Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 04:52 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree, I'm all for tradition but at the same time I want a modern interpretation rather than a bunch of tacked on cheesy throwback bits like the new hood for instance. It simply doesn't fit the cars style nor does it provide any function seeing that there is no intake in the windshield cowl for that center scoop to feed air into . The interior is a disaster in that same regard, it seems as if they picked the absolute worst parts of the 70's interior to draw their " inspiration" from.

What has become so clear to me now is that the mid platform refresh ( the 992 ) can easily become a flop when there is nothing major to improve on from the previous car aesthetically.

What was in need of improvement over the 991.1 and .2 design wise? Were the door handles too hard to grab ? Was the brake light not ugly enough? Was the center console too clean and free of finger print grease?

I believe they had nowhere to go in the studio on the 992 and that the retro throwbacks and overall awkward design was the result of nothing more than them recycling old ideas because they couldn't come up with anything new. Very much in the same way that movie producers just keep remaking and rebooting old movies... It's just plain lazy and disappointing and while some don't agree it's all I see when I look at the 992.

What they should have done was little more than add a few exterior and interior tweaks to go along with the mechanical tweaks on the new wide body and called it a 991.3.

I'm really looking forward to the 994 because despite it likely being some horrid hybrid or worse... At the very least it will benefit from a clean sheet design and I have no doubts it will once again be beautiful inside and out vs. the overworked mess we are now stuck with for the next 8 years...

The 996 wasn't the prettiest car but it was at least a fresh modern take on the 911. Don't forget Porsche was also near broke when they designed it from scratch and yet still managed to do a halfway decent job. This time around Porsche was flush with cash and there should have been very little in the way of financial constraint preventing them from a stellar redesign.

Last edited by limegreen; 02-07-2019 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:56 PM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

^ Nice post
Old 02-07-2019, 07:14 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
You are trying to make the blanket statement that the price of something is the same as the cost. They are not equal.

The cost difference is 10k. Not the price.

Price = cost + value

Value is subjective, and different for each individual.
It's 10k more out of my pocket, you may want to argue about "value", "cost", "price", it's still 10k that I won't have anymore, for a vehicle has less "value" (to me) at a higher monetary cost than the one I did purchase for a lesser cost.

BTW, I "value" your posts.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
It's 10k more out of my pocket, you may want to argue about "value", "cost", "price", it's still 10k that I won't have anymore, for a vehicle has less "value" (to me) at a higher monetary cost than the one I did purchase for a lesser cost.

BTW, I "value" your posts.

LOL ...

Sounds like some sort of salesman tactic.

Can see this at a Porsche dealer .....

Sales guy:

Yeah, that isn't the price of the car so no need to stress. Just tell your wife your cost of buying the car is based on how much you value it. While you're at it, tell her how much you value her and she'll be so damn confused she'll never realize you just spent $160K on a car.

Name:  photo791.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  266.2 KB
Old 02-07-2019, 08:21 PM
STG
Race Director

At least this THREAD has NO price or cost and adds VALUE and entertainment for $0.00

Only on Rennlist can one argue about what to call the price of a new car. Unbelievable ..
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

As I was walking through the parking lot at the golf course today, I was reminded why the 992 is so awful. Because the new Panamera really is an ugly, ugly car. Where it's not generic looking, it's just plain awful, and if it didn't have a Porsche badge and name on it, there's little to nothing that would hint that it was a Porsche. And they took those design cues and ported them over to the 992. If I wanted to design a Salma Hayek, I wouldn't use Rosie O'Donnell as my starting point.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:47 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
As I was walking through the parking lot at the golf course today, I was reminded why the 992 is so awful. Because the new Panamera really is an ugly, ugly car. Where it's not generic looking, it's just plain awful, and if it didn't have a Porsche badge and name on it, there's little to nothing that would hint that it was a Porsche. And they took those design cues and ported them over to the 992. If I wanted to design a Salma Hayek, I wouldn't use Rosie O'Donnell as my starting point.
You hit the jackpot....what a quote!!!!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:59 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
In other news, the 992 GT3 .... no, that's not the real wing. That hideous thing is for testing.
Be careful, we are making assumptions that this won’t be the final wing design.... The last time we thought they were just incomplete testing it turns out that we were seeing the actual final front dash of the car, including the nubby... just saying!
Old 02-07-2019, 11:19 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna

Be careful, we are making assumptions that this won’t be the final wing design.... The last time we thought they were just incomplete testing it turns out that we were seeing the actual final front dash of the car, including the nubby... just saying!
That’s a chilling prediction of a VERY likely outcome.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:28 PM
STG
Race Director

I must say, an impressive process and a lot of hard work. It's a great video to watch. The ending with the testing is kinda boring. Yes, the 992 does walk on water!

Too bad the top down guidance on design couldn't have been better. Most of these poor souls here are just doing the grunt work of the process. Limegreen gave some good comments earlier on some of his opinions.

Not sure why they keep pushing the design aspect of explaining it so much with these books, videos, etc..... If I was them, the last thing I'd be talking about and highlighting is the design and just focus on the performance aspects.

Funny thing is, don't think there's all that much to brag about there either over the 991.2
Old 02-08-2019, 12:28 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

ok... that nubbin is REALLY F’in small. Wtf? I had let it go but this is just ridiculous. Not to mention the console is a fingerprint snd dust magnet
Old 02-08-2019, 01:46 AM
ABusLux
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Rennolazine

ok... that nubbin is REALLY F’in small. Wtf? I had let it go but this is just ridiculous. Not to mention the console is a fingerprint snd dust magnet
It’s great for selecting gears with three fingers while sticking the pinky out.
Old 02-08-2019, 02:27 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I was stuck behind a 992 today in traffic and to my eyes they just do not look anywhere near as good as any other recent 911.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:15 AM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I must say, an impressive process and a lot of hard work. It's a great video to watch. The ending with the testing is kinda boring. Yes, the 992 does walk on water!

Too bad the top down guidance on design couldn't have been better. Most of these poor souls here are just doing the grunt work of the process. Limegreen gave some good comments earlier on some of his opinions.

https://youtu.be/dqW43d7BzkU

Not sure why they keep pushing the design aspect of explaining it so much with these books, videos, etc..... If I was them, the last thing I'd be talking about and highlighting is the design and just focus on the performance aspects.

Funny thing is, don't think there's all that much to brag about there either over the 991.2
pause at 4:26 and 4:28

They actually had shift ***** designed for this car.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:22 AM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by ABusLux
It’s great for selecting gears with three fingers while sticking the pinky out.

Is that really the scale of the nubbin?? That small or is that a giants hand?? LOL.

If it's that small, we have even bigger issues. It's a toggle switch at that point. You don't even have to press a button. Might as well be a push button.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.