Sponsored by:

Here is the new 992 Porsche 911

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 01:41 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Uh oh. You could be stuck with one of those 500 hp normally aspirated 991s that most the forum will kill for!
Haha I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining or not super thankful for my GT3 My garage goals have changed a bit when it comes to the 911. I always want to have a modern GT car but when it comes to the Carrera, I would rather have something older. So I'm currently searching for either a late 80's G50 car or possibly a 964. Just haven't found the right example yet.

Personally I feel the best 911 experience is a modern GT car and a classic Carrera.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:12 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Meh,....looks OK, nothing really breath taking. I like the 993 hood, the back now certainly looks like most any other Porsche car. Get a quick glance at one a few cars ahead of you at a stoplight and you know it's a Porsche,....just not what model. Could be a Cayman, Pani, etc. Once you get a bit closer you will know it's a 911 just by deductive reasoning,.....Pani look - 2 doors = 911! All that black plastic on the nose and no angled/diagonal painted lines (aka last GTS's) makes it look like it has a set of black braces on it,....just one big rectangle of black plastic,....sigh. Driving lights now just an add-on to the black plastic area, nothing really stands out except the deep sea of black. Maybe paint or Sort Design options will take care of it. I really thought they would do something to liven it up a bit, guess not...

Actually with the tape off,....the back looks just a bit better to me, just really not a fan of the now fake exhaust cutouts and clam when it's up. Still too much black plastic,....I'm guessing paint options will be heavily used both front and back on the 992, shame it has come to that.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Haha I hope it doesn't sound like I'm complaining or not super thankful for my GT3 My garage goals have changed a bit when it comes to the 911. I always want to have a modern GT car but when it comes to the Carrera, I would rather have something older. So I'm currently searching for either a late 80's G50 car or possibly a 964. Just haven't found the right example yet.

Personally I feel the best 911 experience is a modern GT car and a classic Carrera.

Fully agree! I had a "78 SC and kept it for 30 years (after correcting some design deficiencies (mechanical chain tensioners, exploding rubber clutch center and popping off air boxes). In time I grew jealous over the continual improvements in just about everything, but until the 991 didn't really want another 911. There is nothing else like an air cooled 911 and every Porsche nut needs to have one sometime. If I found a 2018 GT3 I'd probably keep it too 30 years again!
Old 11-25-2018, 05:38 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
my first reaction is they really did a very nice job on the rear end. a notable change for sure, but i really like it... quite a statement - broad, modern, clean

to me the front is evolutionary and a bit boring - maybe with better light it will show differently - the squared off air inlets under the headlights are clunky to my eye. having said this i get that they are trying to go with a bold horizontal line as a key theme in both the front and rear fascias, and that parallelism is appreciated - unlike some cars that seem like one person did the front, another the profile, a third the rear
This is spot on for me as well. Liking the rear end and maybe even the square hood, but not the front spoiler/grill Panamera style. Interior is a different story, only time will tell.

In either case excited to see the car in person at the LA Auto Show next weekend. Will try to put up some pics as I'm sure other RLers in the area will as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 515 Posts

Hope it looks better in person both inside and rear end....thanks for posting photos in advance..
Old 11-25-2018, 07:00 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,176 Likes on 593 Posts

Probably about time for an interior photo leak...
Old 11-25-2018, 07:19 PM
chewy08753
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by phow

I’d have to agree ! Gt car and air cooled is the way to go
Old 11-25-2018, 10:24 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Meh,....looks OK, nothing really breath taking. I like the 993 hood, the back now certainly looks like most any other Porsche car. Get a quick glance at one a few cars ahead of you at a stoplight and you know it's a Porsche,....just not what model. Could be a Cayman, Pani, etc. Once you get a bit closer you will know it's a 911 just by deductive reasoning,.....Pani look - 2 doors = 911! All that black plastic on the nose and no angled/diagonal painted lines (aka last GTS's) makes it look like it has a set of black braces on it,....just one big rectangle of black plastic,....sigh. Driving lights now just an add-on to the black plastic area, nothing really stands out except the deep sea of black. Maybe paint or Sort Design options will take care of it. I really thought they would do something to liven it up a bit, guess not...

Actually with the tape off,....the back looks just a bit better to me, just really not a fan of the now fake exhaust cutouts and clam when it's up. Still too much black plastic,....I'm guessing paint options will be heavily used both front and back on the 992, shame it has come to that.
I like the car overall, not any more than a 991 as I think unlike the 991, it has several design flaws. But overall I guess its attempt at increased "boldness" is supposed to make you less nit picky with design features and more inclined to just focus on the character of the car.

Fully agree on the front bland and "80's boxy" bumper. Here's my take on it, from the other thread:

These hideous new extremely squared/boxy front bumpers that we saw launched on the 718's are a terribly uncharacteristic design from THE quintessential timeless brand. And I know EXACTLY why they're designing (forcing) them onto their otherwise rounded, smooth, organic and timeless architectures. It all has to do with EV's. I've seen concepts and design pitches of future EV Porsches, and these bumpers are a clear segway into what will be very nondescript, squared EV bumpers. Right now, they're trying to "disguise" their characteristically large air dams into being black, rectangular voids in the middle of their bumpers. EV models will simply fill those voids with solid bumper. They're literally sacrificing frontal design on their new ICE cars via having EV product mapping in clear mind when designing them.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:55 AM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 11-26-2018, 11:27 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Fully agree! I had a "78 SC and kept it for 30 years (after correcting some design deficiencies (mechanical chain tensioners, exploding rubber clutch center and popping off air boxes). In time I grew jealous over the continual improvements in just about everything, but until the 991 didn't really want another 911. There is nothing else like an air cooled 911 and every Porsche nut needs to have one sometime. If I found a 2018 GT3 I'd probably keep it too 30 years again!
Originally Posted by chewy08753

I’d have to agree ! Gt car and air cooled is the way to go

This is awesome to hear! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels this way :P
Old 11-26-2018, 11:37 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Looks like they kept the weird paragraph on rear.....That surprises me. This could be a photoshopped pic.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:30 PM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

For me, the crucial question still is which colours will be available for the first production cars!?

I would prefer to have GT silver or Vulkano grey or any other kind of silver/grey tone.

the colour from the leaked launch picture which was posted here looks nice as well, not sure if this is a new silver (grey) or GT silver anyhow, just shown in a different light via photoshop... ;-)

the achatgrey or dolomite silver just won´t make it for me...

but let´s see!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:05 PM
pietrostone
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hymo1200
For me, the crucial question still is which colours will be available for the first production cars!?

I would prefer to have GT silver or Vulkano grey or any other kind of silver/grey tone.

the colour from the leaked launch picture which was posted here looks nice as well, not sure if this is a new silver (grey) or GT silver anyhow, just shown in a different light via photoshop... ;-)

the achatgrey or dolomite silver just won´t make it for me...

but let´s see!
agata grey and Vulcano silver will be available for sure
Old 11-26-2018, 05:40 PM
Cautery
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pietrostone

You meant “volcano grey”, correct?

I’m crossing my finger for having GT Silver at launch and not only the Dolomite, that I saw on the new Macan and it’s closer to Rhodium than GT!
Old 11-26-2018, 05:48 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by pietrostone
Can you confirm any color that you've seen in the configurator so far?

Agate Grey

Quarzit Grey

Volcano Grey

Quick Reply: Here is the new 992 Porsche 911