Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

They got rid of the smoking package which gave the nice covered little cubby? It looks like it is replaced by the basketball hoop size cup holder which doubles as a kfc chicken bucket holder.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:03 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
lets all jump in and beat this dead horse, here's my contribution -

so you would have to first press the P button under the new plug in shaver, and then reach down, pass the giant cup holder for those who order extra large big mac meals at mcdonalds, and then press another P button to engage the e brake?
hey of all the features that everyone says was designed with China in mind, the big gulp cupholder/big mac holder is surely targeted for the USA market. No one else has take out drinks that big
Old 11-29-2018, 08:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by basic666
lets all jump in and beat this dead horse, here's my contribution -

so you would have to first press the P button under the new plug in shaver, and then reach down, pass the giant cup holder for those who order extra large big mac meals at mcdonalds, and then press another P button to engage the e brake?
Or just turn off the engine, let park and the e-brake engage automatically, grab your fast food, and attempt to extract your fat *** from the car...
Old 11-29-2018, 08:23 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
my god the whining. If you don't like the design, don't buy it. Porsche doesn't care one way or another since plenty of people (yes in china) will line up to buy it.
You hit the nail on the head. Companies don't design products for the stagnant US market anymore, where prime buyers (millennials) are too squeezed by student loans and housing costs. If you want to know why the car is so seemingly illogically designed, it is because it was designed to appeal to the asian market. None of the executives and marketing people at Porsche care what you people in the USA think about the car.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
just trim... which makes it even more frustrating that they put it there. cheap shiny black plastic is my single least favorite design element in a car interior.
Mine happens to be the awful "tablets stuck on the dash" infotainment look, but anything finished in gloss is a close second...
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
It's only removable, and the shame is that if you'd purchase the "smoker package", unlike the 991 where you had that emply spot closeable (for the coins i.e.), you have an ugly ashtray...

WTF had smoke the designer that night?!?!
Better question is, where's the lighter?

I like smoking package in 991 because it lets me have additional USB charging ports in a convenient location.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

FYI, on the Macan the parking brake won't activate when driving. In the same spot pretty much. That's the least of the issues here with the 992 design.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by natman316
hey of all the features that everyone says was designed with China in mind, the big gulp cupholder/big mac holder is surely targeted for the USA market. No one else has take out drinks that big
I'm all in on the big gulp holder. Nothing like a nice tall Diet Coke on ice for a good long drive*. Come at me!

*btw I'm not obese
Old 11-29-2018, 08:51 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
I'm all in on the big gulp holder. Nothing like a nice tall Diet Coke on ice for a good long drive*. Come at me!

*btw I'm not obese
me neither...but probably because my 991 wont hold 64oz drinks. If I get 992, I would probably become obese.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:41 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

It's almost like they had the Pano in mind and forgot to put lit up soft touch buttons on the cheap black plastic. All this time during the spy pics I thought they planned to mimic the Pano. Very odd. There isn't a option to make it aluminum or wood either. There is sure to be after market parts for that soon.

Frankly I don't care, just kind of sad because someday I might want to own one and that whole area will be a mess, it won't wear well.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:00 PM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,475 Likes on 948 Posts

The whole reason they went to the 3.0 liter engine was for the Chinese market. Now the center console nubbin clearly is for the Chinese market. ha ha Hmmm...but they hold the reveal in Los Angeles.

The door sills are tacky with the label...liked the old one better. Need to improve that.

FIX THE NUBBIN - I shift with my PDK lever all the time in my Turbo.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:03 AM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Or just turn off the engine, let park and the e-brake engage automatically, grab your fast food, and attempt to extract your fat *** from the car...
Let park? How do i "let park" in this without pressing one of the two P buttons?

Also the macan e brake in similar position as the "park" button of the 992, not where its e brake P button is

My thing is if they are gonna take out the shifter they might as well have gone all the way and taken the whole thing out, and give some space back in the center column area like mercedes. But i guess they were also constrained by the need to leave space there for the manual cars.

compromising the design to encompass two very distinct use cases, the single best way to sacrifice quality
Old 11-30-2018, 01:27 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Hi,

Please see this pic. There is absolutely no reason to go with this functionality. Where did German logic go? now, I have to press P to put the car in Park. I do not do this with my other cars; just move the stick in position. Why an extra useless step. The location of electric handbrake option is in the worst possible location; makes accidental tapping very high. Worse is sometimes, coffee gets spilled - guess where it will land? - on the button. Who is the "super genius" for this design logic?

Aren't the best Porsche customers have some pull with Porsche Management?

We all can do something about this....

I'm not fond of the 992 interior... but this thread is stupid. Take the time to understand what's going on instead of crying like a baby.

There's no extra step in putting the car in park. You just come to a stop and push the park button. Most cars with electronic shifters are like this... this isn't some 992 exclusive thing.

Secondly you won't trigger the parking brake accidentally while driving. Firstly if you rest your hand on the parking brake switch and happened to apply enough force down to push the button... you'd be disengaging it... not applying the parking brake. Secondly if you pull up on the switch (quickly) while driving... the parking brake is designed not to engage while in motion.

Stop acting like a little baby.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:40 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by chance6
The whole reason they went to the 3.0 liter engine was for the Chinese market. Now the center console nubbin clearly is for the Chinese market. ha ha Hmmm...but they hold the reveal in Los Angeles.
They hold the reveal in LA but the time of the reveal suits the Chinese market. 😉
Old 11-30-2018, 05:30 AM
red route 1
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

It seems like they could have just carried over the new Panamera shifter, which has "manual" mode and better placement of the park and brake buttons, although the brake button probably has to be elsewhere to accommodate the MT shifter. This is a crude render but it seems like it could have worked, so why remove the manual shift feature that so many like and some really need when the paddles aren't in the right place...

Quick Reply: Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this