Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Live Feed- Keep your 991

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 07:27 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

That shift **** feels like the future of a hybrid world for Porsche. The fact it reminds me of a Prius is certainly not by accident.

The MT and 3.0TT have just been placed on the endangered list.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:12 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

My observations...
1. There's a wet mode. Now it's okay to drive in the rain and not get a salvage title:P
2. I saw on one of the Porsche videos(PorscheTV) that the wheelbase was unchanged, and another that said it has.
3. It's the biggest increase in size from one 911 to another ever. (997 to 991 was only 1.5 inches and less weight)
4. The 8 speed isn't new and the the additional gear is between 6 & 7 on the previous. This transmission comes from the penny and is stubbier to make room for a hybrid. At first I was annoyed by this but really long gearing is better for boost. Also, no mention of a manual...
5. Love the indent in the hood like the old days.
6. Engine is essentially the same with fine tuned injection and tuning for 450hp. Is a great engine.
7. No wide body/narrow body. One size.
8. When I see the interior I want to compare it to my BMW 650, an Audi A8 or Merc and not my 991.
9. The 991.1 is officially the new 997! ha.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:18 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Gonzalo38
Not convinced with the new 992 design. I'm sure it brings several improvements to the driving experience but looks are still important for me. The hood looks strange and still not sure about the back of the truck. For those that use this car for tracking purposes, won't be happy with a longer chasis and additional weight.

Interior is the biggest disappointment. They killed the car with that tiny shifting ****..... what happens now with those that want the PDK but still use it to do manual changes ? I drive a lot in manual mode with a preference of using the shifting know rather than the paddles.

The car now looks too much alike to the new Cayenne (I own one) and sacrifices some things in order to include a bigger screen. Don't get me wrong.... I like a big screen but I actually don't use it when I'm driving since I'm too busy enjoying the drive and how the car feels, so I don't really care about it. This is a case for me when more is not a good thing.

Worst part for me is the new location of the airvents. They did the same thing they did in the Cayenne which is lowering their position. I just hate it since now in the Cayenne they are too low and in order for the system to work as I like it, now I have to permanently operate the AC almost at full blast. For those buying in the future the Cabrio version of the 992 I think is going to be a pain since during the hot days, you have to run the current AC system at full blast. With the new design I don't know how you are going to be able to direct those vents straight to your face.

Good first look at the car by Carfection.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLLN7f-a8xk
Porsche says there are rain sensors in the rear wheel arches that detect wetness. This video says that there are acoustic sensors in the front. There seem to be so many discrepancies in 24 hours for this new car.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:29 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

1,565 kg? (3,450 lbs) - wow, that is considerably heavier than even the previous 991.2 4S and GTS variants.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:30 AM
matmanx1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm not crazy about that interior. It reminds me in some ways of the LC500 and that's not necessarily a good thing on a Porsche. It looks perhaps classier and more upscale but also somehow more stodgy and less sporty.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:32 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

The front may grow on me but still not feeling the rear...
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 AM
DOG ON
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Just a few musings... I don't really have many opinions on the 992's new design elements that hit the middle ground. Most either strike me as a big win or a vast disappointment with very little space in between.

LIKE:
The overall stance and wideness, especially in the front fenders.
The new door handles. Much sleeker and less obtrusive than previous models.
The tail lights. I feel like these will still take some getting used to, but design-wise I think they're an appropriate evolution

DISLIKE:
The third brake light. Still not sure what's going on there... at all.
The gear selector. Looks weak... like it's going to get made fun of and bullied by other gear selectors at Cars & Coffee.
The front Intake section. Just not a fan of the unbroken space from intake to intake on the lower side of the front bumper.
The changes to the interior door cards. Bland.
No more hidden cupholder bar. Granted, this was not the most functional set of cupholders, but it was a unique and beautiful work of engineering that worked beautifully with the lines of the interior design. Sad to see it go.

HOLDING OUT:
The interior toggle switches. These will come down to feel. Are they going to feel like high-quality aviation-level switches, or are they going to feel like cheap plastic Mustang switches?

Put it all together, and I think I fall into the majority of us here who are now just a little happier with our current 991s. It would seem that the grass isn't always greener.

Old 11-28-2018, 09:46 AM
garfunkle
Banned

My biggest gripe about the styling the is confused lettering on the back "911 Carerra S". So many fonts happening in addition to "Porsche".
Old 11-28-2018, 10:20 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 340 Posts

Handles are a great design change. To have them lay flat into the door is nice, more cosmetically clean and aerodynamic.
Rear PORSCHE logo will be a dream for PPF installers, no longer need to reinstall Logo or get a template to reapply correctly.
No one mentioned the new LED headlights, new name at least..

I am all for technological advances but, at some point you lose the purist sports car feel and look. I think the interior gauges have gone too far.
If Porsche offered analog gauges as an option, I think it would have been a great trade off for the people who prefer all Digital to the enthusiasts who like old style gauges.
Clearly they understand because they left the Tach gauge alone with old school needle. This was a manufacturing decision and I am not a fan of it personally.

Having to dig deep into the menus to change handling characteristics is a step backwards. Less buttons is cleaner but, if you are driving and need to get into a different mode its a PIA.

Any thoughts on why they staggered the wheels to 20" front and 21" rear for all models?
Old 11-28-2018, 10:25 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Glad I bought my 991.2 GTS
Old 11-28-2018, 10:33 AM
norbtx
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

This happens every time a new 911 comes out. lol.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:38 AM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 599 Likes on 352 Posts

the new carra-pana-tesla model s.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by norbtx
I remember getting my 991.2 when all the 991.1 owners were calling it a vacuum cleaner on wheels. It's been a great car, and I am sure the 992 will be loved by its owners, too.
Old 11-28-2018, 10:51 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by norbtx
Not sure about that. I found the 991 interior much nicer than the 997. Just looking at the new interior pictures I don't feel the 992 moved in the right direction.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:17 AM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I am OK with the look, since is more of a personal preference.

my biggest problem is the car size is growing again and is heavier........

Quick Reply: 992 Live Feed- Keep your 991