Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 11:36 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by DKST
F*ck yeah Noah Fect, all these kids like August Achleitner, Vice President for the 911/718 series as well as Matthias Hofstetter (Director Drive Architecture 911/718), Andreas Pröbstle (Project Manager Vehicle Architecture 911/718), Alex Ernst (Team Leader Vehicle Testing) and last but not least that inexperienced infant Walter Röhrl should all be fired. They don't know anything about how a real Porsche should look like! Flag and fire! Noah, please take over!

They're all on the payroll and will design anything the executive board who makes all the calls tells them to.

Walter is now a paid defacto salesman.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:32 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
They're all on the payroll and will design anything the executive board who makes all the calls tells them to.

Walter is now a paid defacto salesman.
Yes STG, Walter Röhrl is a representative of the Porsche brand BUT he's also crucially involved in the development of the cars. Röhrl signed a contract in 1993, with him as a representative and development driver on the condition that (former) CEO Dr. Wendelin Wiedeking "always gets to know his unvarnished opinion about cars in development". Since then he has been involved in the development and coordination of many milestones - from the 959 to the Carrera GT to the 918 Hybrid as well as all 911 and GT versions. Walter Röhrl always says what he thinks: "I have internalized a very important aspect at Porsche: A sports car doesn't have to have top driving performance for professionals at the limits. Ideally, it should also be easy to control for normal drivers."

But look, we're not getting anywhere here. Everybody is entitled to believe whatever he/she wants to believe.
Old 11-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
He doesn't even like turbo engines from a few tid bits I've read.

He's a paid spokesman and who's job it is to promote anything they sell.

Where is the info on the fake engine noise from? Haven't read that.
When one of those first drive previews came out, here in some threads there was a quote along the lines of "Porsche has been very good at making the car sound like it's aspirated, with sound coming out of the speakers" or something like that. Unless I dreamed of it in which case just ignore me
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
He doesn't even like turbo engines from a few tid bits I've read.

He's a paid spokesman and who's job it is to promote anything they sell.

Where is the info on the fake engine noise from? Haven't read that.
i haven’t seen that about the 992 either. But the 718 DOES have it and that’s a very sad fact. Personally, I think it sounds much worse because of it.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:28 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
When one of those first drive previews came out, here in some threads there was a quote along the lines of "Porsche has been very good at making the car sound like it's aspirated, with sound coming out of the speakers" or something like that. Unless I dreamed of it in which case just ignore me
You didn't just dream it. Many falsehoods are posted on the internet and reposted by the clueless and by trolls. It makes them appear like newbies and fakes, and gets them mostly ignored eventually.
Old 11-05-2018, 09:55 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Walter Rohrl is someone at Porsche who is highly respected and worth keeping an eye on , like most people his age, he's fed up with all the buls#it and now openly speaks his mind. Re recently bashed the Taycan (and deservedly so) and very honestly expressed his opinion about it's MANY shortcomings.

https://www.motoring.com.au/walter-r...c-cars-112254/
Old 11-05-2018, 10:12 AM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Walter Rohrl is someone at Porsche who is highly respected and worth keeping an eye on , like most people his age, he's fed up with all the buls#it and now openly speaks his mind. Re recently bashed the Taycan (and deservedly so) and very honestly expressed his opinion about it's MANY shortcomings.

