Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 992 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 03:30 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 239 Posts

Remember when the 991 was introduced? Too big, too long and too heavy as compared to the 997. Seems to me that this complaining always happens when a new MY is introduced.Demographics change with time, Average age of a 911 buyer is around 52 years in the US and ranges from 46 to 64. Older folks like me are moving on - car is too hard to get in and out of, back problems etc. It makes sense to change up the interior and make it more current for the younger demographic. 46 year old's have been affected far more by technology than the 64 year old. Don't believe me, look at the sale spread of PDK v. MT sold. Look at the threads about waiting out a MY to have Apple play.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:59 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Remember when the 991 was introduced? Too big, too long and too heavy as compared to the 997. Seems to me that this complaining always happens when a new MY is introduced.Demographics change with time, Average age of a 911 buyer is around 52 years in the US and ranges from 46 to 64. Older folks like me are moving on - car is too hard to get in and out of, back problems etc. It makes sense to change up the interior and make it more current for the younger demographic. 46 year old's have been affected far more by technology than the 64 year old. Don't believe me, look at the sale spread of PDK v. MT sold. Look at the threads about waiting out a MY to have Apple play.
I agree with some of what you said, but I do not understand what you meant by saying "46 year old's have been affected far more by technology than the 64 year old." What does it mean "affected"? Technology is technology. How savvy or capable a person is with new technology depends on this person's background, past experience and desire and ability to stay up to speed with all the advances. Actually if you know older computer and software technology or, say, photo camera's technology (manual everything back then) you would appreciate all the new capabilities more, esp. if you have enough knowledge to understand and appreciate the difficulties that needed to be resolved on the way to where we are.

Having said all this, I never considered Porsche being a technology leader (nor that I was upset with this) in anything, but what is relevant to making great sports cars i.e engine, suspension, transmission, steering, brakes, etc. I honestly do not care about infotainment and IMO Porsche is way behind many other brands with that regard anyway. So driver-oriented or rather driving-oriented interior should not be traded for "technology".
Old 12-05-2018, 12:05 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

I think the main point is they are going after younger customer (who is more likely to love tech stuff).....they are also going broader market with the 992....interior is definitely in that direction...and tron rear end design...
Old 12-05-2018, 12:14 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by abiazis
I think the main point is they are going after younger customer (who is more likely to love tech stuff).....they are also going broader market with the 992....interior is definitely in that direction...and tron rear end design...
Yes, but don't younger folks still want a sports car? And what is that tech staff we talking? - digital gauges? bigger monitor size? park button? wet assist? We have waymo and others actually running self driving cars. That is new technology (like it or not), not different interior layouts and larger monitors..
Sorry, jut venting out
Old 12-05-2018, 12:17 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
911 needs a total revamp if you want to ask me. Frankly, I never liked any 911 until 991.2

All the previous generations prior 991.2 are unappealing in my eyes.

I actually dont know why ppl pay 6 figure for such small and unattractive car.

I also dont get why they bother to make back seats. It's obviously no adults can sit in those backseats.

You may call it tradition. I think it's plain dumb.

Make backseats that are actually useful and move the engine further to the middle. It will handle far better.

While you are at it, make hybrid available in 2 years and complete electric in 4 years.

You cannot fight physics and reality. Age of ICE cars is over.
what if they put the engine where the back seats are and the back seats where the engine used to be????
Old 12-05-2018, 12:20 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,731 Likes on 4,763 Posts

911 needs a total revamp if you want to ask me. Frankly, I never liked any 911 until 991.2

I also dont get why they bother to make back seats. It's obviously no adults can sit in those backseats.

Make backseats that are actually useful and move the engine further to the middle. It will handle far better.

While you are at it, make hybrid available in 2 years and complete electric in 4 years.

Congratulations. You just described the Panamera.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 PM
AirBusPilot
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Congratulations. You just described the Panamera.
LOL!
Old 12-05-2018, 12:30 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Actually the 991.1 was lighter than the 997....
Old 12-06-2018, 01:12 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Actually the 991.1 was lighter than the 997....
really important point.

