Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche 992 thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 04:00 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 259 Posts

I love the shape...not that much of a departure from my 2014 turbo S....I don't get the interior....looks disjointed...to me the best interior is still the 997.2. I don't like the rear and front bumpers....especially the front I think rectangle grill is ugly. The rear is Panamera. Either way after a few years I am sure I will get used to all of it.

Last edited by lowpue; 11-29-2018 at 11:28 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Raven 666
I quite like the look of the 992 inside and out my only dislike is the high mount stop light under the rear window ............hopefully and aftermarket part like a new rear grill becomes available to delete and cover this up ...

There are some things I like about the 992. Though this shot really shows how circular the butt end looks and these are all wide body cars. I like the more bulging hips of the 991. Just more sexy for me. Always liked the narrow body to wide body option with my preference being the wide body.
Front end is a nice update. I do like the lines and the new door handles are a nice upgrade.
As far as the inside, no need to debate the instrument cluster change as we all knew that was coming along with the amputated gear selector.
I'm really on the fence here as I don't want the car any bigger than my current TTS. I'm sure it will drive beautifully but just not sold on it. Big and heavy is not where I wanted the car to go.
Old 11-29-2018, 07:56 AM
hcvone
Rennlist Member

Received 752 Likes on 473 Posts

I'm getting one as soon as the turbo s shows up, gave two dealerships refundable deposits to get in line, neither dealership had anyone else show interest so far, being Porsche I know the price will be fair, YEA RIGHT
Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Though this shot really shows how circular the butt end looks and these are all wide body cars. I like the more bulging hips of the 991. Just more sexy for me. Always liked the narrow body to wide body option with my preference being the wide body. I'm really on the fence here as I don't want the car any bigger than my current TTS. Big and heavy is not where I wanted the car to go.
Sorry to reiterate, but the 991.2/992 is THE SAME CHASSIS. The base cars now have the C4 hips, but it's not an all new platform at all. Size and weight are generally similar to the 991.2.

It won't be bigger than your current TTS, because it's just a new bumper and dash job, and they will crank the ECU to give you 610HP this time, but with the same 553 torque so it will not really be much quicker. You can buy it with ease and confidence, especially if you like your current TTS.

Last edited by Randyc151; 11-29-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:08 AM
IMI A
Banned

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyc151
Make no mistake, I do like the look of this car very much, just like I like the look of all of the 991's other versions before it. It's a nice refresh, but not a new car. I think that's the point I'm trying to make.

(and yeah, that particular view of the rear brake light is hideous. Who thought that was a good idea?)
Sorry to reiterate, but the 991.2/992 is THE SAME CHASSIS. The base cars now have the C4 hips, but it's not an all new platform at all. Size and weight are generally identical to the 991.2.

It won't be bigger than your current TTS, because it's just a new bumper and dash job, and they will crank the ECU to give you 610HP this time, but with the same 553 torque so it will not really be much quicker. You can buy it with ease and confidence, especially if you like your current TTS.
I'm reasonably sure 992 is an all new platform. A derivative of this new? platform will be used for R8 and Huracan according to UK journo. Would love to know if this is correct or not?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

More of a refresh but it will attract new well heeled consumers as long term loyalists age and disappear......Porsche is appealing to a wider audience now with their base cars and wealthy enthusiasts are now pointed to the specialty cars, ie GT cars....

Interior is good for new people to the Porsche Brand....previous owners will be split in acceptance....cars can't get much faster or handle much better, so I will skip this generation as my 993 gives me raw and my TTS gives me versatility as a DD and track weapon...
Old 11-29-2018, 10:06 AM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IMI A
I'm reasonably sure 992 is an all new platform. A derivative of this new? platform will be used for R8 and Huracan according to UK journo. Would love to know if this is correct or not?
Nope, it's on the same 991 platform. The media has gotten it wrong over the past couple of years, and I think that's why I'm so disappointed. The next gen after this likely gets the all-new MSB-H/M Platform by VW group you are thinking of that will be shared with the 718/R8/Huracan and allow mid-engine or rear engine and hybrid and EV versions of these cars, as well as possible future models. This platform will not be ready until 2025-2026, according to VW group press releases. A lot of the media seems to report that the car is all new.

