Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 11:15 AM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

No model will take the place of the original 996 being the low water mark of the 911. The 964 is 2nd place imo and the 992 the 3rd. I just visited to se what round 3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 etc look like.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:18 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

"Time is a Porsches Best Friend"

long hoods were forward dated to bumper cars - now everyone wants stock
Bumper cars were "just old cars" their prices shot up
964. UGLY BUMPERS. Now it's "the thing" in the non-long hood porsches
993. ugly lights, smashed nose. heavy and fat. continue to be strong
996. well everyone hates those. except the GT3 and GT2, and look at the prices on those now, you could pickup a 996gt3 at 50k a few years ago, gt2 have nearly doubled
997. old crap. shot up, still strong
and it's happening now with the 991

Here's a secret to those who don't need the latest fashion:
Buy on the dip and enjoy
Except the M96 996 cars. don't buy those.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,482 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by Senna01
Amazing how often this happens on every new 911 launch.
This is rubbish, that's rubbish, they should have done this or that. Don't like this curve, or that. Don't like turbo's etc etc.
And then many of us are first to jump onto their order book. Including me by the way
no not me
i buy them bc I need a car to drive but I rarely keep them bc they are all bad....

very very very very few cars I kept over a year. after 30 years the only car that lasted that long was 997rs4.0. the rest were just not that great
Old 10-20-2018, 02:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by ClassJ
Exactly! We are holding onto our E90 until something better comes along. I can't stand the outgoing 3 series. Always has looked, felt, and driven terrible.

Same goes for the last X3. I love my M40i but would not touch the outgoing truck with a 10 foot pole.
The new X3 is REALLY nice. I had a go in an M40i. It's WAY better than a Macan GTS. Quick and also handles really well.
Old 10-20-2018, 06:26 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by fxz
and designers...
I can't tell if these comments are snarky or not. Nothing Porsche does to the 911 in the future is ever going to make people look back and think, "Man, those 996/997 headlights sure looked good."
Old 10-20-2018, 06:30 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
I can't tell if these comments are snarky or not. Nothing Porsche does to the 911 in the future is ever going to make people look back and think, "Man, those 996/997 headlights sure looked good."
We got much bigger problems than headlights. People will go back and think "ah, how I long for those days when headlights were the problem".
Old 10-20-2018, 06:58 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty

no not me
i buy them bc I need a car to drive but I rarely keep them bc they are all bad....

very very very very few cars I kept over a year. after 30 years the only car that lasted that long was 997rs4.0. the rest were just not that great
Wat about CGT?

If you can only keep one, what would you keep?
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 PM
lecoultre

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sad thing is that the 911 will not be getting better: its all downhill from here.
Electrification will be the end of automobiles as we have come to enjoy them. Forget performance figures. The sound and feel of an engine, vital to the sensory pleasure of driving a sports car, will be gone. The car is becoming just another appliance.

Future generations of people won't know what they are missing and will not see anything wrong with cars. But the coming years are going to be a long period of sadness, frustration, and anger for the enthusiast. We are right in the middle of what is a historically significant period: the end of an era. I find myself increasingly apathetic to the automotive industry and cars in general, perhaps as a way of coping.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:38 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by lecoultre
The sad thing is that the 911 will not be getting better: its all downhill from here.
Electrification will be the end of automobiles as we have come to enjoy them. Forget performance figures. The sound and feel of an engine, vital to the sensory pleasure of driving a sports car, will be gone.
So true. I was doing an early drive before 7 this morning on a great road with a few farm houses on it and I had the PSE off and I was short shifting to keep it quiet. Once I cleared the houses I turned PSE on and it totally changed the experience. I realized that I use the sound so much to help me know what the car is doing and I drive much cleaner and crisper with the sound up than I did with the sound off. Sound off changes the experience massively.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
We got much bigger problems than headlights. People will go back and think "ah, how I long for those days when headlights were the problem".

Exactly! I wish all we had to complain about are the headlights .

The 996 for all its faults, was a very straightforward and no nonsense drivers car and it was a blast to drive.

If they were back in production I’d have a deposit down for one right now. As for the 992.... I’ll pass ....

Last edited by limegreen; 10-23-2018 at 02:35 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:35 PM
neuroguru
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nubbin=circumcision gone wrong. A metaphorical neutering of our connection with a sports car. Definitely in Stage 2 of Kübler-Ross's SCL grief paradigm (Sports Car Loss).

--- Sufferer of GSSA (Gear Shift Separation Anxiety)
Old 10-22-2018, 03:30 PM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't hate. But I am VERY discouraged by Porsche's constant need to make the 911 bigger, longer and wider. I gave up hope long ago of the "next gen" being a bit smaller "dimensionally" but sort of held out hope that at some point it might stay the same size with cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. I now have no hope of that ever happening.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by rkwfxd
I don't hate. But I am VERY discouraged by Porsche's constant need to make the 911 bigger, longer and wider. I gave up hope long ago of the "next gen" being a bit smaller "dimensionally" but sort of held out hope that at some point it might stay the same size with cosmetic and mechanical upgrades. I now have no hope of that ever happening.
This. To me the 992 is no longer unique. I guess the 991 was the last gen to hang onto the analog approach which I really like.

Every car has what the 992 has. Screens and tech everywhere. Sure it's going to be better in pretty much every measurable category, but it's not going to be any "cooler" IMO.

What's going to separate the 992 vs something like an M6? Better handling and that's about it.

Then again, time will tell and I'll probably swallow every word.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:45 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Psorcery
This. To me the 992 is no longer unique. I guess the 991 was the last gen to hang onto the analog approach which I really like.

Every car has what the 992 has. Screens and tech everywhere. Sure it's going to be better in pretty much every measurable category, but it's not going to be any "cooler" IMO.

What's going to separate the 992 vs something like an M6? Better handling and that's about it.

Then again, time will tell and I'll probably swallow every word.
I don’t think you will and just like yourself I can clearly see that Porsche isn’t going to satisfy by producing cars that continue to trade subjectivity for objectivity.

I don’t give a rats a$$ if the 992 is faster because in an age where everything performs extemely well and a Tesla can outrun the latest supercars from 0-60 it frankly doesn’t matter.

The 911 became too fast for the street about 3 body styles ago.

What i want is a car that is most importantly fun and rewarding to drive and overwhelms all the senses with driving and ownership pleasure. Porsche has missed that mark more with each iteration and this 992 certainly isn’t going to get things back on track in that regard.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:33 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen

What i want is a car that is most importantly fun and rewarding to drive and overwhelms all the senses with driving and ownership pleasure.
Miata Is Always The Answer

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.