Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't hate me...I'm loving the 992 design

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 01:04 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 682 Likes on 409 Posts

Austin, after seeing four whale sharks up close in Galapagos this year, it was life changing. They are beyond incredible. Makes you feel insignificant in this world. From pic assume you're diver, and if seen one you know the feeling. If not do whatever you can to go.
I'll withhold judgement on 992 until seeing and driving it however. If it's better, I'm not sure my heart handle a car that fills me with lust like my 997.2 does every time I walk up, get in it and drive. Not yet ready to make my wife a widow and ruin my boys life fighting over my car cause I exploded in ecstasy. So regardless I'll probably stay with the old S I got.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:04 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Tom, the 911 that we grew up with, the one we had posters of in our bedroom, is long dead. It died with the 993, but saw a bit of resurgence/reincarnation with the 997. I was thinking the other day that the older 911s were “raw” and beasts to drive compared to the current models. I guess that is because the accepted definition of a sports car has changed, as has the PAG/VW philosophy. Time was that the the philosophy of PAG seemed to be, “we make a sports car, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it”. And they sold a lot fewer units. I guess PAG was happy to make “n Euros instead of n+1 Euros. But by 2010 or so they were more concerned with profit (and this may not necessarily be related to the VW era), and profit meant selling more cars, and selling more cars meant homogenizing them to appeal to those that weren’t that intersested in the no frills nature of a sports car. So now here we are. The 992 looks like an amazingly capable car, but to we retro grouches that fondly recall the gritty 911 as an analog beast that required some skill and attention to drive, it is a not so subtle reminder that that era was, and is, over. The 997 was the last gasp of a car that had personality in the form of familiar quirks - quirks that did not make it a big seller to the masses like the 991. If you didn not like the quirks/shortcomings you moved on, nothing wrong with that opinion. For me though, and perhaps many others, my 997 will be my last Porsche sports car and maybe my last sports car as well. I wish PAG well in sellling as many 992s as they can, and I hope the 992 buyers are as happy with their car as I am with my 997.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:17 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Very Panamerish...

I really like the flares and look of the blue car. Is that a 4S. Some may say bloated pig, but I bet track times/capability say otherwise. Excited to see what the new turbo and GT3 will look like.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:28 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The 992 has a curb weight of 3,382 lb (https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/9...s/911-carrera/)
compared to my C2S at 3,124 lbs, so that's 258 lbs, not 110. Maybe it's 110 more than the bloated 991, but not compared to my 997. That's like carrying an extra passenger all the time, that is until you actually add the extra passenger. They're not going to make up for that difference in power either, as my car is still 40 HP higher than this newest 992 (443 HP), so I have a 250 lb and 40 HP advantage over the new car without all the silly tech and screens. Thanks, but I'll keep what I've got. Maybe they'll bring some Mercedes folks over to the brand with the new car though.
Yeah, I think I meant to post that on the 991 forum. It was early. Nevertheless, you may feel the difference when adding 258 pounds to your car, but the weight difference may not be apparent at all when going from a 997 to a 992. In fact, the 992 may feel quicker and more agile or it may not . . . I have driven heavier cars that drove and handled like much lighter cars and visa versa. I look forward to spending time behind the wheel of one. May suck, may be the best 911 ever. Gotta at least try it out to have an informed opinion about it.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
Yeah, I think I meant to post that on the 991 forum. It was early. Nevertheless, you may feel the difference when adding 258 pounds to your car, but the weight difference may not be apparent at all when going from a 997 to a 992. In fact, the 992 may feel quicker and more agile or it may not . . . I have driven heavier cars that drove and handled like much lighter cars and visa versa. I look forward to spending time behind the wheel of one. May suck, may be the best 911 ever. Gotta at least try it out to have an informed opinion about it.
Yeah, I'll probably rent one on a business trip to LA, Vegas, or FL where Hertz will likely have them in their fleet in a few months.
Old 11-30-2018, 02:47 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

