Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Old 11-03-2018, 04:12 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't like the new Astons... however I could see adding an older one with some of that gnarly depreciation already baked in at some point.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:15 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 723 Posts

After all those valid comments, there still be a lot of people paying the dreadful ADM for an allocation. Considering the taste the stealerships got from the GT cars, I'd say 7-10k for a buildable allocation for the first 6 months. They have the product and we have the itch.
Old 11-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
After all those valid comments, there still be a lot of people paying the dreadful ADM for an allocation. Considering the taste the stealerships got from the GT cars, I'd say 7-10k for a buildable allocation for the first 6 months. They have the product and we have the itch.
A few "must have its" will get suckered into ADM in the first couple months sure. But within 6 months they'll be had at discounts.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:31 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

There will be NO ADM's on Carrera's. There will be plenty. If Porsche dealers actually attempt that, walk. You should be able to get a 2%-4% discount. Some of you guys feed all this craziness. It's bad enough with the GT cars.
Old 11-03-2018, 08:51 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
There will be NO ADM's on Carrera's. There will be plenty. If Porsche dealers actually attempt that, walk. You should be able to get a 2%-4% discount. Some of you guys feed all this craziness. It's bad enough with the GT cars.
When the 991 came out, dealers in Houston were charging 2k above MSRP. That's way before the current GT nonsense.

GT or not, 911s are not pieces of handmade jewelry. The production is highly automated and very efficient. Their profit margins are already enormous and on top of that comes the dealer greed. In that sense, perhaps it's good that the design is not universally accepted (although the electric steering debacle comes to mind). Perhaps this way it will hamper their eagerness to overcharge.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:12 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Don't be one to be hounding dealers wanting to be on "the list", put $$ down, etc. After the first few months of taking orders, the initial hype will wane off. ADM on a Carrera, what a joke. Even a joke on the GT cars. That bubble will burst sooner than later. Low rates and over inflated stock market won't last.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
No. Not for a run of the mill 911. Especially that mess. Buyers should have no trouble getting a car below MSRP.
Old 11-03-2018, 09:36 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 698 Likes on 510 Posts

5% discounts all day..on this new 911 Carrera...
Old 11-03-2018, 10:07 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Don't be one to be hounding dealers wanting to be on "the list", put $$ down, etc. After the first few months of taking orders, the initial hype will wane off. ADM on a Carrera, what a joke. Even a joke on the GT cars. That bubble will burst sooner than later. Low rates and over inflated stock market won't last.
The bull always dies eventually. Over leveraged people will dump their luxury items at a loss.

That's the time to buy fun cars.
Old 11-03-2018, 10:54 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by STG
Agree completely. Just a matter of time. I'm cashing up meanwhile...
Old 11-04-2018, 02:18 PM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/tech...388-16349.html

It looks like it is time to go electric. More cost and more trouble.The soot particles collected in the filter must be burned off from time to time. This is known as regeneration. But it must also work in low outdoor temperatures and on short journeys. In such cases, the engine control unit ensures that the filter heats up by increasing the exhaust gas temperature—for instance, through another combustion or a higher engine speed. With long periods of frost and a lot of short drives, a somewhat longer drive can be necessary for regeneration. “But in real road traffic we can usually get by without these protective measures,” emphasizes Werner. His team put in several hundred thousand test kilometers to put the system through its paces. The result: the cleanest Porsche models of all time. Living in hot climates with never having frost will make you feel like a diesel driver.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:00 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Alright let’s talk about these ridiculously cheesy pop out door handles ....

Serously ? Everytime someone unlocks the car the door handles flip out because?

What’s the point of this absurd over complication added to yet another simple and basic component?

What happens when they don’t pop out because the actuator stops working ?

Why does Porsche think it’s 911 customers want this SEMA pimped out show car crap ?

What’s next ? Glow lights for under the car ? How about offering an air bag option to slam the car down on its cambered out 20/21’s when the car is parked ?

Old 11-05-2018, 12:31 AM
03LX470
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Anyone notice how similar the interior of the new Mazda 6 is to the 992 interior?
The Mazda is better!

if this hideous 992 interior goes to production I’ll be kissing goodbye to the Porsche brand! Have already stopped buying my ex favorite SUV Cayenne since the 2015 face lift when even GTS lost 2 cylinders + it’s exhaust sound!
Old 11-05-2018, 01:08 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Limegreen - Once again, I agree with you. I like the current iteration of the 911 door handles. Elegant but highly functional and they are similar to the door handles from models past (such as the 993 I posted here). Form meets function. Part of the attraction to the 911 for me is that the model evolves but maintains its DNA. To take the metaphor further, it's DNA is getting mutated with some of the new (improved?) design features, one of them being the door handles. The new flush door handles look similar to the Tesla door handles.

Something that has not been talked about too much thus far is the change of the PDK to an 8 speed. It is not being changed for the sake of an improved transmission. It is being changed to make room for hybrid technology...in the 992.2 - maybe. In other words, in ways, the 992 is half-baked. It is making modifications to the car for purposes of making paradigm-shifting changes (maybe) in the next generation. Apparently, Porsche is not happy (yet) with the hybrid technology for the 992.1 but they are hoping to have it ready for the 992.2.

I am also disappointed in the side view mirrors but I will leave that for another post. To my eyes, the 991 sport design mirrors are head and shoulders better looking than the power folding mirrors on the 992. Perhaps the sport design mirrors will be available as an option in the 992 but I have not seen any mules with them.

Old 11-05-2018, 07:37 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Why does Porsche think it’s 911 customers want this SEMA pimped out show car crap ?
because many of them do, just look at the other threads. People high fiving each other over "better tech" and " newer is always better" and "the shaver shifter will be cool once they're all like that".

They'll look at some dumb nurburgring time that's two or three seconds lower and they'll say "see, it's a better car", oblivious to all pieces of nonsense. Just look at how pumped up people are about hybrid versions coming up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.