Priced out a 2020 Carrera S and yowwwwwie

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
No. It's not.
Man made global warming is a leftist lie to stifle capitalism and remove money from the pockets of suckers.
WE ONLY HAVE TEN MORE YEARS!!!!
Says "old man with avatar of girl the age of granddaughter posting on car forum wagging cane at sky about something something fox news pundits knowing better than scientists."
Old 12-18-2018, 11:02 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Craigy
For less money you could have a GT3
Dont know why ppl add 30k of options. I rather take a stock GT3 or GTS. i'm not even a purist.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:18 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Dont know why ppl add 30k of options. I rather take a stock GT3 or GTS. i'm not even a purist.
funny, I don’t know how people add less than that. Porsche does a great job of making the car feel a whole lot less special if you don’t option it up. Both performance and looks need options to reach full potential.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Kinda disagree with this statement there partner'. My 991.1 C2S was very lightly optioned...no leather dash, only had pdk, standard 4 way seats, no PSE or powerkit...standard lights, soundsystem. The car felt extremely special to me.

You see, it's all relative. I knew a fella who had every option in the book and he still wasn't happy. Some people, can't make em' happy no matter what you do.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:40 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by DMDSpag
Kinda disagree with this statement there partner'. My 991.1 C2S was very lightly optioned...no leather dash, only had pdk, standard 4 way seats, no PSE or powerkit...standard lights, soundsystem. The car felt extremely special to me.

You see, it's all relative. I knew a fella who had every option in the book and he still wasn't happy. Some people, can't make em' happy no matter what you do.
Here's the thing.... we agonize over options on here. Lay people can't even tell the difference between an air-cooled and a modern Porsche. A base, no option car gets you to 97% of the 911 experience. Options get you another 1.5% and a GT3 gets that additional 1.5%. People talk about PDCC. SPASM, PASM, SC, PDK, PCCB and other things as if they are professional drivers looking to shave seconds off their lap times. In reality an SUV will get to the mall just as quickly
Old 12-19-2018, 11:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

I agree. To me, however, it's all in *how* you option it. My 991.1 base is the highest optioned one I'd seen for sale ($105K MSRP for 2012.5 which is a lot for that time) and it's not merely the options that make it so enjoyable to me (wouldn't be happy without PASM, and S/C is a nice benefit for sure), but how it's optioned (PTV+ is another, which is rare for a base, even a new one). I'm a big sucker for the Porsche crests on the headrest too, so yeah, I get that an optioned Porsche really "brings out" the car in many ways, but at the same time, some options I could do without. Such as: 18 way seats.. I think I'd be fine with 4-8. Sunroof.. I do really enjoy it and it adds a lot of experience factor to the car, but I would choose without if given the choice (need all the extra headroom I can get, although 911's have brilliantly phenomenal headroom even with sunroof, especially for such a small car). Some options I couldn't care less for such as radar cruise, nannies, etc.

If I got a new 911, I would option what's important to me and leave out what's not. For example, when I ordered my 2015 Macan I didn't buy the Nav, which saved me $3K. I thought anyone who'd spend 3K on that crappy OEM irrelevant Nav was crazy. At the same time, I spent a good bit on the exterior to look very good and unique (SD Package, Spyder wheels, Air Suspension which gave it a much needed lower stance) though I didn't get one interior option aside from a package that gave me heated front and rear (waste) seats. I figured that would suffice as the car has a nice enough interior and I like the alcantara inserts. Turns out, the interior always left something to be desired for me, as it never felt "special" or gave a sense of occasion. I feel skimping on the interior was a big reason as to why I sold that beloved car (thankfully, as I finally fulfilled my 911 dream).

My 911 has the soft leather seats, and sometimes when I go to the Porsche dealer and sit in a newer 911 with the more grainy (almost seems vinyl) standard rear seat material, it leaves a lot to be desired. And I rarely look back there, but often it's the details that count.

Overall, it's all about meeting your priorities, and not exceeding them. That's how you find that perfect common ground of bringing out the best of your Porsche, and keeping it within budget.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:11 AM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K-A
I agree. To me, however, it's all in *how* you option it. My 991.1 base is the highest optioned one I'd seen for sale ($105K MSRP for 2012.5 which is a lot for that time) and it's not merely the options that make it so enjoyable to me (wouldn't be happy without PASM, and S/C is a nice benefit for sure), but how it's optioned (PTV+ is another, which is rare for a base, even a new one). I'm a big sucker for the Porsche crests on the headrest too, so yeah, I get that an optioned Porsche really "brings out" the car in many ways, but at the same time, some options I could do without. Such as: 18 way seats.. I think I'd be fine with 4-8. Sunroof.. I do really enjoy it and it adds a lot of experience factor to the car, but I would choose without if given the choice (need all the extra headroom I can get, although 911's have brilliantly phenomenal headroom even with sunroof, especially for such a small car). Some options I couldn't care less for such as radar cruise, nannies, etc.

If I got a new 911, I would option what's important to me and leave out what's not. For example, when I ordered my 2015 Macan I didn't buy the Nav, which saved me $3K. I thought anyone who'd spend 3K on that crappy OEM irrelevant Nav was crazy. At the same time, I spent a good bit on the exterior to look very good and unique (SD Package, Spyder wheels, Air Suspension which gave it a much needed lower stance) though I didn't get one interior option aside from a package that gave me heated front and rear (waste) seats. I figured that would suffice as the car has a nice enough interior and I like the alcantara inserts. Turns out, the interior always left something to be desired for me, as it never felt "special" or gave a sense of occasion. I feel skimping on the interior was a big reason as to why I sold that beloved car (thankfully, as I finally fulfilled my 911 dream).

My 911 has the soft leather seats, and sometimes when I go to the Porsche dealer and sit in a newer 911 with the more grainy (almost seems vinyl) standard rear seat material, it leaves a lot to be desired. And I rarely look back there, but often it's the details that count.

Overall, it's all about meeting your priorities, and not exceeding them. That's how you find that perfect common ground of bringing out the best of your Porsche, and keeping it within budget.
Very true, and I agree. It's all about your priorities when selecting options. In the long run it may be worth it to pay just a little more for something you really truly want if it will make that ownership difference. I'm currently grappling with this because I am in the market for a 992 most likely in about 8-9 months. I need to save 60-70K in that time frame to put down on the car, I'll probably finance the rest. I don't have the financial ability to buy a new 992 outright, so I'll be balancing this without being over my head. My target MSRP is around 125K which means I'm really going to need to select my options carefully. For a lot of us I think this is the difficulty and it's a balancing act. I want to say that because of the passion driven enthusiast nature of the 911, there's a middle class demographic that actually does buy these cars because it's our passion. The waiting game is tough....I want to go right now and put down an order, but if deliveries are in May I will not have enough time to save the money. So yeah waiting another 8-9 months is going to suck! But maybe some other options will come down the pipe, and they will work out some production niggles by that time.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:08 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Very true, and I agree. It's all about your priorities when selecting options. In the long run it may be worth it to pay just a little more for something you really truly want if it will make that ownership difference. I'm currently grappling with this because I am in the market for a 992 most likely in about 8-9 months. I need to save 60-70K in that time frame to put down on the car, I'll probably finance the rest. I don't have the financial ability to buy a new 992 outright, so I'll be balancing this without being over my head. My target MSRP is around 125K which means I'm really going to need to select my options carefully. For a lot of us I think this is the difficulty and it's a balancing act. I want to say that because of the passion driven enthusiast nature of the 911, there's a middle class demographic that actually does buy these cars because it's our passion. The waiting game is tough....I want to go right now and put down an order, but if deliveries are in May I will not have enough time to save the money. So yeah waiting another 8-9 months is going to suck! But maybe some other options will come down the pipe, and they will work out some production niggles by that time.
As crazy as it sounds, you do have a fairly tight budget for one of these cars if it has to be brand new.

Personally, I would not buy a new car if this was the budget I had to work with. I would wait 12-18 months and grab a CPO car for a good discount off sticker. You will likely get far more options than you could have afforded new and at a decent discount off MSRP. If you don't have a 911 in the garage right now, I would pick up a CPO 991 and trade it in next year when you buy your 992. You will lose far less on a CPO 991 over the next 12-18 months than you will lose on a brand new 992.

