Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring. (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1105807-hate-the-992-official-venting-thread-ultimate-bashing-allowed-step-in-the-ring.html)

garfunkle 12-22-2018 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 15514074)
How much you think Audi relies on the R8?

You are correct, it has gotten Porsche to this point, but will be less of a reliance in the future.

What will take Porsche down is the billions they're gambling on electric. Public opinions, government regulations, and agenda change with the weather and economic times. Could be a gamble that consumers never fully embrace.

I think the electric cars will greatly under perform.

Audi relies on trie R8 a great deal and has done a masterful job of trickle down. The TTS/RS is dubbed the mini R8. The A3, 4, 6, 8 etc all have styling queues directly from the R8. So the "halo" car is similar. Acura (NSX) and Lexus (LFA) could have made their halo cars much more equitable by driving similarities into the lay people cars.

Porsche has the history but pulling out of some racing is diluting that.

Porsche is a business and has been masterful at running their business. The Macan is now the cash cow. Porsche is also trying to attract new people to the brand. Audi has had much luck being a leader in interior design and tech. I believe the 992 was in fact a miss in this area.... but an attempt to compete with a Mere SL at this point. Another competitor is the F type which was a huge part of bringing Jaguar back.

garfunkle 12-22-2018 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Marv (Post 15514501)
All one needs to do is look at the advertising Porsche does for each marque. That will tell you exactly who they are reaching and what they are marketing those products as.

Porsche marketing is not a slouch organization. They know full well what they are doing.

As for your prediction that Porsche will fail due to its electric car gamble, you might look at what the whole auto industry is doing. Over $90 billon is pledged globally by the industry in the EV market. There is no choice. Governments are forcing the phase-out of internal combustion engines, either by outright bans in cities or regions or by taxing you out of them. At some point fuel will become so expensive that driving them (where allowed) will be a luxury.

I don't believe the "weather" nor "economic times" are going to derail the electric car and there is at least $90 billion dollars riding on that bet.

90Bil? Ans we can't even get 5Bil for an electric fence?

STG 12-22-2018 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Marv
All one needs to do is look at the advertising Porsche does for each marque. That will tell you exactly who they are reaching and what they are marketing those products as.

Porsche marketing is not a slouch organization. They know full well what they are doing.

As for your prediction that Porsche will fail due to its electric car gamble, you might look at what the whole auto industry is doing. Over $90 billon is pledged globally by the industry in the EV market. There is no choice. Governments are forcing the phase-out of internal combustion engines, either by outright bans in cities or regions or by taxing you out of them. At some point fuel will become so expensive that driving them (where allowed) will be a luxury.

I don't believe the "weather" nor "economic times" are going to derail the electric car and there is at least $90 billion dollars riding on that bet.

I guess my assumption is that fuel will be reasonably priced for a LONG time. Look how much the US is producing. Also, nobody mentions what kind of fuel it will take to make all this electricity and resources for batteries and eventual disposal or recycling. The average person can't afford these expensive "feel good" purchases.

Since August, these companies have lost $1.2 TRILLION $$$$ in market cap. The electric investment isn't too big to fail. The EURO's will manage to drive and regulate their own economies and industries into the gutter.

$90 BILLION Isn't that much in the big scope of things spread across many companies.

Attachment 1297654

STG 12-22-2018 10:44 AM

Anyway, don't want to get to off topic on the environmental debate.

I just think governments trying to regulate what the consumer market will purchase doesn't always work.

The lease on my Macan is up soon, next thing I'm likely getting is a JEEP.

garfunkle 12-22-2018 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by STG (Post 15514619)
I guess my assumption is that fuel will be reasonably priced for a LONG time. Look how much the US is producing. Also, nobody mentions what kind of fuel it will take to make all this electricity and resources for batteries and eventual disposal or recycling. The average person can't afford these expensive "feel good" purchases.

Since August, these companies have lost $1.2 TRILLION $$$$ in market cap. The electric investment isn't too big to fail. The EURO's will manage to drive and regulate their own economies and industries into the gutter.

$90 BILLION Isn't that much in the big scope of things spread across many companies.

Attachment 1297654

This selloff is what happens when you elect a bunch of democrats. They said if trump got elected the market would crash. It didn't. They said if you don't vote liberal then the market would crash. There is a pattern here.

Bash Hat 12-22-2018 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by garfunkle (Post 15514642)
This selloff is what happens when you elect a bunch of democrats. They said if trump got elected the market would crash. It didn't. They said if you don't vote liberal then the market would crash. There is a pattern here.

Are you high? The market is tanking because of the moron in chief in the WH. Investors panicking over global trade wars fears and uncertainty. Yeah, that stock market really had pretty crappy returns between 2008 -2016....🙄

STG 12-22-2018 11:44 AM

Let's leave the politics out of this. The moderators will jump in quick and ruin the party here.

The market has been artificially ballooned with multiples that didn't make logical sense. Many parts of the whole economy are in a bubble, real estate, etc ...

Ikone 12-22-2018 01:17 PM

I bet the Taycan will sell like crazy. The amount of Model S cars I see in this area is nuts. It will fill a void. There is no mass produced electric sports car out there right now. Model S doesn't fit that category. And the new Tesla one will be 200K+.

FactoryMatt 12-22-2018 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by bonn72 (Post 15514941)
I bet the Taycan will sell like crazy. The amount of Model S cars I see in this area is nuts. It will fill a void. There is no mass produced electric sports car out there right now. Model S doesn't fit that category. And the new Tesla one will be 200K+.

If they get it right. You cant give tesla/lotus roadsters away.

Ikone 12-22-2018 01:31 PM

Yes, very true. You have to get it right. I mean the new Tesla Roadster coming in 2020.

FactoryMatt 12-22-2018 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bonn72 (Post 15514965)
Yes, very true. You have to get it right. I mean the new Tesla Roadster coming in 2020.

I know. Maybe the lotus version was the microsoft tablet of ecars and the timing was just wrong, but i hope they studied its failure.

Ikone 12-22-2018 01:36 PM

I personally would not buy a Tesla until they allow independent shops to work on them and give them access to parts. Also, not so keen on their factory accident rate. A bit too shady of a company for me right now. I'm not a huge fan of electric cars, but I know my DD one day will be one.

STG 12-22-2018 01:45 PM

Interesting how there is actually little chatter on how much people love the 992. Usually with any new hot release, there is a lot of excitement.

Even those who like it, seem a bit reserved. It's a mixed bag.

I think they tried being all things to everyone with the new design, and in turn don't have any one group super excited. Not a winning formula.

STG 12-22-2018 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1297658

digits 12-22-2018 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by bonn72 (Post 15514941)

Agree. I've never seriously considered Tesla, but I WILL go check out a Taycan as soon as I get the chance.

The 992 doesn't have me excited enough to even expect that I'll test drive it when they hit the dealer lots. From a driving experience I suspect it will be just like my 991.2 only with shorter gears. The new tech features are nice, but that's certainly not going to make me upgrade. Maybe I'll be excited when they release the TT or even a hybrid version. I know - that's blasphemy! But I'll be interested anyway. Weird how they are pitching the new compact design PDK as having made "room" for a hybrid electric motor. It's not like I could buy a 992 now and somehow retrofit that into the car.