Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 10:06 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

Then let's get this thread back on track. Any other thoughts on why the 992 looks to be another great 911? From an appearance standpoint, I like that the rear license plate is being moved to a lower position. From a driving standpoint, I'm hoping that the manual gearbox 1/2 shift is smoother. Mine's a bit notchy.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:48 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

I like the front flares a lot- they fit well with the shape of the wide rear "hips". But I suspect that the wider track that they support will be what is important. The 991 is vastly better at "turn in" placement than any 911 before it and the 992 should be even better. With some more torque to use on exit life will be better yet.

A friend with a Z06, a Jag F-type R, and a 525 Maranello (gated manual) always wondered what I thought was special about the 991. After all, it is down 2 to 6 cyls and 80 to 140 hp (on paper) and by comparison is muted even with PSE. He just picked up a 991.1 C2S, SPASM and PDK. His reaction- "OH NOW I understand."

Porsche has split the difference between sports car performance/feel and GT comfort/feel ever since they replaced the Speester's side curtains and race buckets with roll up windows and wider more comfortable seats in the Convertible D. That "compromise" was sustained in every 911. To me, it is what makes the 911. The 992 is not a change, just the next iteration. Not that I would not love to have Speedster- too.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 AM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

I know it’ll be faster, drive better, more fuel economy, etc, etc but once I knew the rumored changes to the 992 included

1. touch everything;
2. Horrible new corporate shared nose from cayenne and caymen;

I knew I had to get a 991.2 T.

later I found out I made the right call when I learned 992 was heavier and came in a wide body only...
Old 11-10-2018, 12:29 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by G99x.y
I know it’ll be faster, drive better, more fuel economy, etc, etc but once I knew the rumored changes to the 992 included

1. touch everything;

later I found out I made the right call when I learned 992 was heavier and came in a wide body only...

The T is a great ride. I drove one at the track and found it as fast as my 991C2S and full of "justrightness". Enjoy it.
I always liked the 991 front despite the derision of the 997 crowd over the driving lights when it was launched. To me the 992 front looks so little different that I don't mind it. The 993 /new corporate lightbar seems a bigger change. I prefer the simpler 991 despite too much script. I haven't see any weight numbers- how much heavier do you think it is?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:30 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
My guess, because he is very, very passionate about the marque and the 911 model and its 55 years of history, and he's disappointed big time that Porsche is becoming more and more bourgeois and mainstream and gen-pop oriented and giving up on some key traits which have defined its identity over the decades, and he's pissed off as **** that very few people seem to feel the same, and instead seem only to care about "progress" for progress' sake and sterile performance statistics (such as " 'ring times") which until the day before yesterday weren't even widely reported.
Being "very passionate" is very different than how he approaches these threads - he's antagonistic to everyone who likes the 992 and goes through every 992 thread with no other intent than to deride and troll people. It's not constructive. It's not adding to the discussion in any meaningful way. If he's "pissed off as ***" about the direction Porsche is going, perhaps he should take that up with Porsche vs. other forum members?
Old 11-10-2018, 12:35 PM
atombomb33
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The overall exterior design is more aggressive than the 991. Which makes the exterior much more appealing to me. Which adds to the 992 having a bit more personality. This is a sports car we're talking about and it should be aggressive and should have personality. This 992 has that look IMHO.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:19 PM
G99x.y
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

probably not too much ... but every gram counts

Multiple articles claim the weight has gone up.

I love the front of the 991.2 so simple and functional...

The 992/cayene/719 cayman nose full line or ridge ... is for looks alone - probably to compliment the rear fulll length light...
IMO it makes the nose looks more angluar and I like the more blunt nose.

I only pray the new Taycan doesnt "catch" the new nose since ive got my eye on the Taycan sport turismo.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:07 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

The main reason for ordering a 991.2 is that I don't want to own the first runs of any new model vehicle. Let someone else deal with the teething issues.

There are some 992 changes that are not personally desired, the instrument display, cloth headliner and what not, that's just me. But not having seen the car leaves room for later interpretation.

I'm satisfied with my choice (when it arrives). I'm sure there will be many satisfied 992 owners to come.
Old 11-10-2018, 02:50 PM
bigs
Dean of Rennlist, "I'm Listening"

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 962 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
We are now just weeks before the official unveiling of the 992 and from the spy photos / renderings and articles posted I think we all have a really good idea of what to expect.

It's been made abundantly clear from these other threads that some of us are NOT happy with this 992 redesign.

