Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
Harry Da Hamster
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I like the parking brake location much better. You will pull to engage and push to release, so no worries of accidental brake application on the highway... LOL

I do agree the cup holder is very short sighted. I'm going to miss the PDK shift stalk. There's times where my arms are crossed in a turn and i can't shift with the paddles. I can't stand how auto designers are over complicating the center console/shifter.

Also, i was also expecting a lighter vehicle. The 992 is longer and wider and worst of all, heavier.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:34 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Isn't that simply the electric parking brake??? Who ever said it had to be touched before putting in park? Am I missing something ?
Old 11-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Isn't that simply the electric parking brake??? Who ever said it had to be touched before putting in park? Am I missing something ?
Correct! It's the same button that was below the keyfob in the 991.2! I had closer to the armrest even in my A3 and never had a problem about!
Old 11-29-2018, 03:58 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I love how clean that piano black looks...
Is the piano black just a trim or is it a touch panel for buttons...
Old 11-29-2018, 04:04 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,175 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by natman316
Is the piano black just a trim or is it a touch panel for buttons...
just trim... which makes it even more frustrating that they put it there. cheap shiny black plastic is my single least favorite design element in a car interior.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:11 PM
OHWHATDA
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
my god the whining. If you don't like the design, don't buy it. Porsche doesn't care one way or another since plenty of people (yes in china) will line up to buy it.

Shifting an automatic from the shift **** is stupid anyway and push to park is a common thing. The chances of the park button failing are similar to those of any other button failing...not very high.
Rich old men having nervous break downs over car shifters. Do we need more posts about this? If you're not a fan of the 992, the 991.2 is still for sale, and those forums are that way.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:13 PM
natman316
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
just trim... which makes it even more frustrating that they put it there. cheap shiny black plastic is my single least favorite design element in a car interior.
wow that is bad but at least if its just trim I'm sure they'll sell an upgrade "Shifter surround in leather" for a couple grand which will remedy it
Old 11-29-2018, 04:16 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This car never made much sense to me except for all the enthusiasts not wanting any changes to the car for 50 years.

Also, the head designer stayed too long if you want to ask me. He went through 3 generations.

I think he ran out of ideas for this generation and basically start doing changes for the sake of changes.

Tesla, on other hand, has a far more brilliant designer.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:17 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to be pretty brilliantly bad to put a shaver in the center.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:54 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Please see this pic. There is absolutely no reason to go with this functionality. Where did German logic go? now, I have to press P to put the car in Park. I do not do this with my other cars; just move the stick in position. Why an extra useless step.
While I do not like the gear selectors from ANY manufacturer lately...it has become a task that you must consciously think about now if you drive multiple cars with different arrangements...all of these types I have driven going back a decade now will automatically engage 'park' and set the e-brake when you shut off the engine.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:16 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

This is the most hysterical thread I have read. Park brakes are triggered by pulling up. And who the **** drinks coffee in a 911. Is this the car you drive to the McDonald's for a sausage McMuffin and a cup of Joe?

The only way to accidentally trigger the parking brake is if the elderly gentleman were to be fondling his coffee cup to keep his bony hands warm. Then perchance his cuff links might catch on the park brake button and lift it enough to put it into emergency park brake mode.

Seriously if this happens to you, you're too old to be driving.

For the rest of us this is a much more convenient location for a park brake. It's easier to reach. And also BMW and Audi both put their park brake buttons in the exact same position.

I do agree it would have been much smarter to put the P button on the shifter. That is bad design as is the entire shifter/shaver concept. But it's a minor thing compared with how much is improved.
Old 11-29-2018, 05:28 PM
Ccpecot
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Hi,

Please see this pic. There is absolutely no reason to go with this functionality. Where did German logic go? now, I have to press P to put the car in Park.
Unfortunately, this is the same in the Panamera. You have to push "P" to put the car in park. However, the electric parking brake in the Panamera is not as close to the cupholder as in the 911:-)
Old 11-29-2018, 06:21 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,358 Posts

The only bad design aspect of that parking button is spilling liquids into it from the cupholder, which will eventually make it stop working or so sticky it will have to be replaced.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:40 PM
rcristobal
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

That coffee cup is a good location to store a microfiber cloth to wipe the center console and screen. Porsche option microfiber to match interior color.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 PM
basic666
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

lets all jump in and beat this dead horse, here's my contribution -

so you would have to first press the P button under the new plug in shaver, and then reach down, pass the giant cup holder for those who order extra large big mac meals at mcdonalds, and then press another P button to engage the e brake?

Quick Reply: Most Absurd Logic: Someone talk to Porsche about this