So the car we have here is the 991.3. R&T magazine (11/18): "The basic underlying structure and 96.5-inch wheelbase of the 991 has been carried over here". Motor Trend (12/18): "Porsche's 992 series, due to arrive in the US in 2019, is essentially a makeover of the existing car. An all-new 991 doesn't appear until the next-gen model, when it will shift to the Porsche-developed MSB-H/M architecture"

Last edited by Randyc151; 11-29-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 10:44 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 546 Posts

Well if its the 991.3 then that makes me happy. The 911 has always been about evolution vs revolution. The current 991 is pretty darn amazing. I am not someone who has to rush out and get the latest version unless its a huge step up. Its too expensive to do that especially with $200K cars that depreciate and in CA where trade in / taxes arent favorable

But if i were in the market, i'd be excited to get a 992 (and truth be told, I'd take it over my 991.1). But i dont feel the desire to change and am happy with what i have (no FOMO here). I like the looks apart from 1-2 things. The ECU / HP ugrades keep them competitive and these cars are blisteringly quick as it is. Probably some interior upgardes and better electronics etc. The best GT car at $200K'sh just got a little bit better.

Porsche (despite the ADM stuff) is on their game and i just dont see anything else that is on the same level at this price range. Now if you go up a $100K or more there are several options to compete with a GT2 or GT3RS.
Old 11-29-2018, 11:33 AM
Steve Cole
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm out. I'll keep my 991.2 and be happier for it.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:32 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree on the cup holder, but the interior is not all new, just the dash and console. The seats remain unchanged. The exterior has a new front bumper, creases in the hood, new door handles, and a new (ugly) rear bumper/spoiler, but the rest of the car is identical in appearance. They bump up the ECU tune by 25hp, which is nice, but it's the identical engine still. The changes from 993 to 996 and 997 to 991 were completely new cars. This isn't that. So yeah, it's a 991.3.

(I'd say that this 991.3 is even less updated from the 991.2 than the 997.1 was from the 996...which was fairly minimal, but it totally transformed that car)
I disagree, but it's an interesting perspective. My opinion, but there's enough changed (i.e., it's a large collection of iterative changes) on the vehicle to justify the 991 to 992 jump. IMO, the underlying chassis doesn't need to be new in order to justify the jump from 991 to 992. Although, has that been confirmed that the underlying chassis did not change at all?

Either way, I'm looking forward to the 992 TTS or 991.3 TTS whichever we all decide is the generally accepted fit in the community

Last edited by guab; 11-29-2018 at 02:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 PM
Randyc151
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
I disagree, but it's an interesting perspective. My opinion, but there's enough changed (i.e., it's a large collection of iterative changes) on the vehicle to justify the 991 to 992 jump. IMO, the underlying chassis doesn't need to be new in order to justify the jump from 991 to 992. Although, has that been confirmed that the underlying chassis did not change at all?

Either way, I'm looking forward to the 992 TTS or 991.3 TTS whichever we all decide is the generally accepted fit in the community
Yep, it's confirmed to be on the same 991 chassis. I quoted R&T and MotorTrend above, and I've seen it several other reputable places, too. The next gen will get the new Porsche designed MSB-H/M Platform by VW group, which will support the 911/718/R8/Huracan. I'm actually probably on board for the 991.4 in a couple of years, but the media told us all it would be all-new, and it isn't!!
Old 11-29-2018, 04:27 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lowpue
I love the shape...not that much of a departure from my 2014 turbo S....I don't get the interior....looks disjointed...to me the best interior is still the 997.2. I don't like the rear and front bumpers....especially the front I think rectangle grill is ugly. The rear is Panamera. Either way after a few years I am sure I will get used to all of it.
Why not #00FF00? Closer to your color
Old 11-29-2018, 05:54 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 421 Posts

The only part I like is the side profile, although I do like the flared front fenders. Interior seems like they had multiple designers that didn't consult with each other.
Old 11-29-2018, 06:00 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

My quick thoughts:

1. Overall body styling - to me it's basically the same as a wide body 991, not a bad thing.

2. I kind of like the new rear end tail lights and LED strip, however I am NOT a fan of the fake exhaust tip cutouts that appear in the show (boo to Porsche for giving into this car styling trend

3. The new interior - definitely looks cool for sure and I actually like the new usable cup holder (vs the over engineered ones from all the previous gen cars) the new user interface while it looks modern, I'm hot/cold on. Our family has a 2019 Cayenne with the new Porsche UI and it is definitely not as intuitive and user friendly as the prior gen cars, some features are cool some are frustrating, I imagine on the 911 the performance oriented functions will still be accessible with physical buttons but everything else buried in on screen menus.

4. Staggered wheel setup is cool and welcome.

5. The new seats in the show cars look much better designed, I hope to sit in a set when I go to the LAAS this weekend, but a complaint I always had about standard 911 seats = OK side bolsters, completely inadequate shoulder bolsters. You basically have to jump straight to the expensive LWB seats for adequate hard driving driver support.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:47 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Sorry to reiterate, but the 991.2/992 is THE SAME CHASSIS. The base cars now have the C4 hips, but it's not an all new platform at all. Size and weight are generally similar to the 991.2.

I get that. It is clear. I'm liking my current car too much at this time to even consider a move. But one never knows.

Quick Reply: Porsche 992 thoughts