https://www.motoring.com.au/walter-r...c-cars-112254/
I‘m with you on the Taycan! Plus the Cayenne Coupé and maybe even the Porsche Macan Convertible. :-) :-) :-)
Old 11-05-2018, 10:59 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You didn't just dream it. Many falsehoods are posted on the internet and reposted by the clueless and by trolls. It makes them appear like newbies and fakes, and gets them mostly ignored eventually.
Ok, it seems like I got a bit carried away from this guy's post. I'll stop saying it unless it's confirmed.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/9734...l#post15356798
Old 11-05-2018, 11:06 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I like the 992 so far except the interior. Unfortunately my 2016 991.1 GTS Cab recently got totaled. I was planning to get the next gen GTS 992 but that is more than two years away. Life is too short to wait that long. Been driving Porsches since 1980. So I decided to order the 991.2 Turbo in Guards Red Coupe. I really enjoy the PDK and have had 3 cars with the PDK. I never drove any of those cars in just auto. I always selected Sport mode and manually shifted with the paddles and the gear lever.
The 992 nubbin is a fuc___ing joke. When it comes time to replace my newly ordered 991.2 Turbo if the nubbin still exist I will order a 7M if available. If in a few years if that is not an option for a manual and the PDK has that nubbin, I will choose a different car. I have three other sports cars to drive anyway so Porsche needs to wake up. My local Porsche Club members will not select the PDK with the Nubbin. We took a vote this morning. All going with manual 7T on their next car if the nubbin exist. It is easy to desire the stick to shift at times when in a turn or holding your cell phone or cup of coffee; the paddles are not always where you need them; hence the need to shift with the stick. If you don't agree then we don't want to hear from you about that. So just shut the F up. Sick and tired of hearing pansy people say the nubbin is okay. It is not okay for the 43 of us that voted today at our cars and coffee meeting. This one change is a big negative for the 992. We don't want Ferrari style shifting. Bring back a shift control besides the the paddles please.
I am sure that the 992 will be an improvement in driving performance but there is so much more to enjoying a car besides that.
Cheers,
!00% Correct,...it's another sickening cost cutting attempt of Porsche pure and simple, no need at all for it. If the 992 bows without it, I'll take everything back.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

There is a clear opportunity for the aftermarket to offer nubbin extenders for non-manual transmission enthusiasts who need manual satisfaction. Or maybe Porsche Exclusive will come up with a "Porsche Hand *something*" ; oh never mind.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:40 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 374 Likes on 195 Posts

Dumb question but whats nubbin? Lol
Old 11-05-2018, 07:32 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Dumb question but whats nubbin? Lol
It's the nickname for the widely-panned PDK shifter design in the 992. Check out the interior thread to see the pics. It's a topic of much hate and is well deserved if that proves to be the final design...
Old 11-05-2018, 07:41 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by atombomb33
It's the nickname for the widely-panned PDK shifter design in the 992. Check out the interior thread to see the pics. It's a topic of much hate and is well deserved if that proves to be the final design...
Not hated by those of us who like to use our left foot when we change gears. Long live the nubbin!
Old 11-05-2018, 07:52 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Since this thread is supposed to be for those of us who actually like the 992, I'll try to get us back on topic. There are some pics on the spy shots thread of a black car that look pretty nice. I like the fact that the front bumper seams are not half way up the fender like my 991. I also like the placement of the rear license plate. I really want to see how much of the front and rear are body colored vs black plastic.
Old 11-05-2018, 08:08 PM
arek
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
I like the 992 so far except the interior. Unfortunately my 2016 991.1 GTS Cab recently got totaled. I was planning to get the next gen GTS 992 but that is more than two years away. Life is too short to wait that long. Been driving Porsches since 1980. So I decided to order the 991.2 Turbo in Guards Red Coupe. I really enjoy the PDK and have had 3 cars with the PDK. I never drove any of those cars in just auto. I always selected Sport mode and manually shifted with the paddles and the gear lever.
The 992 nubbin is a fuc___ing joke. When it comes time to replace my newly ordered 991.2 Turbo if the nubbin still exist I will order a 7M if available. If in a few years if that is not an option for a manual and the PDK has that nubbin, I will choose a different car. I have three other sports cars to drive anyway so Porsche needs to wake up. My local Porsche Club members will not select the PDK with the Nubbin. We took a vote this morning. All going with manual 7T on their next car if the nubbin exist. It is easy to desire the stick to shift at times when in a turn or holding your cell phone or cup of coffee; the paddles are not always where you need them; hence the need to shift with the stick. If you don't agree then we don't want to hear from you about that. So just shut the F up. Sick and tired of hearing pansy people say the nubbin is okay. It is not okay for the 43 of us that voted today at our cars and coffee meeting. This one change is a big negative for the 992. We don't want Ferrari style shifting. Bring back a shift control besides the the paddles please.
I am sure that the 992 will be an improvement in driving performance but there is so much more to enjoying a car besides that.
Cheers,
Strong words but I have to agree. If I were at that meeting, you would get another vote from me. I'm driving my 991.2 TTS in manual PDK and shift using the lever 90% of the time. Unless there's a way to retain that in 992 (first or third party), I'll be getting a manual or a different car.

Other than that, 992 looks ok.

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread