Sponsored by:

Shaver Knob

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 02:17 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
I've said this a few times. Maybe this is a way to shove the 'manual feel' crowd into actual manuals.
Yes. I'm one of those people. The last couple of days I forced myself not to use the lever to manually shift and either use auto or shift with paddles. It's just not the same. Paddles make sense when you're going fast, are very focused on the road, and need both hands on the wheel. For anything else, they're just awkward. And auto simply doesn't keep the car in the rev range I want.

Right now if I had to choose between the nubbin or a MT, I'd go back to a MT.

Other than that lost functionality, I'm fine with 992.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Cyberbug
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Old 12-04-2018, 11:11 AM
mickkr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just after couple of days when I've been reading a few threads about 992 and watching some 992 photos, my Facebook started to adveritse for me ....a braun shavers! No kiddin'!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:12 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 511 Posts

Wonder if you can order in leather or carbon fiber..........
Old 12-04-2018, 11:24 PM
usccharles
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 82 Posts

so will the 992 be known as the Braun Shaver generation, like the fried egg to the 996 generation?
Old 12-04-2018, 11:30 PM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
The whole interior revamp fails for me. As an old 997 owner I really appreciated the simplicity of that design, and while it’s dated now esp. around the technology many things just worked. Like the window switches, at least on a RHD car you could raise and lower the drivers window with one flick of your little finger. Hand never needed to leave the wheel. The gear lever was lovely leather that was a very tactile and comfortable place to rest your hand when waiting for traffic. It also got better with use. The console was simple and fitted the character of a 911, as did the dash generally.

All that has gone now. What we have now seems to mimic what BMW and Mercedes also have in their cars. Two digital slabs with a few design elements thrown in below. Sad.
To me 997's interior design and esp. location of the shifter on MT cars was and still is the best of them all 911s.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:47 PM
Skullbussa
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

LOL who shifts a PDK with the SHIFT LEVER?

Guys...come on. If you want to use a stick, buy a manual. If you want a modern sports car with a DCT like every-other-sports car on the market, you use the paddles or just leave it in Auto-shift.

It's unbelievable that Porsche doesn't put paddles on every PDK car. Hopefully that nonsense stops with the 992.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:57 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skullbussa

Guys...come on. If you want to use a stick, buy a manual. If you want a modern sports car with a DCT like every-other-sports car on the market, you use the paddles or just leave it in Auto-shift.

It's unbelievable that Porsche doesn't put paddles on every PDK car. Hopefully that nonsense stops with the 992.
Porsche has their head up their ***. In 2017 on a Macan GTS the lever has to be pushed forward to shift up. Hell, even BMW got that right in the early 2000s with their DSG.
So needless to say if I WANTED to shift the Macan with a lever I wouldn't do it because it's back-asswards. When I choose manual mode, I use the paddles.
I cannot believe people bitching about a nubbin instead of a lever, paddles are better, and I totally agree, if they want to shift with a lever, get a manual.

992 is so f*cking butt ugly, rear with fake exhaust tips, 3rd brake light, rear spoiler, 'just like everyone else' light bar, stupid FUGLY interior, no more real gauges except the tach, ugly gaping maw of a mouth on the front end..... if you GAVE me one I'd sell it and buy a pre-owned 991. I will never again buy a new Porsche, they've lost any future business from me. The Macan is a great 'vehicle', it's not a sportscar and I barf when they refer to anything but a 718 or Carrera as a sportscar. My 993 is the last REAL Porsche and IMHO the prettiest 911 design ever (991.2 in my book is the 2nd best looking but I drove one and wasn't impressed, I was REALLY unimpressed with a 718 Cayman S with PDK. Talk about my foot being separated from the engine, it was NOT linear at all. I'm glad the company can still build great racing machines. They've totally lost the plot IMHO on how to design a DRIVER'S sportscar that is not fugly.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:13 PM
porscherex
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I and many others prefer shifting with the stick shift. I don't like the paddles, especially at DE events when sometimes the paddles are not in a position where they can be used. Happened several times to me where I needed to shift and my hands were in a position where I could not use the paddles. I either use Sport Plus or the stick.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:05 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Personally, I'd rather have the 992 Braun shaver than the 991 PDK *****.
Old 12-06-2018, 01:47 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Personally, I'd rather have the 992 Braun shaver than the 991 PDK *****.
+1
Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 AM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually, the time my hand was not on the PDK lever, it was on my gf’s leg. The new gear stick meandri only one thing: more time on my gf’s leg! 🤓
Old 12-06-2018, 04:34 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
Usually, the time my hand was not on the PDK lever, it was on my gf’s leg. The new gear stick meandri only one thing: more time on my gf’s leg! 🤓
Old 12-06-2018, 04:48 AM
gary.lee
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cautery
good for you but I still prefer a ***** to hold.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:30 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Me, and anyone who regularly drives spiritedly. Nevermind the more visceral feel, but at sharper corners, the center shifter comes in major handy as your hands lose track of, and have to twist over themselves to reach/find the paddles.

"But everyone else is doing it and follow the herd" isn't exactly a selling point, especially for a car that's built its legacy on defiantly not conforming (rear engine, anyone?).

Originally Posted by gary.lee
good for you but I still prefer a ***** to hold.
True. A ***** is far more ergonomic than a teeny pecker razor.

Quick Reply: Shaver Knob