Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2018, 07:57 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

Change can be a bitch or in California as they used to say just plain bitchin
Old 11-04-2018, 10:34 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by atombomb33
No real synopsis to be made. That thread is the same handful of people, posting the same complaints over and over again like a broken record. There's plenty of reasons why people are excited about the 992...they're just posted in other threads. The lack of participation here is more so that people don't feel a need to baited into playing limegreen's game. This thread is a farce and he knows it. This thread was only started because he was bitter (and probably still is) about getting called out multiple times in the Spy Photos thread. He and the other 992 bashers have zero intention of listening to anyone about what they like about the 992. There's literally no chance of swaying their opinion. So what's the point of posting anything to appease him and the other bashers? They're all entitled to their opinion and I'm happy they love their 991s. But it must be an interesting existence to live life by spending all of their time bashing a car they'll never buy, just so they can validate their ownership of a 991 (which is soon to be proven inferior to the 992 from a performance standpoint).

This same thing happens with every new generation when it's about to be released. Other forum members have linked to those threads and they read exactly the same as this forum currently does. Lots of hate primarily from owners of the current generation model - all before the vehicle is officially released. Then a few months after release and people begin receiving their cars, the whole attitude in the forum shifts from "the sky is falling Porsche has lost their way" narrative to a "damn this is a damn good 911, probably the best one yet" vibe. This 992 forum will be no different.
Ypu make some good points about being bated. But not everyone who dislikes the 992 does so because it’s new. Nor is it “just the way of the forums”. There certainly is some of that, but also new cars are changing and there are people who don’t want all the doo-dads. I see this refrain on every car forum I visit yet the E90 owners were right about the F30. It’s not just railing against the new.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:51 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by coolhandshin
what is there not to like?

Among other things: fake exhaust tips. Fake engine noise. Monster jam wheels. One inch longer body. Suburban mom's venti almond soy latte cupholder.

Even the new gear shifter will look cool enough once it becomes the new trend.
**** no it won't!

new is always good in cars.
Right. Electric cars are good. Self driving cars are going to be the best of all.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:25 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Crester
Kinda pathetic that you are dismissing an entire model of car because of the shape of the shifter... lol
I see the 992 shifter as another product of the thinking that brought us the electric handbrake. Some people who have been around for a few years may recall me saying that the e-brake was a bellwether, a sign of things to come, and those chickens have come home to roost. The whole car is now an e-brake.

Basically, Porsche is hiring kids out of college who have never held a driver's license. They've never driven a Porsche or anything else. They take a bus to work, or maybe a subway. Make no mistake, they're not idiots... they're good kids, and they'll eventually do good work. But they are not what we currently think of as great sports-car designers. The reason the older generation of designers was great was not because they were old, but because they drove sports cars themselves, often in anger. Their formative conditions can't be recaptured or recreated at this point.

The nubbin and the oversized cupholder are basically consequences of the SUV-ification of the company. The most talented and most experienced people in any successful car company are assigned to the platforms that bring in the revenue, and that is not the sports cars. There are still passionate engineers in the sports car area, but I suspect they are working on the powertrains.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:40 PM
DKST
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Basically, Porsche is hiring kids out of college who have never held a driver's license. They've never driven a Porsche or anything else. They take a bus to work, or maybe a subway. Make no mistake, they're not idiots... they're good kids, and they'll eventually do good work. But they are not what we currently think of as great sports-car designers. The reason the older generation of designers was great was not because they were old, but because they drove sports cars themselves, often in anger. Their formative conditions can't be recaptured or recreated at this point.
F*ck yeah Noah Fect, all these kids like August Achleitner, Vice President for the 911/718 series as well as Matthias Hofstetter (Director Drive Architecture 911/718), Andreas Pröbstle (Project Manager Vehicle Architecture 911/718), Alex Ernst (Team Leader Vehicle Testing) and last but not least that inexperienced infant Walter Röhrl should all be fired. They don't know anything about how a real Porsche should look like! Flag and fire! Noah, please take over!

Last edited by DKST; 11-04-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by DKST
F*ck yeah Noah Fect, all these kids like August Achleitner, Vice President for the 911/718 series as well as Matthias Hofstetter (Director Drive Architecture 911/718), Andreas Pröbstle (Project Manager Vehicle Architecture 911/718), Alex Ernst (Team Leader Vehicle Testing) and last but not least that inexperienced infant Walter Röhrl should all be fired. They don't know anything about how a real Porsche should look like! Flag and fire! Noah, please take over!

what does Walter roehrl have to do with the design of the 992?
Old 11-04-2018, 06:58 PM
DKST
Racer

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
what does Walter roehrl have to do with the design of the 992?
For 25 years Walter Röhrl has been testing all Porsche vehicles before they go into production. If he told Porsche that the new gear shifter would lead to the inevitable death of the 911 model series, you can be sure Porsche would listen.

P.S. Test driving vehicles starts two years before 0-series production!
Old 11-04-2018, 07:05 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

We need to bribe Walter...
Old 11-04-2018, 07:13 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Haptic buttons, screens, nubbin... it appeared in their halo model years ago, shouldn’t be too surprised those things ended up in the 911 at some point.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:35 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Given how well PDK selects gears and bangs shifts, by itself, or with the outstanding response with hands on the wheel and paddles at any driving mode, I care not at all about the deletion of the current fake gear shift lever. Actual customers that are truly concerned can get the manual tranny if shifting by hand and clutch appeals to them more than maximum performance. Those are the ones of interest Porsche marketers, rather than self-declared net-forum "purists".

Last edited by chuckbdc; 11-04-2018 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:43 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Yeah, I always used the paddles as well. I’m not too bothered by it either.

I’m excited about the new 992, and look forward to seeing it in person and sitting in the finished product. I like the overall styling but understand if others don’t. I’m not gonna tell someone they’re wrong because they don’t like the way something looks and I do.
Old 11-04-2018, 08:09 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Originally Posted by DKST
For 25 years Walter Röhrl has been testing all Porsche vehicles before they go into production. If he told Porsche that the new gear shifter would lead to the inevitable death of the 911 model series, you can be sure Porsche would listen.

P.S. Test driving vehicles starts two years before 0-series production!
Do you think Walter Roehrl likes fake engine noise pumped through the stereo?
Old 11-04-2018, 08:19 PM
DKST
Racer

Short answer: yes!
Old 11-04-2018, 10:16 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Heh, I think Walter Roehrl's use case is a little bit different from ours. Building the best possible road car is one hell of a lot harder than building the best possible rally car or race car.

The last time I read anything about Walter R., he was pissing and moaning about the 718's exhaust. Sounds like the company reminded him what side his bread is buttered on.

Also, my understanding is that the 991.2 does not pump engine noise in through the stereo. The BMW forum is that way ---->
Old 11-04-2018, 11:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

He doesn't even like turbo engines from a few tid bits I've read.

He's a paid spokesman and who's job it is to promote anything they sell.

Where is the info on the fake engine noise from? Haven't read that.

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread