Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   Question for California 911 Owners (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1111940-question-for-california-911-owners.html)

tgcrun 11-14-2018 07:23 PM

Question for California 911 Owners

My wife and I are moving to Pasadena in early 2020. We each currently drive a C4S and are on the list for a 992 Cab and Targa. Here in Pennsylvania having all wheel drive has come in handy in both the snow and rain. In fact, my wife's car is a daily driver, and we run a winter tire/wheel set in the bad weather. Of course the Targa will be all wheel drive, but should I just go with a C2S Cab? Thoughts, anyone?

Alan Smithee 11-14-2018 07:28 PM

You won't need AWD on a 911 in So Cal. Although you will see a lot around here...most fashion buyers consider a higher number on the back to be superior, without really knowing what it means.

dkhm3 11-14-2018 07:38 PM

I live in orange county ca- there is no need for awd here - if it is your only car, then maybe, for the 10 days a year we have rain you could scoot away from the morons that don't know how to drive in the rain.

Gobbi 11-14-2018 10:08 PM

You get wet mode enabled through sound meter in 992, so..you ll be covered for those 10 days ;)

Porsche911GTS'16 11-14-2018 10:21 PM

In the 991, you got the light bar and wider hips in the back with the 4. With the 992, all cars will have wider hips and the light bar. So much for those distinctions. No need at all from a weather standpoint for a 911 with 4 wheel drive in So Cal.

tgcrun 11-14-2018 10:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to spending my retirement years in the sunshine and driving my 911 every day. Calling for up to a foot of snow here tomorrow.

DY369 11-14-2018 10:53 PM

No reason for awd or a cab in Southern California

Archimedes 11-14-2018 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by tgcrun (Post 15431723)
Thanks for the feedback. Looking forward to spending my retirement years in the sunshine and driving my 911 every day. Calling for up to a foot of snow here tomorrow.

Hope you’re coming with eyes wide open about taxes and fees out here.

br911 11-15-2018 12:17 AM

Unless you need to drive the hwy 110 in all those 5/10 days per year when it rains heavily, which doesn't seem to be the case, you won't need 4wd. When it rains, the 110 becomes very dangerous, mostly because of idiots who can't drive in rain, so 4wd doesn't hurt, but if you can avoid it, no need. Not sure about 992.

OHWHATDA 11-15-2018 02:13 AM

Good choice on Pasadena. I live in Altadena and I love the area. Good mix of beautiful homes with character, and of course plenty of good restaurants and shopping on Lake, Paseo and Old Town. And not nearly as much traffic as other areas of LA on the west side and parking is easy to find.

And of course to echo everyone else, no need for AWD since it doesn’t rain much unless it’s an El Niño year (but those are pretty rare). Can get a cab if you want to drop the top since it’s commonly high 70’s even in the winter so plenty of opportunities. And don’t worry about CA taxes, it’s all worth the price of admission.

rkwfxd 11-15-2018 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tgcrun (Post 15431723)

Please take this with a grain of salt but.... You're an IDIOT! NO ONE retires TOO California. We all flee the state as soon as we can! LOL.

OK not all, I will probably stay here after I retire in June.

Now, without the sarcasm, WELCOME. This is a great place to live especially if you don't have to commute in the traffic. Porsche haven. I had a 996C4. Not needed. I had a 991C2 which I drove several times in some pretty good rain and never had any issues. I would not even consider a C4 here in So Cal.

tgcrun 11-15-2018 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by OHWHATDA (Post 15432017)
Good choice on Pasadena. I live in Altadena and I love the area. Good mix of beautiful homes with character, and of course plenty of good restaurants and shopping on Lake, Paseo and Old Town. And not nearly as much traffic as other areas of LA on the west side and parking is easy to find.

And of course to echo everyone else, no need for AWD since it doesn’t rain much unless it’s an El Niño year (but those are pretty rare). Can get a cab if you want to drop the top since it’s commonly high 70’s even in the winter so plenty of opportunities. And don’t worry about CA taxes, it’s all worth the price of admission.

We bought a house in Upper Hasting Ranch and are renting it for a couple of years. Those are all of the reasons we chose Pasadena, plus we wanted to be fairly close to LA to take advantage of restaurants, museums, sporting events, etc.

Originally Posted by rkwfxd (Post 15432707)
Please take this with a grain of salt but.... You're an IDIOT! NO ONE retires TOO California. We all flee the state as soon as we can! LOL.

OK not all, I will probably stay here after I retire in June.

Now, without the sarcasm, WELCOME. This is a great place to live especially if you don't have to commute in the traffic. Porsche haven. I had a 996C4. Not needed. I had a 991C2 which I drove several times in some pretty good rain and never had any issues. I would not even consider a C4 here in So Cal.

It's a great state, and we've enjoyed our visits over the past 10 years or so. We visited and consider most of the warm states, but California is the only one that checks all of our boxes.

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 15431825)

Hope you’re coming with eyes wide open about taxes and fees out here.

Yep. We factored that into our decision, and the extra taxes won't change our lifestyle. Our kids will just inherit a bit less. As I tell my older real estate clients, "You're now spending your kids' money."

dkhm3 11-15-2018 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by tgcrun (Post 15433253)
We bought a house in Upper Hasting Ranch and are renting it for a couple of years. Those are all of the reasons we chose Pasadena, plus we wanted to be fairly close to LA to take advantage of restaurants, museums, sporting events, etc.

It's a great state, and we've enjoyed our visits over the past 10 years or so. We visited and consider most of the warm states, but California is the only one that checks all of our boxes.

Yep. We factored that into our decision, and the extra taxes won't change our lifestyle. Our kids will just inherit a bit less. As I tell my older real estate clients, "You're now spending your kids' money."

congrats, I know the area very well. I have a good friend that lives right there. Nice small community, be prepared to put up some christmas decor every year :)

Maybe when I pick up my 991.2 c2s next year I'll see if you are around and how you like the area!

tgcrun 11-15-2018 06:56 PM

Our house actually came with some Christmas decorations. I'm hoping the tenant puts them up this Christmas. I'll try to remember to send you a message as our moving plans firm up. 8 inches of snow here today, so no 911 driving. :(

phow 11-15-2018 07:08 PM

Moved to Venice the past May from Chicago. Wife and I love it. Will probably buy in Pacific Palisades soon. I have seen 1 day of rain since I have been here. I would never option AWD unless it was standard or required for some other option(s) I wanted. My brother lives out by Pasadena. I personally love west LA since I have close proximity to PCH and all of the canyons but I'm always jealous that my brother has Angeles Crest Hwy in his backyard... Just did a run on up to Mt Wilson last Sunday in the GT3 and it was incredible. There are 911 meet-ups every weekend. I'll be at the Museum of Flying for PCA's cars and coffee in Santa Monica on Sunday.

If you are into cars and driving roads, this is the place to be as long as you have the means to properly enjoy it here and not stress about the added cost of living :) Housing is about 3x times what I paid in Chicago and general daily cost of living is probably 50% higher. It is what it is and so worth it. I know others will disagree.