Sponsored by:

PDLS+ worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:57 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts
Default PDLS+ worth it?

I am trying to figure out if it's worth it to order the PDLS or +. In the configurator, it looks as though the PDLS + has more of a lighter grey housing compared to the black housing for the standard lights?
In the current 991.2, I think it is a must to have the PDLS in black as it makes the care extremely aggressive not to mention more current.

I want the black light housing to contrast on a white car. Could someone find a good picture of the standard light and post it here?

Thanks,

Paul
Old 12-01-2018, 11:30 AM
An Miles
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you see the option to order PDLS (not +)? In the US configurator I only see PDLS+. But PDLS isn't mentioned in the standard features... so I can't tell whether I have to get PDLS+ to get cornering lights. I know you're concerned about the color of your headlight housing, but I'm concerned about whether I can see where I'm going. LOL
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 PM
Squires9914s
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

PDLS + is fine with me .

​​​​​​
Old 12-01-2018, 12:59 PM
Zwhaler
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Any thoughts on LED Matrix? For one, I much prefer how the non-matrix just reads "Porsche" in the headlights area instead of all that extra writing. I tend to prefer the more expensive headlights, but both the PDLS+ and LED Matrix seem to have the same features on the spec sheet (cornering, auto-high beam, etc) so the difference isn't as big in the features as it was on the 991s. I could easily live with the non-matrix PDLS+. I still think the 718's PDLS+ looks the coolest, possibly along with the Panamera and the new Macan's PDLS+. The 911's are cool but extra expensive for the Matrix without much added value other than looks it seems.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:24 PM
Fitcherama
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PDSL + in my 991.2 is one of my favourite features. It works almost flawlessly with the exception of cyclists who still require manual light dipping if they’re oncoming. I can only imagine the newer technology of the 992 lights will be amazing. Surely it has to be an advancement on the current system? I would spec it irrespective of housing colour.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:39 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

I do think the PDLS is worth the money,....and yes I would try for the dark housing (what ever option it is),.....but even Xenons were/are perfectly fine for me,....light is light. I have LED lights on my GTI,....they are great, but the Xenons on my GTS are just as good at night.

Get what you think looks the best,....all the recent light tech is great no matter what level.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:41 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Fitcherama
PDSL + in my 991.2 is one of my favourite features. It works almost flawlessly with the exception of cyclists who still require manual light dipping if they’re oncoming. I can only imagine the newer technology of the 992 lights will be amazing. Surely it has to be an advancement on the current system? I would spec it irrespective of housing colour.
For U.S. buyers this may be a minor watershed moment. The congigurator does not have the warning indicating that all of the cool functions of PDLS+ won’t work as advertised. Due to DOT rules the individual LEDs in the matrix were disabled, and a warning was annotated on the configurator. I’d be curious to see what’s changed. The U.S. DOT did recently promulgate a new ruling (advisory ?) that stated an intention to allow the more advanced lighting in U.S. cars. Up until this point, the PDLS+ was a waste of money from a practical standpoint, since the system didn’t work properly.
Old 12-02-2018, 12:21 PM
zelement
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by An Miles
Where do you see the option to order PDLS (not +)? In the US configurator I only see PDLS+. But PDLS isn't mentioned in the standard features... so I can't tell whether I have to get PDLS+ to get cornering lights. I know you're concerned about the color of your headlight housing, but I'm concerned about whether I can see where I'm going. LOL
I should rephrase my original question. I meant is the PDLS + or the PDLS Matrix worth the money?

I don't see much of a difference with the PDLS + except for the grey light housing. I see the difference with the Matrix as the 4 side lights look like X instead of 4 dots.

Quick Reply: PDLS+ worth it?