Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by bonn72
Well, from those two pics (Rocket_boy), it looks like the 992 will be less maintenance.
LOL,....there are some things in life I'll gladly pay a little more for.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:04 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
LOL,....there are some things in life I'll gladly pay a little more for.
LOL. True!. There's always a happy medium we can settle for.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:31 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Maybe some were right when they say the 911 just looks like a Beetle... saw a newer white Beetle on the road yesterday and even with the wheels... I can't unsee it. Here you go you want sport design package or not with your gloss black Fuchs wheels

Old 12-28-2018, 12:47 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 65 Posts

There is no denying Porsche heritage and the Beetle connection. It is always in your face. I can live with it easily.

In fact, I'm looking forward to the new Porsche Minivan. It is going to be the best camper ever. Bring it on!
Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 593 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone
There is no denying Porsche heritage and the Beetle connection. It is always in your face. I can live with it easily.

In fact, I'm looking forward to the new Porsche Minivan. It is going to be the best camper ever. Bring it on!
Agree. Beetle was designed by Ferdinand Porsche and the 911 by Butzi. If you look at the transition from the Beetle to the 356 to the 911, it's very clear.
Old 12-28-2018, 03:45 PM
fxz
Race Car

Location: The way to hell is paved by good intentions “Wenn ich Purist höre...entsichere ich meinen Browning” "Myths are fuel for marketing (and nowadays for flippers too,,,)" time to time is not sufficient to be a saint, you must be also an Hero
Received 422 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Semitone

how soon the cab?
Old 12-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Maybe some were right when they say the 911 just looks like a Beetle... saw a newer white Beetle on the road yesterday and even with the wheels... I can't unsee it. Here you go you want sport design package or not with your gloss black Fuchs wheels

The 356 and 911 descend directly from the beetle. No surprise there.
Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 PM
sampelligrino
Drifting

Received 457 Likes on 272 Posts

Sure, all 911s derive from the Beetle no doubt but this gen is too close of a clone for my personal taste from the front clip. Same for the Panamera (reviving the dead horse) as they all look similar now. The 911 used to feel uniquely 911 but this seems far further from that than the 991. I know they say that every generation, so maybe this is "that" generation for me
Old 12-29-2018, 12:27 AM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
FINALLY a real side by side pic! Any more angles of these two?

I think the rear is the strongest angle of the 992 when judging against the 991. It looks a liittle tidier and slicker, but at the same time more awkward. Hard to place how I feel about it next to the 991. I REALLY dislike the 991.2 taillights with that odd "arrow cut" on the inner corners, as it just looks fussy and pointlessly clunky to me (especially next to the streamlined 992 tails), but otherwise the 991 rear holds its own quite well. The side view is essentially identical between the two, so the "better/worse" factor there is essentially negligible (I love the 991 greenhouse and currently like it more than the slightly narrower 992 greenhouse as I just find the formers perfectly proportioned and authentic 911, but even that is small beans in the grand scheme). The front I think is where the 991 looks strongest next to the 992.

One thing I'm really bummed about re: 992 rear, is how they've made the rear window larger and more generically "square" shaped. It doesn't have that tight and dramatic "tapered cut" towards the bottom which is a 911 trademark. Obviously Porsche sacrificed that in order to have the glass flow right into the engine vents. That part is a very big downgrade out back on the 992 imo.
Ha! I think the rear is god awful. The yellow diffuser makes the rear look like an attempt at a smiley face, to say nothing of the fake "sewer pipe" exhausts.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:13 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Ha! I think the rear is god awful. The yellow diffuser makes the rear look like an attempt at a smiley face, to say nothing of the fake "sewer pipe" exhausts.
Yellow does not look good on the 992. I’ll admit that just about any color looks good on the 991, but generally like the 992 with the SportDesign package. Take a look with the yellow on the configurator with that option. It breaks up the black bulk on the back end.

I also like the interior. The shaver **** doesn’t matter to me as I drive a stick. The lower vent and gigantic cup holder are poorly placed, but I like the horizontal homage to the original 911. If you can turn off that iMax screen, it’ll be okay.

My concern is more about the added electronics and over a million lines of code. My PCM already freaks out now and then with 100,000 lines of code. I don’t need a sensor to tell me when the road is wet and I prefer real gauges, not simulations of gauges.

I just need to wait to experience the car. Maybe it’s terrific.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:06 PM
nwjade
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy

Yellow does not look good on the 992. I’ll admit that just about any color looks good on the 991, but generally like the 992 with the SportDesign package. Take a look with the yellow on the configurator with that option. It breaks up the black bulk on the back end.
The SportDesign package definitely improves the looks of the front and rear. So if you want the 992 front and rear to look more like the stock 991.2 it's a $4890 option.

Also the stock 991.2 roof lining in Alcantara is now a $1360 option on the 992. I don't like Alcantara generally but for the roof lining it's nice.

Sure glad I bought my 2018 991.2
Old 12-29-2018, 07:24 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by sampelligrino
Sure, all 911s derive from the Beetle no doubt but this gen is too close of a clone for my personal taste from the front clip. Same for the Panamera (reviving the dead horse) as they all look similar now. The 911 used to feel uniquely 911 but this seems far further from that than the 991. I know they say that every generation, so maybe this is "that" generation for me
There's also the possibility that we're all just getting old and less open to change

As my wife told me one day: "We're not getting any younger you know. At least you're not "
Old 12-31-2018, 11:24 AM
GTS01
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=limegreen;15370966]The center console of a 911 used to be exclusively dedicated to shifting the car and later added buttons to make it more aggressive and louder.

Now it's most prominent feature is dedicated to holding a freakin big gulp. Who cares about cup holders in a sports car? Better yet, how many people actually allow beverages in their 911 at all?

it is my understanding a Porsche female VP dictated the inclusion of the cup holder in the center console—it’s all I see when I look at the center console.

what I really do not like is the drop in pressurization for the engine and the fake exhaust tips (the exhaust outlets). The tips are not authentic.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:12 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=GTS01;15532173]
Originally Posted by limegreen
The center console of a 911 used to be exclusively dedicated to shifting the car and later added buttons to make it more aggressive and louder.

Now it's most prominent feature is dedicated to holding a freakin big gulp. Who cares about cup holders in a sports car? Better yet, how many people actually allow beverages in their 911 at all?

it is my understanding a Porsche female VP dictated the inclusion of the cup holder in the center console—it’s all I see when I look at the center console.

what I really do not like is the drop in pressurization for the engine and the fake exhaust tips (the exhaust outlets). The tips are not authentic.
Boost is down because compression is up.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:51 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Great news - Porsche just announced a new option to replace the nubbin for PDK cars...

Introducing the new PDKorelco shifter - for only an extra $2500 you can have this upgrade and be done with the nubbin. It fits perfectly in the palm of your always smooth hand and is reminiscent of manual shift *****. This is shifting redefined. Every true shaving/shifting enthusiast will have to have one.

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.