Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 992 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 09:06 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Hopefully Porsche can correct the small details in the 992.2 model. For me I've always leaned towards the past .2 models as being the better choice.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:59 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Remember when the 991 was introduced? Too big, too long and too heavy as compared to the 997. Seems to me that this complaining always happens when a new MY is introduced.
Well, that's only because Porsche continues to diverge from its original design.

Some of that is technology driven. Some of it is, as you correctly noted, marketing driven.

From my chair it looks like Porsche is on a more convergent trajectory with some of Lexus' sport model. You might argue that the 911 is more track oriented, but even that is slowly peeling away from the mark.

Demographics change with time, Average age of a 911 buyer is around 52 years in the US and ranges from 46 to 64. Older folks like me are moving on - car is too hard to get in and out of, back problems etc. It makes sense to change up the interior and make it more current for the younger demographic. 46 year old's have been affected far more by technology than the 64 year old.
Yes, the market shifts, but some of us are fighting old age tooth and nail. I count myself lucky at 63 to be able to feel comfortable in a 1st generation GT3 as a daily driver (I've put over 125K street miles on mine in the last 12 years). However, as capable as the new GT cars are, creature comfort has been steadily creeping into these cars (as well as faster technology).

Don't believe me, look at the sale spread of PDK v. MT sold. Look at the threads about waiting out a MY to have Apple play.
True, but most the American driving public can't drive anything but an automatic transmission. A quick search claims only 18% of the driving public can drive a car with a clutch. Porsche had to find a way to include the other 82% of the US driving market or go extinct.

Also, most US drivers see their cars as a white-goods appliance. This is much different than say Europe. Porsche is forced to follow the market in the US and now China. Porsche really doesn't care if customers are dyed-in-the-wool drivers or someone wanting bragging rights. They will adjust their cars to fit the center of the bell curve and for those of us outside that six-sigma curve we can only grumble amongst ourselves in places like this.

Unless there is a shift in driving consciousness, the trend will only continue along that path. Most people see driving as a point A to B necessity and a few of those well heeled enough to plunk down $100K+ can get the stoplight to stoplight bragging rights to back up your "investment". I am not saying there are no enthusiasts amongst us, only that Porsche wants to be a more inclusive club and can you blame them? The proof of that also lies in the SUVs and sedans they make.

Finally, Porsche has done one last thing to the marque that few people have caught onto, or at least, discuss. Modern 911s are no longer maintainable. When you have to remove a bumper to change the oil and air filters you have surly crossed a line. So much of the car is computer controlled that when something does break (even though service intervals and reliability have increased) it is a labor intensive and costly affair beyond the backyard mechanic. Even independent shops are impacted. Specialized tools and knowledge have made keeping up with the technology costly. When the warranty runs out you are faced with a dilemma—heavy maintenance cost at the dealer (or independent shop) or a new car. That, in part, is by design. Porsche Audi, and others are pushing you into the next new model and away from long-term ownership.

You are right—times are a changing.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:19 AM
APEXHNTR
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 992 Mostly Thumbs Up- First Impression

IMHO

PROS:

Weight kept down by selective use of lighter materials. Great side profile, wide body=nice curves, front bumper and hood with a retro touch. Clean design to rear spoiler that adds significant downforce. New tire sizing with greater diameter tires in the rear to improve the contact patch. Interior technology with touchscreen controls and can be hands free... very welcome.

CONS:

Rear view looks like they forced the design to match other models.... The 3rd brake light is unattractive to begin with... set vertically it is especially ugly. The rear vertical slats should not be broken up by the light.
Love the car but the rear view makes be cringe a little bit. Lastly, fake exhaust opening? Lets try to console ourselves that this was intentional to reduce damage during a rear end collision (not for merely appearance).

GRADE:

90%
Old 12-14-2018, 11:59 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
Hopefully Porsche can correct the small details in the 992.2 model. For me I've always leaned towards the past .2 models as being the better choice.
991.2 is so much better than 991.1, both look and performance.

I would never be interested in porsche if not for 991.2. previous cars just look crap.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:03 PM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Porsche needs to get away from having a thousand options, majority of them are just rip-off. $1300 for painted wheels? i'll take XS MAX any day. Majority of consumers are not going to take that crap.

It's fine if they want to remain ultra niche.

other car makers will eat into their high end market eventually.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:03 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
I hate to be so cynical but I wouldn't bet on the 992.2 being the better choice.

Same as in the past 2 generations the 992.2 will likely be the roll out of a new engine series which I'm certain will not be for the better.

The 991.2 was the first back slide in that department and this will surely be more of the same and probably even worse with further downsizing / more complication / fuel economy nonsense and surely a hybrid thrown in to keep on propelling the 911 down it's highway to hell.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:00 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,175 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
Porsche needs to get away from having a thousand options, majority of them are just rip-off. $1300 for painted wheels? i'll take XS MAX any day. Majority of consumers are not going to take that crap.

It's fine if they want to remain ultra niche.

other car makers will eat into their high end market eventually.
But that's the fun of it... what good is a Porsche if you can't option a carrera S over $200k
Old 12-15-2018, 02:21 AM
1949ford
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The rear /taillights are HIDEOUS .
Old 12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 682 Likes on 321 Posts

Love the 992. My 991’s now look dated, but that was expected. Looking forward to see how much wider the rear flanks of the Turbo S will be.
Old 12-15-2018, 11:03 AM
jason1st
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't have to buy the options. Better to have them than not.
Old 12-15-2018, 03:40 PM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1949ford
And I think they're gorgeous, just as the ones on the 991.1/.2 were.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:03 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
I hate to be so cynical but I wouldn't bet on the 992.2 being the better choice.

Same as in the past 2 generations the 992.2 will likely be the roll out of a new engine series which I'm certain will not be for the better.

The 991.2 was the first back slide in that department and this will surely be more of the same and probably even worse with further downsizing / more complication / fuel economy nonsense and surely a hybrid thrown in to keep on propelling the 911 down it's highway to hell.
cynical per cynical the 991.2. 3liter engine now on the 992.1 should be better than what the next 992.2 engine?

the 3Liter is a non motorsport engine whilst
the v8 4L from amg or the 3L v6 gts from BMW are better and motorsport engine
the 3L is good for granmas
they cant bring one worse than that

Last edited by fxz; 12-15-2018 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 08:45 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember a remark said about the design of the 991.1 when the new design of the 991.2 was introduced. I think it came from Michael Mauer. In essence he said the 991.1 went too far in design away from the muscular look which they were "correcting" with the 991.2's more muscular design. It seems they have taken the 992 even further towards this muscular look. Essentially the designers felt the 991.1 was too "soft."
Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
Love the 992. My 991’s now look dated, but that was expected. Looking forward to see how much wider the rear flanks of the Turbo S will be.
Talk about dated, my car by itself looks great to me, but when I drive to the dealership for service my 997.2 looks so small and very dated. I try not to go there too often, as I look at the new models I'm tempted.....
Old 12-16-2018, 01:40 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,772 Likes on 4,772 Posts

Originally Posted by 1949ford
You win the originality award for 2018.

Quick Reply: Porsche 992 thoughts