Also Porsche could have made the 992.1 a lot lighter if they waited to include the 8 speed box w hybrid space, and hybrid motor attachment/crash reenforcement for the 992.2....when they actually need those things.....

992.1 is a fail, IMO.
Old 12-11-2018, 02:00 PM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Let me see if I can follow your logic, and I'll try not to wrestle with physics and reality in the process:
You said the back seats are too small and nonfunctional, so make them bigger with more space; yet you want to move the engine forward closer to the back seats.
I guess the driver sit sin the frunk?
Have I got that one right?
You wrestle with reality much?
Then you think the 911 should be all electric in 4 years...okay...yup.
Why don't you go buy a Prius and do us all a favor.
Old 12-11-2018, 03:43 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

You probably need to be a member of the Toyota or Tesla discussion forums as you are apparently not a Porsche enthusiast......it is really that simple.........don't fight it...............
Old 12-11-2018, 05:03 PM
Elliott991TS
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

the 992 turbo rear spoiler may well look quite different from the Carrera model, lets hope it's an improvement
Old 12-13-2018, 05:17 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by italiafan
Let me see if I can follow your logic, and I'll try not to wrestle with physics and reality in the process:
You said the back seats are too small and nonfunctional, so make them bigger with more space; yet you want to move the engine forward closer to the back seats.
I guess the driver sit sin the frunk?
Have I got that one right?
You wrestle with reality much?
Then you think the 911 should be all electric in 4 years...okay...yup.
Why don't you go buy a Prius and do us all a favor.
LOL

The 911 function is to be able to drive the car to the track, hustle it around in mulitple sessions for the day. Pack your junk back into it, drive it home than drive it to work the next day. While you are on track, you are thrilled and can push the car as hard as you can and it won't break.
Try that with a Tesla, after 5min the car will go into conservation mode.

Back to the topic.

After Porsche's near death in the 90's the pattern I'm seeing is this:
8 year life cycle
New chassis after 16 years.
Dozens of variations in between.

Other manufactures are on a 6 or 7 year life cycle.

That extended life cycle and chassis longevity will keep the 911 profitable and offer the right amount of supply for the demand out there.

About electronics, what happens to the car if you rip out the electronics and install track safety items, will the car still run without having to do all sorts hacks?

Last edited by 3Series; 12-13-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-13-2018, 08:03 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

992 looks clunky at best. I think the side mirrors would be perfect on a mini van and don't get me started on that 3rd brake light. The interior would fit nicely in a Buick. Heck, I like the faux CF in my 4Runner better than the piano black scratch collectors in the 992. In the last three years I have had a 996, 991 and 964 in my garage. Only the 964 remains.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:59 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

I am a bit different than most Porsche loyalists, but since the original poster asked...

I think it has gone much too far off track.

I am convinced it is a technological beast that will lay shame to my antiquated GT3—as far as the numbers go.\

But—I think that styling has become too much a factor for Porsche. It's like the change from the 993 to the 996; all done to blow in a fresh breeze to the marque.

The exterior is sort of okay when taken as a whole. Some tidbits are nice, others are distracting.

The interior design is a disaster. How did that ever see the light of day? One only hopes there is a center console delete.

The shifter is a bad joke. The touch controls are a haptic fail. The elevated island that surrounds the shifter itself is a trap for dirt, crumbs, and small debris.

But it doesn't end there. The worst of it is the disconnect from the spartan sports car of the past. The 911 has simply grown too portly with nanny controls and flashy technology meant to sing the me-too verse. Too much eye candy.

I think Porsche has been slowly excising the sport in the car. Others are guilty of this too, but the market demands change, even when it doesn't serve them.

I cracked a wheel on my lowly 996 GT3 and for two weeks it sat crippled in the garage. When I did finally take it out I was so pleased to be behind the wheel again with something that had such a direct connection with driving. The joy of it was overwhelming.

I am not convinced the 992 will give me what I get out of a 14-year old car, even if it is faster. Easier to drive and advanced creature comforts does not translate to more enjoyment—for me. Your mileage may vary.

Quick Reply: Porsche 992 thoughts