I'm with those who will withhold final judgement until I see it in person. That said, I don't have high expectations. The drift towards a close relative of the Panamera continues from the 991. For the interior, unless you knew what you were looking at, could you pick this interior out as that of a 911 as opposed to any European or Japanese SUV? And then the 21" rear wheels? I don't think I need to see that in person to know that it's out of proportion with the rest of the car. Even 20" was overdone for my likes. But I guess as they keep making the car larger and larger, everything has to be larger. I still think 20" wheels on the rears would have worked just fine here. 19's on the 997 was perfect imo but those would probably look out of place with the newer, larger cars.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:36 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Tom, the 911 that we grew up with, the one we had posters of in our bedroom, is long dead. It died with the 993, but saw a bit of resurgence/reincarnation with the 997. I was thinking the other day that the older 911s were “raw” and beasts to drive compared to the current models. I guess that is because the accepted definition of a sports car has changed, as has the PAG/VW philosophy. Time was that the the philosophy of PAG seemed to be, “we make a sports car, if you don’t like it, don’t buy it”. And they sold a lot fewer units. I guess PAG was happy to make “n Euros instead of n+1 Euros. But by 2010 or so they were more concerned with profit (and this may not necessarily be related to the VW era), and profit meant selling more cars, and selling more cars meant homogenizing them to appeal to those that weren’t that intersested in the no frills nature of a sports car. So now here we are. The 992 looks like an amazingly capable car, but to we retro grouches that fondly recall the gritty 911 as an analog beast that required some skill and attention to drive, it is a not so subtle reminder that that era was, and is, over. The 997 was the last gasp of a car that had personality in the form of familiar quirks - quirks that did not make it a big seller to the masses like the 991. If you didn not like the quirks/shortcomings you moved on, nothing wrong with that opinion. For me though, and perhaps many others, my 997 will be my last Porsche sports car and maybe my last sports car as well. I wish PAG well in sellling as many 992s as they can, and I hope the 992 buyers are as happy with their car as I am with my 997.
Tim, I agree 100% and I'm sorry they decided to go down this road although it's easy to understand......it's hard to resist the $$$$! It's so funny I have no passion for the brand anymore. I love my car and I love the older models but the newer ones leave me very cold and more than anything disappointed. I take my Porsche in for service and I get a loaner and I hate it! I hate the electronics and the messages that I'm too close to everything....I can't wait to get out of the car....can't wait! This is my last 911 as well but I'm so happy with this car and fortunate that I was lucky enough to own and drive that sports car that I loved growing up fantasizing about!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:56 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Nothing against women of course, but look no further than the 1st 992 commercial I saw and it had a woman behind the wheel. The car continues to be produced for a much wider audience than ever before. I'll die with my 997.2 GTS parked in the garage.
Old 11-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Austin, after seeing four whale sharks up close in Galapagos this year, it was life changing. They are beyond incredible. Makes you feel insignificant in this world. From pic assume you're diver, and if seen one you know the feeling. If not do whatever you can to go.
I'll withhold judgement on 992 until seeing and driving it however. If it's better, I'm not sure my heart handle a car that fills me with lust like my 997.2 does every time I walk up, get in it and drive. Not yet ready to make my wife a widow and ruin my boys life fighting over my car cause I exploded in ecstasy. So regardless I'll probably stay with the old S I got.
I'm not a diver but I'm one heck of a snorkeler!! Have never seen a whale shark before though, headed to the Cayman's for Christmas so will hopefully see some good stuff there. The 992 is still a nice looking car but I think they could have broken up it's gaping mouth with some body colored bodywork.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:10 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug H
I really like the flares and look of the blue car. Is that a 4S. Some may say bloated pig, but I bet track times/capability say otherwise. Excited to see what the new turbo and GT3 will look like.
Believe it or not, Porsche did away with the narrow body for the 992. So all cars will be receiving said flares. Also agree- they look great.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:23 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche designers had no choice in the use of 20 and 21 inch wheels. If you are going to build the car bigger, longer, wider then you are compelled to use larger diameter wheels to avoid a ridiculous look and to create the illusion that the car is smaller. Look at pictures of early 911s being driven and notice the size of the driver's head. Look at pictures of 991 cars being driven. Tiny heads!!! It seems that Porsche has adopted the Maserati design philosophy of bigger, heavier and with over designed interiors. Compare the 992 dash with the dash board of a 550 or a 904 Porsche. We have to keep in mind that the people who designed early Porsches are no longer around or not involved in present day designs. Those earlier cars are to a large part responsible for the marques reputation. I am very happy with the simple, uncluttered design of the 997 cars (especially the rear view). Maybe in the future Porsche will produce a true sports car adhering to light weight, simplicity, and functional designs.
Old 11-30-2018, 05:43 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, not doing it for me.

997 is my favorite design other than the ultimate pinnacle, which to me was the 993 turbo (aesthetics-wise).
Old 11-30-2018, 06:31 PM
jeffleept
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I dig the cup holder.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:04 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,003 Likes on 377 Posts

Relative to 997 and earlier cars, the 992 is big. But on its own, it is still a small-ish GT sports car. Optically, it looks great to me and evokes old-school 911 style: hood creases, horizontal dash, flares, squared-off hood, horizontal rear reflector/light bar. That said, I'll keep my 997.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:06 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

For some reason, the fairly bland rear and front end treatments reminds me of the blandness of newest Audi sedan styling except the A/S5. Wheel size is ok to me. I prefer not to have forced induction, much prefer higher revving non-turbo engines probably because I grew up with motorcycles.

Quick Reply: Don't hate me...I'm loving the 992 design