06:39 PM
  #40  
ipse dixit
Super User
 
ipse dixit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,169
Default

Originally Posted by abiazis View Post
Prices on the 911 have skyrocketed..........CPO with under 5k miles is the way to purchase these cars going forward...................Once you build your car on the configurator, you will start to say....wow.....I should look at something else to possibly drive in that price range.........I built a 4S and it was about 150K and I did not load it........
Ok, I'll play.

What would you rather have for 150K?
ipse dixit is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 07:48 PM
  #41  
dkhm3
User
 
dkhm3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Orange County
Posts: 150
Default

Originally Posted by 500 View Post
Despite all the hand-wringing and eye-rolling, this would actually be a good reason...
wow so Porsche now cares about saving you money on insurance.

i thought the suvs were supposed to sell and keep the 911s iconic? The new car is so compromised, it weighs nearly as much as my m3 sedan.
dkhm3 is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 08:26 PM
  #42  
Papa Fittig
User
 
Papa Fittig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 879
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Ok, I'll play.

What would you rather have for 150K?
if we talking Porsche, then 991 CPOd TTS, or perhaps CPOd GT3T couple of years down the road. If we talking other marquees, then couple of BMWs M2Competition cars
Papa Fittig is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
  #43  
slc4s
User
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 140
Default

Originally Posted by abiazis View Post
Prices on the 911 have skyrocketed..........CPO with under 5k miles is the way to purchase these cars going forward...................Once you build your car on the configurator, you will start to say....wow.....I should look at something else to possibly drive in that price range.........I built a 4S and it was about 150K and I did not load it........
Yep, every time I option it up its right around $150k and I feel like I'm holding back still...

The one (non-porsche) car that really tempts me in the same price range is the R8. You can get R8s that are basically brand new for the same price. I love the R8 but just don't think it could be my daily driver. This is where the 911 finds itself a bit alone. Daily driver practicality with semi-exotic cache
slc4s is offline  
Old 12-04-2018, 09:55 PM
  #44  
abiazis
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
abiazis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Berkeley Lake, Georgia
Posts: 1,673
Default

Originally Posted by ipse dixit View Post
Ok, I'll play.

What would you rather have for 150K?
For a DD, the following just off the top of my head without thinking about it much:

New AMG S 63

New AMG GT

New SL63

New G63

Bentley GT - CPO

Ferrari California - CPO
abiazis is online now  
Old 12-04-2018, 10:03 PM
  #45  
porscherex
User
 
porscherex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 424
Default

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...2367a93b4.jpeg

Does the back seat have cup holders? See the pull down door in this picture.
Also, I noticed in another photo that the lever to fold the front seat forward has been replaced with a pull strap. Any photos of this?
porscherex is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: