Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 992 thoughts

Old 12-16-2018, 02:53 AM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
911 needs a total revamp if you want to ask me. Frankly, I never liked any 911 until 991.2

All the previous generations prior 991.2 are unappealing in my eyes.

I actually dont know why ppl pay 6 figure for such small and unattractive car.

I also dont get why they bother to make back seats. It's obviously no adults can sit in those backseats.

You may call it tradition. I think it's plain dumb.

Make backseats that are actually useful and move the engine further to the middle. It will handle far better.

While you are at it, make hybrid available in 2 years and complete electric in 4 years.

You cannot fight physics and reality. Age of ICE cars is over.
What the eff...???
Old 12-16-2018, 03:15 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

if going for a newer 911, I would take a dealer demo 992 over a slightly used 991.2. Both are nice. But the newer car is the better of the two.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:37 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
cynical per cynical the 991.2. 3liter engine now on the 992.1 should be better than what the next 992.2 engine?

the 3Liter is a non motorsport engine whilst
the v8 4L from amg or the 3L v6 gts from BMW are better and motorsport engine
the 3L is good for granmas
they cant bring one worse than that

Nothing keeps Porsche from using the turbo 3 litre in a race car. The engine architecture is more than capable. Cars with far less reliable engines have won races in the past.
Old 12-16-2018, 12:55 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni

Nothing keeps Porsche from using the turbo 3 litre in a race car. The engine architecture is more than capable. Cars with far less reliable engines have won races in the past.
The 3L turbo is an excellent engine. When tuned it is every bit as exciting as my 997 turbo!
Old 12-16-2018, 04:41 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

It's just nowhere near as good as the NA 3.8 and 4.0 for motorsports.... which have excellent torque if you're in the right gear[and rev range]. The race cars also have very different transmissions and redlines - making them even more capable than what we experience in street cars.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:53 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by porscherex
I remember a remark said about the design of the 991.1 when the new design of the 991.2 was introduced. I think it came from Michael Mauer. In essence he said the 991.1 went too far in design away from the muscular look which they were "correcting" with the 991.2's more muscular design. It seems they have taken the 992 even further towards this muscular look. Essentially the designers felt the 991.1 was too "soft."
Which is funny as the 991.1 and 991.2 are identical bodies, one isn't more "muscular" than the other in any sense of the word. Unless they mistake "adding slightly fussier details up front and small air holes at the lower rear bumper sides" as "muscle", of course.

Even the 992's architecture is nearly identical to the 991's. They just gave it the C4 widebody, facelifted the front and rear extensively, possibly (seemingly) made the headlights ever so slightly more upright, made the lower crease on the door and creases around the wheel wells a bit more subtly prominent, and made the greenhouse slightly narrower whilst carrying the same shape. Otherwise it's the exact same design. The angularity does make it appear a bit more muscular and "punchy", mostly thanks to the wider rear fenders (already plenty wide on the 991 C2, IMO) and boxier front, but to me that doesn't make it look nicer by itself.
Old 12-18-2018, 06:23 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A
and made the greenhouse slightly narrower
Still don't think that's actually the case, I haven't seen any official source state that it is at least. Meanwhile the car is taller and in the interior headroom has grown and the driver sits lower? Doesn't fit together with smaller windows. Why would they change that anyway, it's good as it is.

Old 12-18-2018, 08:11 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Why would they change that anyway, it's good as it is.
Same answer that you'd get everywhere else, if the engineers were honest. "Boss is coming. Look busy."
Old 12-18-2018, 08:18 PM
K-A
Drifting

Still don't think that's actually the case, I haven't seen any official source state that it is at least. Meanwhile the car is taller and in the interior headroom has grown and the driver sits lower? Doesn't fit together with smaller windows. Why would they change that anyway, it's good as it is.

I agree the 991 greenhouse is perfection. But yeah, look at them side by side and you’ll notice. That’s part of their strategy of trying to subliminally make a technically larger and taller car look more “compact.”

Does the driver actually sit lower and has headroom grown? Didn’t read anything about that, but sounds good to me as a tall person. Didn’t pay attention to headroom differences when I sat in one, but it did feel spacious, as the 991 is already very good in that department to me. The lower the seat goes and the more headroom, the better.
Old 12-18-2018, 08:24 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
Which is funny as the 991.1 and 991.2 are identical bodies, one isn't more "muscular" than the other in any sense of the word. Unless they mistake "adding slightly fussier details up front and small air holes at the lower rear bumper sides" as "muscle", of course.

Even the 992's architecture is nearly identical to the 991's. They just gave it the C4 widebody, facelifted the front and rear extensively, possibly (seemingly) made the headlights ever so slightly more upright, made the lower crease on the door and creases around the wheel wells a bit more subtly prominent, and made the greenhouse slightly narrower whilst carrying the same shape. Otherwise it's the exact same design. The angularity does make it appear a bit more muscular and "punchy", mostly thanks to the wider rear fenders (already plenty wide on the 991 C2, IMO) and boxier front, but to me that doesn't make it look nicer by itself.
I understand what you are saying that 991.1 and .2 bodies are the same, but the lines and angles are different giving each a different look. Looking at the 991.1 the lines of the car are horizontal and flow outward. The engine cover is horizontal, the front bumper angles point outward, the front turning lights flow outward as if being blown by the wind, the rear taillights flow outward and taper off, etc.
The lines of the 991.2 are more vertical and flow inward. The engine cover is vertical, the front bumper lines point inward, the rear taillights are less tapered and more square at the ends, etc.
To me the 991.1 style is more graceful like a greyhound and the 991.2 is more stout like a boxer. Both are nice, but to me the styling is quite different.

Last edited by porscherex; 12-18-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:41 PM
K-A
Drifting

Originally Posted by porscherex
I understand what you are saying that 991.1 and .2 bodies are the same, but the lines and angles are different giving each a different look. Looking at the 991.1 the lines of the car are horizontal and flow outward. The engine cover is horizontal, the front bumper angles point outward, the front turning lights flow outward as if being blown by the wind, the rear taillights flow outward and taper off, etc.
The lines of the 991.2 are more vertical and flow inward. The engine cover is vertical, the front bumper lines point inward, the rear taillights are less tapered and more square at the ends, etc.
To me the 991.1 style is more graceful like a greyhound and the 991.2 is more stout like boxer. Both are nice, but to me the styling is quite different.
Makes sense. Of course, very subtle but yeah the characters are a bit different. I feel the horizontal elements of the 991.1 are what make it look a bit more “wide” to me, i.e in how the front air damn slats point outward, and most of all compared to .2 PSE cars with the small ish central exhausts that rob it of some width effect imo. The .1 is definitely a very clean and graceful canvass indeed, unapologetically smooth and round. They added some angularity and cuts to the front and rear of the .2 to clearly add some more of a “boxer” effect.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:56 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
cynical per cynical the 991.2. 3liter engine now on the 992.1 should be better than what the next 992.2 engine?

the 3Liter is a non motorsport engine whilst
the v8 4L from amg or the 3L v6 gts from BMW are better and motorsport engine
the 3L is good for granmas
they cant bring one worse than that
Funny you say this because the 3.0 flat six is practically identical to the 3.8 9A1. Smaller displacement, beefier internals.

The BMW has a straight 6, not a V6.. Either way, the 3.0 Porsche engine shames the bimmer engine and waxes any M2/M3/M4.

Finally, the 3.0 flat 6 in the 911 GTS will walk away from the 4.0 AMG GT time after time after time AND will reach 200 mph... Wake me up when a stock AMG GT reaches 200 mph... I'll wait.

The more you know!
Old 12-18-2018, 10:08 PM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,013 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
It's just nowhere near as good as the NA 3.8 and 4.0 for motorsports.... which have excellent torque if you're in the right gear[and rev range]. The race cars also have very different transmissions and redlines - making them even more capable than what we experience in street cars.
Won a few gongs with the 3l twin turbo this year (official events under national governing body and timed to 1000th s) - no problem dispatching the NA cars - its an excellent engine, has proved very robust - the only failure was the water pump which was duly replaced. The only quicker GT cars were fully race prepped and running r spec rubber (different class). Only 1 4l consistently quicker (different class).

Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Originally Posted by K-A

I agree the 991 greenhouse is perfection. But yeah, look at them side by side and you’ll notice. That’s part of their strategy of trying to subliminally make a technically larger and taller car look more “compact.”

Does the driver actually sit lower and has headroom grown? Didn’t read anything about that, but sounds good to me as a tall person. Didn’t pay attention to headroom differences when I sat in one, but it did feel spacious, as the 991 is already very good in that department to me. The lower the seat goes and the more headroom, the better.

The image I posted showing dimensions vs 991 is from the official 992 workshop material. I haven't been able to measure a 992 myself obviously. https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html

And "look at them side by side" doesn't count for knowing how large the greenhouse actually is. The windows don't get "technically" larger because other things like the wheels make them visually look smaller. They might not have changed the parts even. Anyway, I'm just saying so long I don't have measurements I'm not going to assume they got smaller just because they look that way. And to me it makes no sense to make them smaller as that's one of the plus points towards practicality of a 911.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 AM
K-A
Drifting

The image I posted showing dimensions vs 991 is from the official 992 workshop material. I haven't been able to measure a 992 myself obviously. https://presskit.porsche.de/workshop...downloads.html

And "look at them side by side" doesn't count for knowing how large the greenhouse actually is. The windows don't get "technically" larger because other things like the wheels make them visually look smaller. They might not have changed the parts even. Anyway, I'm just saying so long I don't have measurements I'm not going to assume they got smaller just because they look that way. And to me it makes no sense to make them smaller as that's one of the plus points towards practicality of a 911.
Trust me, they're smaller. I've sat in it, you'll notice it. It's even noticeable in pics.

I agree about practicality. I can rest my arm on the door panel of my 991, the 992's sill is too high to do that comfortably.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Porsche 992 thoughts