Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:25 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by ktu
The 991 interior design came from the first Panamera, didn't seem like it was a huge issue then. The 964, 997 4s, 991 4s etc. all had the horizontal tail lamp design before the current Panamera even existed. If anything the Panamera stole it from the 911. Do people hate the rear because its ugly (therefore they think the Panamera is ugly)? or is it not ugly but they hate it because it looks similar to the Panamera?
What are you talking about? The 991 didn’t copy the Panny interior at all. The Panny and Cayenne both too some cues from the 911, but were still distinctly sedan-ish. And IMO, just my opinion, the new Panny rear end is ugly, but it looks even worse on a sports car.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:06 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 552 Likes on 334 Posts

In defense of manufacturers, they all do the PR work of lending cars and holding junkets, if they do those right, the automotive press will remember those good times and maybe look upon their products more favorably. It's symbiotic.

However, the press has to be believable as well, they can't tell you it's aged wine when it's vinegar and retain their reputation.

One thing that has always stood out to me is the press praise of some makes that end up being ownership disasters. Some of them are very high end with pretty suspect reliability (a certain Italian make recently brought back to the US is an example, as well as British SUVs that still have electrical gremlins that date back decades). A bit of skepticism is useful when reading reviews.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:46 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Imagine if they took the 991.2

* Added the lighter aluminum

* Increased the HP just like the 992 which pretty much has the same engine from all reports.

* Didn't add all the additional weight, nor prepping the car and PDK for a hybrid. Who the hell needs an 8 speed PDK? Plus only doing a wide body across whole trim range which is also for the hybrid platform. All these items are a compromise to the current model for sake of prepping it for a hybrid. I think this is one of the biggest issues with me. Why on earth isn't any reviewer talking about all this added "fat"?? Rather they make excuses why the fat lady still manages to shake it up on the dance floor.

* Didn't try and cheap out by some of the cost savings all the while increasing MSRP.

* Evolved the 991.2 stying and didn't try too hard to be relevant to the masses.

* Actually had a 992 which weighed less than the 991.2

You'd have a pretty kick *** new generation ....

But you get a 992 which most reviewers still need to reassure viewers "this is still a 911" without great enthusiasm, rather using talking points why it's still a relevant sports car. It's pretty much a Panamera coupe as this point. Right???? That's fine, but it's lost its edge in my opinion. It's become too sterilized and domesticated. That could be a winning sales formula, but many enthusiasts still want something a little more raw and engaging.

Worrying about MPG, limiting RPM in city driving, and making sure we have a quiet enough cabin, exhaust, and road noise is taking this car down a different road.

The 911 is losing its independence and morphed into a inbred of the other Porsche models rather than a distant cousin.

"Let them make sedans and SUV's, as long as it gives them cash to make sports cars" .... The classic quote. Well now, the sports cars are being abducted by them.

Anyway, it is what it is at this point. Time to move on.

Last edited by STG; 01-20-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:20 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 348 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Added the lighter aluminum

Increased the HP just like the 992 which pretty much has the same engine from all reports.

Didn't add all the additional weight and prepping the car and PDK for a hybrid. Plus only doing a wide body across whole trim range which is also for hybrid platform. All these items are a compromise to the current model for sake of prepping it for a hybrid. I think this is one of the biggest issues with me.

Didn't try and cheap out by some of the cost savings all the while increasing MSRP.

Evolved the 992.2 stying and didn't try too hard to be relevant to the masses.

Actually had a 992 which weighed less than the 991.2

But you get a 992 which most reviewers still need to reassure viewers "this is still a 911" without great enthusiasm, rather using talking points why it's still a relevant sports car. It's pretty much a Panamera coupe as this point. Right???? That's fine, but it's lost its edge in my opinion. It's become too sterilized and domesticated. That could be a winning sales formula, but many enthusiasts still want something a little more raw and engaging.

Worrying about MPG, limiting RPM in city driving, and making sure we have a quiet enough cabin, exhaust, and road noise is taking this car down a different road.

As I read this I thought, yeah that’s really it in a nutshell, isn’t it.
Old 01-20-2019, 04:41 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

del

Last edited by fxz; 01-20-2019 at 08:16 AM.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:30 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

* Increased the HP just like the 992 which pretty much has the same engine from all reports.

* Didn't add all the additional weight, nor prepping the car and PDK for a hybrid. Who the hell needs an 8 speed PDK? Plus only doing a wide body across whole trim range which is also for the hybrid platform. All these items are a compromise to the current model for sake of prepping it for a hybrid. I think this is one of the biggest issues with me. Why on earth isn't any reviewer talking about all this added "fat"?? Rather they make excuses why the fat lady still manages to shake it up on the dance floor.

* Didn't try and cheap out by some of the cost savings all the while increasing MSRP.

* Evolved the 991.2 stying and didn't try too hard to be relevant to the masses.

The 911 is losing its independence and morphed into a inbred of the other Porsche models rather than a distant cousin.

"Let them make sedans and SUV's, as long as it gives them cash to make sports cars" .... The classic quote. Well now, the sports cars are being abducted by them.