I'll even say that I personally think the 992 is the laziest model redesign in 911 history and I can't think of a single aspect of this redesign that brings ANY real improvement to the outgoing model. Quite the opposite in fact.

The incremental and likely imperceptible increases in performance in the 992 are not going to balance out the exterior and interior changes that serve no purpose other than to further meld this former special, standalone sports car with Porsche's SUV's / CUV's and luxobarge sedan lineup.

To quote The Dude from the Big Lebowski : " yea well, you know, that's just like uhhh , your opinion man " I get that my opinion may be based on a number of objective and subjective factors and perhaps I , along with the other members who are disappointed, are missing something about this 992 that may give us reason to give it further consideration...

I'd really like to see the other viewpoints and learn why the 992 should be considered a worthy successor to the 991 generation.

So I'd like to start a NON BASHING and CONSTRUCTIVE thread for those who are excited and optimistic for the upcoming 992 to join us and tell us exactly what we are missing.

What physical aspects of the 992 redesign are better than the outgoing model and why?
I agree with Bob Rouleau. Like him, I'm also very tempted to send this thread to the dumpster - and it's mainly due to the actions of limegreen.

Limegreen - nowhere in your OP, quoted above, did you state that you were going to disagree, challenge, and/or dispute virtually every positive comment regarding the 992. In fact, you started the thread ASKING Rennlisters to tell you why they love the 992, while demanding a NON BASHING approach. Yet you are the one guilty of the great majority of the bashing! If you genuinely want to hear others' positive opinions of the 992, I'd suggest you sit back and enjoy reading those opinions. Ask an occasional clarifying question if you wish - but don't challenge, dispute, and continually bash the 992. By doing so, you're violating the very rules you posted and you're making the thread all about you and why your opinion is the right one!

Bottom line: You asked for others' opinions. You didn't issue any warning that you were planning to argue against those opinions. Please conduct yourself in an appropriate manner.
Old 11-10-2018, 03:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

It is just a shame that a couple of people seem to work overtime to demean others opinions with nasty assertions about taste, motives or character rather than discuss the cars. Standard troll behavior and ruins a great Form.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:16 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by bigs
Bottom line: You asked for others' opinions. You didn't issue any warning that you were planning to argue against those opinions. Please conduct yourself in an appropriate manner.
THIS!!!
Old 11-11-2018, 02:41 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by bigs
I agree with Bob Rouleau. Like him, I'm also very tempted to send this thread to the dumpster - and it's mainly due to the actions of limegreen.

Limegreen - nowhere in your OP, quoted above, did you state that you were going to disagree, challenge, and/or dispute virtually every positive comment regarding the 992. In fact, you started the thread ASKING Rennlisters to tell you why they love the 992, while demanding a NON BASHING approach. Yet you are the one guilty of the great majority of the bashing! If you genuinely want to hear others' positive opinions of the 992, I'd suggest you sit back and enjoy reading those opinions. Ask an occasional clarifying question if you wish - but don't challenge, dispute, and continually bash the 992. By doing so, you're violating the very rules you posted and you're making the thread all about you and why your opinion is the right one!

I’m at a loss for words really. I have next to NO IDEA what you or everyone else is complaining about and I have absolutely NO CLUE why I am seen as such a villain for asking some challenging questions and expressing opinions that are no less valid than anyone else’s and also clearly shared among many right in this thread who have expressed plenty of thier own dislikes.

This thread is a complete misconstrued mess so I would say forget threatening about it and just go right ahead and delete it. While your at it you can go ahead and delete and ban me just the same. I had no idea how evil or radical my thinking was.

Have someone else start a LOVE thread , I won’t be there and I guarantee it will involve posts that aren’t 100% positive but so long as they don’t come from me I’m sure it will go along just fine.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:51 PM
Crester
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by G99x.y

1. touch everything;

I honestly think you are going to regret getting a 991.2 once the 992 starts hitting dealerships.
Old 11-11-2018, 03:53 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

"I would say forget threatening about it and just go right ahead and delete it. While your at it you can go ahead and delete and ban me just the same"

Perhaps then we would be done with repetitious pejorative rebuttals each time someone says what they like about the 992. But it would be far easier to go to the other thread for trolling and rejoinders. Posters there are on notice that it is free for all fun and if they enjoy that, great.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:52 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

It’s just a few more weeks until the reveal and I am pumped to see it. I am most interested to see if there is a big bump in price.

Quick Reply: Love the 992??! Please come in and tell us why in a NON BASHING, CONSTRUCTIVE thread