Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 07:23 PM
Mechanic
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

It was inevitable: Porsche would continue to tug and pull at the original design year after year, and eventually those responsible for the "new" design would end up with a car that bears so little resemblance to the original aesthetics that it's meaningless to compare it to prior models.

Last edited by Mechanic; 01-08-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:35 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mechanic
It was inevitable: Porsche would continue to tug and pull at the original design year after year, and eventually those responsible for the "new" design would end up with a car that bears so little resemblance to the original aesthetics that it's meaningless to compare it to prior models. Wishing it were otherwise is an exercise in futility.
Oh come on. So little resemblance.

The new car, while comically overweight, is obviously descended from the 64 longhood, the 356, and the beetle before it.

Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 AM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 421 Likes on 249 Posts

Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Here is the dude who probably approved this design. I feel so blah about the 992, it is not even funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGgDb_dL5Y

I love how he is the chief exterior designer and then keeps referring to parts of it being amazing and genius.

Yeak..okay.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:11 AM
italiafan
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Argon_
Oh come on. So little resemblance.

The new car, while comically overweight, is obviously descended from the 64 longhood, the 356, and the beetle before it.

With an even larger amount of the new beetle in it.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Chief exterior designer?!? Wtf he looks 24 years old.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:36 AM
LnC993
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Chief exterior designer?!? Wtf he looks 24 years old.
Hmm...992 did looks like it was design by a 24 years old.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:18 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

https://newsroom.porsche.com/fallbac...ten-15164.html

The design team

Name:  photo399.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  604.2 KB

Name:  photo76.jpg
Views: 968
Size:  706.1 KB
Old 01-05-2019, 02:47 PM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

Born in '78 hmm... that doesn't line up at all with a generation that would add the bacon strip brake lights and the Kardashian rear. The 964/993 might have been the posters on the wall when he was a teenager. In other words, we can't blame it on his youth - but heading the department at age 38 after only 2 years at the company? That's not old enough or enough time to have learned from a few failures. Fixing that now.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:01 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by digits
Born in '78 hmm... that doesn't line up at all with a generation that would add the bacon strip brake lights and the Kardashian rear. The 964/993 might have been the posters on the wall when he was a teenager. In other words, we can't blame it on his youth - but heading the department at age 38 after only 2 years at the company? That's not old enough or enough time to have learned from a few failures. Fixing that now.
To be fair, his freedom as a designer is heavily constrained by other considerations. If he gets orders to package-protect a hybrid drivetrain, then anything that comes out of his studio will have a bloated rear end. The decision to use wheels that belong on a city bus also wouldn't have been his, although he tried to make the best of it and arguably succeeded.

Some things, though, like the bacon-strip CHMSL, are harder to excuse. It certainliy made no sense for him to act like it is some sort of timeless design innovation. I like the "pause button" metaphor, but the implementation is cheap and artless.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
To be fair, his freedom as a designer is heavily constrained by other considerations. If he gets orders to package-protect a hybrid drivetrain, then anything that comes out of his studio will have a bloated rear end. The decision to use wheels that belong on a city bus also wouldn't have been his, although he tried to make the best of it and arguably succeeded.

Some things, though, like the bacon-strip CHMSL, are harder to excuse. It certainliy made no sense for him to act like it is some sort of timeless design innovation. I like the "pause button" metaphor, but the implementation is cheap and artless.
Two light up fins would have looked great. This is a cheap knockoff.
Old 01-05-2019, 08:22 PM
bmcginn
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys need to get a life. I’ve owned 4 911’s since 1984 and the banter is always the same for every new iteration. When the 996 was introduced with a water cooled engine, you would have thought the earth’s axis of rotation was shifting. And the most bizarre part about your rantings is most of you haven’t even seen the car in person yet.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:31 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

The most significant change for me is the dash. Forever, I’ve been excited about having the five pack. The cayman was never enough with three... had to have the five. After two years of driving the AudiTT, all I ever used in the screen was the fake gauges.

Consider this - 991.2 is the last of the great Mohicans. To me it’s as significant as the air-to-water cooling change. There will never be another air cooled 911, and there will never be another five-pack analog gauge 911. It’s the end of an era.

my wife’s first reaction was: “where are the gauges?”

peace.
Old 01-05-2019, 09:55 PM
Argon_
Pro

Originally Posted by dribar
The most significant change for me is the dash. Forever, I’ve been excited about having the five pack. The cayman was never enough with three... had to have the five. After two years of driving the AudiTT, all I ever used in the screen was the fake gauges.

Consider this - 991.2 is the last of the great Mohicans. To me it’s as significant as the air-to-water cooling change. There will never be another air cooled 911, and there will never be another five-pack analog gauge 911. It’s the end of an era.

my wife’s first reaction was: “where are the gauges?”

peace.
You do realize that one of the '5 Pack' was a screen?

I'd be ok with the new layout if the tach font were better.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

[QUOTE=bmcginn;15544434]
You guys need to get a life. I’ve owned 4 911’s since 1984 and the banter is always the same for every new iteration. When the 996 was introduced with a water cooled engine, you would have thought the earth’s axis of rotation was shifting. And the most bizarre part about your rantings is most of you haven’t even seen the car in person yet.
[Quote]
I get what you’re saying and sure, some of us “haters” are having a little fun at the 992’s expense. But that doesn’t take away from the very real fact that there are some awkward design elements here. The larger issue is that the 992 seems to have drifted away from the true ethos of what a 911 should be. I’m sure it’s faster around the Nurburgring and all, but it looks as though it really is turning into a luxo Panamera coupe. 911s have always focused on the driver involvement. The one car that would do it all. Track or grocery store runs. But it was always lightweight, driver centric with feedback like no other. There are plenty of plush luxury “sporty” cars out there from Audi, MBZ, Infiniti etc etc. The 911 should stand alone, separate from the others. I feel it’s drifting into the pack.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.