A couple of additional desires....
-ditch the particulate filter. There's no law for this YET in the US and it adds weight.
-Shorter gearing 1-4
-Hybrid - there is a company that will convert a 991.1 to a hybrid for 75K. Pricing aside - if they can figure it out with the given space, then Porsche's R&D should be able to come up with something more clever on the 992.
-Manual - please just put a 6 speed in it.
-Weight - use the 991.1 as the target lightness to beat. This would be impressive with all the turbo hardware
-Eliminate extra motors... like the ones in the door handles. (weight and simplicity)
-Same size wheels.... I'm not convinced the 21" rears are necessary.
Old 01-20-2019, 03:30 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Harris review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjrarc...ature=youtu.be

Seems like these reviews just try and make it appear this car is still a 911 and so much comparison that it's just like a 991. ___

Harris starts out with "It's bigger, better, and uses less fuel". Is he talking about a Cayenne??

As if he's read all the Rennlist criticisms and tries to counteract them. He does throw a few snipes in there with the cup holder and plastic rear engine cover. Overall, think he was happy just to wrap up the review.

"It's still a 911" that's about what you get out of it.
Thanks for posting the link.

It was a funny when the key fob couldn't operate the folding door handles. They'd better work out the glitches in the folding door handles soon or we'll start hearing even more arguments about how more complexity=more things to fail... we lost that argument years ago when we accepted starter motors over hand cranks and aircon and power windows and water cooling and PASM and ... well whatever - each new model always seems to have more bits crammed in. Just make sure they work somewhat reliably.

CH said the nubbin wasn't terrible - but he has (oops had) a GT3T so he doesn't DD a PDK. He didn't mention the bacon strips but talked about the 3D sculpting of the "round ***". He didn't get excited about anything, actually, but CH only seems to be happy when he's sliding a car sideways and wasting good rubber. He does have a couple moments where he emits a little excitement... cue up that video at 10:03 and 10:37.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:09 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

(Full disclosure: Porsche wanted us to drive the 2020 911 Carrera S so badly that it flew me to Valencia, Spain, put me up in a hotel, fed me a lot of food and rented out the Circuit Ricardo Tormo for a whole day.)

I am wondering how a grown person without mental disease can take seriously those "reviews" ?

Last edited by fxz; 01-20-2019 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

It's pay to play propaganda.

Play nice or don't get invited to the next free European trip.

Spain this time. For the 991.2 was the Canary Islands. Nice gig
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
It's pay to play propaganda.

Play nice or don't get invited to the next free European trip.

Spain this time. For the 991.2 was the Canary Islands. Nice gig
Anyone who is influenced into such a large purchasing decision based on hearsay or opinionated articles, deserves to be screwed.
Best to drive it for yourself, our inputs, driving abilities and sensory perceptions make for a unique mix of thoughts and feelings that no one else can substitute.
I'll focus on driving what i have a lot more, and getting better at it. Thank you Porsche for saving me some hard-earned money!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:30 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Harris review:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjrarc...ature=youtu.be

Seems like these reviews just try and make it appear this car is still a 911 and so much comparison that it's just like a 991. ___

Harris starts out with "It's bigger, better, and uses less fuel". Is he talking about a Cayenne??

As if he's read all the Rennlist criticisms and tries to counteract them. He does throw a few snipes in there with the cup holder and plastic rear engine cover. Overall, think he was happy just to wrap up the review.

"It's still a 911" that's about what you get out of it.
It was a tough review to sit through, so forced and contrived. Frankly, the new Chris Harris (top gear) is perfect for the new 911 (992).
Old 01-21-2019, 09:37 AM
Porsch
Banned

Received 250 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

That sounds nice but the reality of the actual 992 convinced me to order another 991.2 before the door completely shuts. Do I need two 991.2s? No, but the 992's introduction made me realize we are truly at the end of an important era in 911 history.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,146 Likes on 629 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Anyone who is influenced into such a large purchasing decision based on hearsay or opinionated articles, deserves to be screwed.
Best to drive it for yourself, our inputs, driving abilities and sensory perceptions make for a unique mix of thoughts and feelings that no one else can substitute.
I'll focus on driving what i have a lot more, and getting better at it. Thank you Porsche for saving me some hard-earned money!
Most cars are so good/capable nowadays that there is little to no performance difference on the street. Add that to the fact that most consumers testify to no lag (even on a 991.2) compounds the ignorance vs 30 years ago when people actually could; and did, work on their own cars.

They don'r spent a lot of time talking about the sound level, sq ft of leather and other things that consumers actually judge for themselves.

Bench racing sells cars. Internet hype accelerates ROI on the new shiny things.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:23 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Yes but the Godfather of Porsche Journalism, Pete Stout, has spoken, and he said it drives fantastically. I will forever hate all there's to hate on the car but I have no doubts it drives wonderfully, if he says so. One word from him is worth a thousand from monkey Harris and all other YouTube self-described experts.
^ Lol. I think that title belongs to Sloniger, Ludvigsen, Leffingwell, or Frère.

I'm just a tourist—or maybe a janitor?
Old 01-21-2019, 03:36 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by dkhm3
well to be honest, i don't know if he was thrilled with the none gt 991.2 either.
Thats an interesting comment.

If we look at the cars Harris buys for himself, I think that indicates where his real passion lies. It may not be what we all like, but it’s at least honest. And sometimes practical. From memory, he bought a Ferrari FF, a 991.1 GTS and a GT3 Touring. I could be less than impartial though. I think they’re all classics.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.