Paying MSRP for a Carrera seems crazy to me. I have yet to order a car from Porsche directly. My 991 Carrera S was CPO (88k w/ orig MSRP of 138k) and my 991 GT3 was CPO (135k w/ orig MSRP of 174k). And I could have afforded MSRP on both of those cars. But part of the ownership experience for myself is feeling like I got a good deal. However, the GT3 is probably the first car I actually wouldn't mind over paying for so I will most likely pay MSRP + ADM for my next GT3...

But if a big part of the ownership experience for you is to go through the ordering process, the waiting process, the delivery process and the break-in process, then by all means go for it. There are many who enjoy this process and it's a big part of the experience for them.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:27 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

If someone is interested in ordering a new 991.2 send me a PM as I can still refer you and get you a nice discount off sticker, or order a 992 with a discount as well.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:47 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

I built a car to what i'd want for $130k. I had to laugh at about half of the options list. who wants all this junk.
Old 12-20-2018, 01:12 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,307 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I built a car to what i'd want for $130k. I had to laugh at about half of the options list. who wants all this junk.
More people than it appears you think...money is relative and since you cannot take it with you why not spend it on things you like?
The following users liked this post:
neil.yoshi (09-12-2019)
Old 12-20-2018, 01:16 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Different strokes. My Carrera S was fairly well optioned and had standard interior but my GT3 has pretty much every option (PDLS, PCCB, SC, FAL) along with the full leather and alcantara interior. After having all of the options on the GT3, I wouldn't be able to go back to a more standard car unless it was strictly a track toy. The GT3 feels like a 100k+ car when I sit inside... My Carrera... Not so much.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:52 PM
DMDSpag
Intermediate

Originally Posted by phow
As crazy as it sounds, you do have a fairly tight budget for one of these cars if it has to be brand new.

Personally, I would not buy a new car if this was the budget I had to work with. I would wait 12-18 months and grab a CPO car for a good discount off sticker. You will likely get far more options than you could have afforded new and at a decent discount off MSRP. If you don't have a 911 in the garage right now, I would pick up a CPO 991 and trade it in next year when you buy your 992. You will lose far less on a CPO 991 over the next 12-18 months than you will lose on a brand new 992.

Paying MSRP for a Carrera seems crazy to me. I have yet to order a car from Porsche directly. My 991 Carrera S was CPO (88k w/ orig MSRP of 138k) and my 991 GT3 was CPO (135k w/ orig MSRP of 174k). And I could have afforded MSRP on both of those cars. But part of the ownership experience for myself is feeling like I got a good deal. However, the GT3 is probably the first car I actually wouldn't mind over paying for so I will most likely pay MSRP + ADM for my next GT3...

But if a big part of the ownership experience for you is to go through the ordering process, the waiting process, the delivery process and the break-in process, then by all means go for it. There are many who enjoy this process and it's a big part of the experience for them.
I have thought about going the CPO used route as well, I've done it in the past. I appreciate the advice....so over the course of the next 8-9 months of saving I may decide to get a well optioned 991 C2S or 991 GTS instead of a new 992. Decisions..
Old 12-20-2018, 11:24 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’ve been reading the different opinions on this thread. One thing about me is I only buy new cars and I generally only buy cars I spec out. The 992 has been growing on me, so I decided to run a quick C4S configuration. Yikes, it came in at $150k and I didn’t think I went all that crazy. I naturally assumed Porsche must have substantially increased the 992’s price. So I then went back and configured a 991.2 C4S and a similary equipped 992 C4S and they were only about $3k apart. Even with that reassurance, I can’t see myself dropping $150 large on a C4S.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

I said at the beginning of this thread that I didn't think the price difference was that great when all is factored in. Nothing has changed.

Much of this thread just sounds like old men complaining about the price of bread. If you think the price is too high buy a different car or find a used older model. It's not a big deal.

Quick Reply: Priced out a 2020 Carrera S and yowwwwwie