Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2019, 08:24 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Great points STG

We should all vote with our wallets for the 992.

I am surprised that Porsche doesn't get true hardcore 911 enthusiasts on board as advisers/hires to discuss design elements.
That's the funniest thing I've read in weeks. You may or may not agree with their choices, but I suspect that their design teams probably include and have access to a few Porsche enthusiasts.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:14 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
That's the funniest thing I've read in weeks. You may or may not agree with their choices, but I suspect that their design teams probably include and have access to a few Porsche enthusiasts.
I will have to think Porsche got the wrong enthusiasts - the nubbin, extra console space, test-tube/pause button third brake light, over-engineered door handles (way too unnecessary) etc. I highly doubt any serious Porsche enthusiasts will approve of those changes.

Maybe, it is a new team, and everyone wants to make for themselves at the company; hence the redesign.

I am 100% voting with my wallet on this one. I will be seeing the real one next month hopefully, and then state my final thoughts on this.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:00 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ABusLux

It’s great for selecting gears with three fingers while sticking the pinky out.
A shifter you must grip like this.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by mb1
I’m not sure how many real Porsche enthusiasts you’re gonna find in a focus group in China...
Old 02-09-2019, 12:26 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Name:  photo493.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  108.2 KB
Old 02-09-2019, 02:07 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes

I’m not sure how many real Porsche enthusiasts you’re gonna find in a focus group in China...
LOL we had to wait 55 years for the first panda 911?

they will come out saying the eastern cyber hackers have manipulated their computer aided designs just 1 minute before going to production

seriously i had recently the opportunity to work with a big german multinational,
the problem the germans have is the total lack in management capacity, they are very nice very friendly and so "democratics" but not so compatible anymore with any form of top down management,
this is due to the reaction to their past century heavy history, the only way they found to counter the giant amount of problems was to eradicate any form of decisionism (and thus personal responsability...) any "man and his dog" working for these companies can say any stupidity and no one can fire them as should be
remember the reason why we have fugly white socks pscb calipers ? Just because
he (the sub manager of that pscb project)
liked so much that color...

same story for the 992 door handle
and the same for the uncohesive squared front hood or the tokyo taxy rear bar light and so on (give me the name of who authorised the nubbin..)

anyway to understand the reasons behind such an iconic design evolution as the 911 you have to understand the culture driving that evolution

Last edited by fxz; 02-09-2019 at 04:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:16 AM
Sixpacked
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

Ever since I was a kid I always wanted the new Porsche 911. I still remember my metallic green 930 Turbo 1:18 toy car being my inspirational target of my 18 year birthday car. Then I grew up and learned that 911s was definitely not compliant with my income... but that just made me want one even more.

964, 993, 996 and 997... generations flew by and I was still saving money for my childhood dream in it’s latest generation.

During the years I tried lots of 911s and all of them just did that something special for me, when behind the wheel... even the 996. Unfiltered power and a feeling of being sent back in time where man+machine melted together in a symbiosis. A few changes from gen to gen, but still keeping that special 911 touch...and nerve.

This is where the 992 kind of ruins my history of always wanting to get the new 911. World is changing and so is the 911. Electric door handles that pops out, downsized engines with turbo, digital instrumentation on big screens inside, assistant systems doing braking and steering for you... making the machine a lot more than the man -Just like any other modern luxury car on the market.

It’s without doubt a fantastic car, that will go faster around Nürburgring than the 991, but the magic around the new 992 is gone - or perhaps it’s just me getting old. Perhaps a new 9 year old kiddo is playing around with a metallic green 992 - being his dream car... so you could say that the dream has been passed on to a new generation of people who will definitely look different on cars than we do....

Time change - we don’t

Old 02-09-2019, 05:30 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

^ Exactly the same when i was a kid,
but i am not so old nor unable to undestand the difference between stupidity combined with profits hungriness and the need for change
just look the 992 poll > They are alone
Old 02-09-2019, 07:33 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
You can tell the interior seems very cheap and plasticky. You can tell there were some budget constraints and cost cutting involved. You can see it in the steering wheel, the optional cosmetic trim options, door panels, center console, and even like having to pay for Alcantara headliner. Also delegating a bunch of functions to multi-step PCM functions.

They can tell and explain all they want, but design wise a MISS on many levels.

Even here on ONE example on the exterior. The hard lines here just stick out and distract rather than flow well.

Attachment 1300210
OMG. HIDEOUS. Those shutlines just destroy the flow of the front. It's SO clear Porsche were desperate for some gimmick, and forced on a 70's themed square design onto an otherwise extremely round and smooth 991 body. Very uncharacteristic and obvious on a 911. It takes all the focus from my eyes. Surely there must have been some better way they could have implemented a "long hood" look, or better yet just kept it the 991 way with more evolutionary tweaks.

Originally Posted by Archimedes

Exactly.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:09 AM
darkknight26
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 71 Posts

You may be surprised and of course, one has to define what a 'real Porsche enthusiast' is...
Old 02-09-2019, 08:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

The keys will never come out of my hands

Old 02-09-2019, 08:55 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Wendelin Wiediking ran Porsche from the 1990s until 2008. He saved Porsche from bankruptcy with the Boxster and 996 by changing how Porsche built cars (JIT). He developed the Cayenne and Panamera. He gave green light to the CGT although he killed the Le Mans racer the V10 was meant for. He also used Porsche profits to run a hedge fund designed to take over, repeat, take over VW. He came close and but ultimately failed when global stocks and and economies took a dive 2007. Why is this important? Porsche lost its most valuable asset, independence, when it was ultimately taken over by VW after much concern about who would rescue Porsche from the enormous hedge fund debt WWs failed takeover left behind. The 992 is the first 911 with more VW corporate influence than Porsche independence. The future of the 911 is in VWs court, not Porsche.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Sixpacked
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Maverick787
The keys will never come out of my hands

That's definitely understandable. Doesn't get any better than that one...
Old 02-09-2019, 10:10 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by djcxxx
Wendelin Wiediking ran Porsche from the 1990s until 2008. He saved Porsche from bankruptcy with the Boxster and 996 by changing how Porsche built cars (JIT). He developed the Cayenne and Panamera. He gave green light to the CGT although he killed the Le Mans racer the V10 was meant for. He also used Porsche profits to run a hedge fund designed to take over, repeat, take over VW. He came close and but ultimately failed when global stocks and and economies took a dive 2007. Why is this important? Porsche lost its most valuable asset, independence, when it was ultimately taken over by VW after much concern about who would rescue Porsche from the enormous hedge fund debt WWs failed takeover left behind. The 992 is the first 911 with more VW corporate influence than Porsche independence. The future of the 911 is in VWs court, not Porsche.
Awesome, we Rennlist can round up people and our contacts and create a fund - that way we can buy tons of shares and sit on the board of VW and mandate independence for Porsche or something. May sound funny to all, but I do not think so.

What do you think happened at MSFT - Ballmer didn't just leave, the activist investors got on board and demanded changes.

I do work with stocks
Old 02-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Sixpacked
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Awesome, we Rennlist can round up people and our contacts and create a fund - that way we can buy tons of shares and sit on the board of VW and mandate independence for Porsche or something. May sound funny to all, but I do not think so.

What do you think happened at MSFT - Ballmer didn't just leave, the activist investors got on board and demanded changes.

I do work with stocks
Hmmm.... interesting thought, but who wants to deal with future generations and their totally different view on mobility?....unless we're making cars for ourselves ;-) in ten years from now, a 18 year old won't know the difference between an Uber, train or bus... he just wants to get from A to B in the most effective way. Feelings for products as we know them will disappear... "as a service" is the new black....

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.