Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 577 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Es macht nichts
Don't know if it will be the one (I wasn't blown away with my first-generation GT4) but one thing is for sure, they'll make plenty of them and you don't need to have an early deposit in. The days of limiting the GT# cars are gone. They made more than enough GT4s, 991.1 GT3s, 991.2 GT3s, and we're even seeing plenty of RSs now. Not saying you shouldn't feel lucky to own one as I'm sure it will be a very nice car. But it won't be a unicorn chase by any stretch.
I have the same feeling about the GT cars. There seem to be so many of them out there now.
Old 01-03-2019, 05:53 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by limegreen
The 718 is indeed a fantastic sports car when compared to it's rivals. When compared to previous 6 cyl variants is where it falls short.
Only falls short in sound. That's it.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:31 PM
L_perm
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Just had my first look at a comprehensive set of 992 pics--late to the party, I know. I've never posted in this kind of thread before and don't post much generally. But, I have never had the kind of negative reaction to any 911 model that I just had to the 992.

Generally speaking, I find the front and rear treatments to look cheap. The car has been squared-off in a non-Porsche way. It no longer has that curvy, sensuous look that hints at a beautiful woman. It is as if the car is now aimed at a new audience. China?

The front has moved too far in the direction of the Lexus wide mouth. The nose looks raised, tall, as if trying to appeal to muscle-car fans. (I like good muscle cars, but I have never considered my 911 to be one.)

The rear evokes both the Volkswagon Bug and a bad 1990 sci-fi version of the future. Square (from directly behind) and bulbous at the same time.

I like the breakup of the center console and dash.

The nubbin/razor is laughable. It seriously looks like someone put it there as a joke. Could just as well be an oversized switch instead of a shifter.

Didn't think I would ever say this of a 911 model, but I like the 996 better.

Or, perhaps I've gotten old and out of touch with modern tastes. I don't like much of today's so-called "music" either.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:29 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by myflat6
I rarely venture out into the water cooled forums but heard rumors of this thread in the 911 forum so had to check it out. Hilarious. Now back into the garage to work on my POS '72.

Thanks for stopping by. "Rumors of this thread"??
Old 01-04-2019, 02:09 AM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Here is the dude who probably approved this design. I feel so blah about the 992, it is not even funny

Old 01-04-2019, 11:19 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 159 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Here is the dude who probably approved this design. I feel so blah about the 992, it is not even funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGgDb_dL5Y
I saw that. My thought was that I could have done a better job selling / spinning the changes and I'm a numbers guy.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

He didn't approve it. He's the exterior designer.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:08 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKGgDb_dL5Y

The moment they found themselves featuring a THIRD BRAKE LIGHT as a major design feature should have also been the same moment of roaring laughter in the design studio followed by the sound of the entire design being thrown in the garbage.

Other than the wider rear flares, I can't really find any other exterior design features that I'd consider positive.

I also find this whole " connection" with the 930 design that they keep attempting to ram down our throats completely absurd.

What in the world is he talking about in "design feature #4" with the "lower rear end design" drawing inspiration from the 930? He has to be joking right? We all have eyes and what they see is NOTHING that even closely resembles that 930 rear end. The 992 rear end is higher than an 80 year old man's waist line and made worse by that awful robo cop narrow light bar that has more in common with a new Lincoln SUV than it does previous 911 models.

It seems the marketing strategy with the 992 is aimed at convincing us of the greatness of this re-design that simply doesn't exist.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:11 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by limegreen
What in the world is he talking about in "design feature #4" with the "lower rear end design" drawing inspiration from the 930? He has to be joking right? We all have eyes and what they see is NOTHING that even closely resembles that 930 rear end. The 992 rear end is higher than an 80 year old man's waist line and made worse by that awful robo cop narrow light bar that has more in common with a new Lincoln SUV than it does previous 911 models.
LMAO. I was thinking the same with the lower rear end. I couldn't believe he said that. That's really the only thing that I really don't like on the 992. The rest, I can come to terms with. I also paused the video when they did the birds eye views of the 930 and 992. Huge differences, especially the rear fenders.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:26 PM
Fdvigna
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
LMAO. I was thinking the same with the lower rear end. I couldn't believe he said that. That's really the only thing that I really don't like on the 992. The rest, I can come to terms with. I also paused the video when they did the birds eye views of the 930 and 992. Huge differences, especially the rear fenders.
Indeed, we are living in the post-truth era afterall... where facts don’t matter and we all get dizzy in the spin zone!
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fdvigna

Indeed, we are living in the post-truth era afterall... where facts don’t matter and we all get dizzy in the spin zone!
Couldn't have said it better myself. Just lie so much that they start to believe you.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:46 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

The rear end rising over the years is one of the modern 911's more lamentable design directions. That sloping, tucked-in butt from the air cooled cars was once a distinctive part of the design, but every revision sees the bumper getting fatter and taller and less unique. With the 992 they seem to be trying to mask the height with that big black panel - black is "slimming," after all.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Fdvigna

Alternative facts!
Old 01-04-2019, 03:14 PM
Bloose993TT
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Great news - Porsche just announced a new option to replace the nubbin for PDK cars...

Introducing the new PDKorelco shifter - for only an extra $2500 you can have this upgrade and be done with the nubbin. It fits perfectly in the palm of your always smooth hand and is reminiscent of manual shift *****. This is shifting redefined. Every true shaving/shifting enthusiast will have to have one.

I'm in as long as you can get it in PTS though.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:00 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,168 Likes on 590 Posts

The silver car in the video with the 991 turbo wheels shows just how similar the cars really are. Once you start seeing them on the road poeple are going to be a whole lot less dramatic about it. The car really hasn't changed that much and in person I thought it looked MUCH better than I thought it was going to. Even the interior felt nicer in person.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.