Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:25 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

All the current Ferrari’s have analog tach flanked by digital screens just like the 992. Also, the Portofino and GT4Lusso have large central touch screens, again just like the 992. They all have buttons for selecting drive. They are covered in leather everywhere, so pretty luxurious. And you can get a digital screen for the passenger to see the revs, which I would say is pretty gimmicky. I just don’t understand why Ferrari is so great and the new 992 sucks so much.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:38 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Ferrari sells like 9K cars worldwide. Porsche sells like 10K 911's just in the USA.

911's are a mass produced sports car and they want to have a very wide audience for it.

Ferrari can cater to a more niche customer.

Absolutely, but THAT'S exactly what Porsche should be doing with the 911, using the 911 and Cayman to cater to the niche customer. Leave the tech overload and luxury features for the LUXURY cars that are currently in their lineup rather then trying to homogenize them .

Originally Posted by Warren99
All the current Ferrari’s have analog tach flanked by digital screens just like the 992. Also, the Portofino and GT4Lusso have large central touch screens, again just like the 992. They all have buttons for selecting drive. They are covered in leather everywhere, so pretty luxurious. And you can get a digital screen for the passenger to see the revs, which I would say is pretty gimmicky. I just don’t understand why Ferrari is so great and the new 992 sucks so much.
The analog tach and digital screens on the cluster is perfectly fine in the 992 providing it offers superior functionality over the outgoing cluster. The problem is the GIANT computer screen next to it that compromises the entire interior layout in order to accommodate it.

Also, forget comparing the Portofino and GT4 Lusso those are the luxury GT offerings more in line with what a 2 door Panamera would be so I could care less what cheesy techno garbage they want to load those up with.

The 911 doesn't need any of that gimmicky crap to sell well regardless of what you are being led to believe. The highest priced / most desirable 911's sell without actual interior door handles for crying out loud.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:45 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

Meh, Ferrari has a certain slime associated to it that I don't gravitate too.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:08 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts
Default Porsche cleaning accessories

[QUOTE=limegreen;15385570]Great job with the interior redesign Porsche. You took a perfectly functional center console and turned it into a disgusting i pad covered in finger grease and spilled liquids.... This should be called the : 6 year old kids i pad option.

That's some forward thinking Porsche, great job getting ready for the next generation of buyers who grew up playing with disgusting smudged screens, they will feel right at home in the 992... Are you also planing to provide a roll of paper towels in that GIANT glove box to soak up the liquids that will spill into that trough?

[/Q

Can't wait to see the retail pricing on the accessories - Porsche authentic Cleaning cloths for $ 59.99 a 10 pack and the required environmentally safe liquid gel cleaner in a spray applicator for $ 99.99.............glad I have my PCA 10% discount to use at the dealer for these needed accessories...........
Old 11-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
What we want is not an exact replica of a Miata interior but rather the philosophy of the Miata interior.

Here's the interior of a 250k 488 GTB that has no problem selling incredibly well without gimmicky luxury car BS that Porsche loves sprinkling every car with now. Aside from the Italian over the stop styling the interior is no nonsense and incredibly functional. That's what a 992 interior should have been striving for but instead we get the interior of some silly SUV or luxo barge.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:13 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Agree with many of the statements here. Why does the 911 have to take on the interior and exterior characteristics of the Panamera and SUVs? Has the average new 911 buyer actually become so interested in luxury, tech and gimmicks and less so on classic styling and driving? Probably so.....

Sure, 911's are mass produced compared to the average Ferrari, but not even close to Corvettes produced,.....and I don't see Chevy making the Vette look anything like an Equinox lately,....it definitely maintains it own identify through and through. Could you imagine the sales dive the Corvette would take if made to look like the rest of Chevy's lineup? Surely with the profits Porsche makes the 911 could maintain a complete identity all its own.

Is Porsche that interested in mass appeal for the 911? From everything they have ever sent me over my 25 years of ownership, the message has always been how special the 911 is and should remain, guess they are backing off that a bit.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:21 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,170 Likes on 591 Posts

What we want is not an exact replica of a Miata interior but rather the philosophy of the Miata interior.

Here's the interior of a 250k 488 GTB that has no problem selling incredibly well without gimmicky luxury car BS that Porsche loves sprinkling every car with now. Aside from the Italian over the stop styling the interior is no nonsense and incredibly functional. That's what a 992 interior should have been striving for but instead we get the interior of some silly SUV or luxo barge.
I like that interior (same with Audi R8 which has a similar feel) but I hate the radio controls being in the central dash only. If I'm cruising with the wifey she's in charge of music.... all I can think about is her leaning over the driver's seat to see the dash as she scrolls through stations/etc...
Old 11-01-2018, 06:58 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

[QUOTE=abiazis;15402954]
Great job with the interior redesign Porsche. You took a perfectly functional center console and turned it into a disgusting i pad covered in finger grease and spilled liquids.... This should be called the : 6 year old kids i pad option.

That's some forward thinking Porsche, great job getting ready for the next generation of buyers who grew up playing with disgusting smudged screens, they will feel right at home in the 992... Are you also planing to provide a roll of paper towels in that GIANT glove box to soak up the liquids that will spill into that trough?

[/Q

Can't wait to see the retail pricing on the accessories - Porsche authentic Cleaning cloths for $ 59.99 a 10 pack and the required environmentally safe liquid gel cleaner in a spray applicator for $ 99.99.............glad I have my PCA 10% discount to use at the dealer for these needed accessories...........
Jesus Christ. THIS for f sake.

That console is a filthy trap that collects skin oils THEN traps any dust/other particles that touch it. How can one justify that? How? It looks like a nightmare. I bet if you ran your fingers or nails across those circled areas it would feel rough from the dried whatever residue that is.

Only thing I can guess is a $3000+ interior option which gives you carbon fiber or something else.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:09 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

[QUOTE=Psorcery;15403163]
Originally Posted by abiazis
Jesus Christ. THIS for f sake.

That console is a filthy trap that collects skin oils THEN traps any dust/other particles that touch it. How can one justify that? How? It looks like a nightmare. I bet if you ran your fingers or nails across those circled areas it would feel rough from the dried whatever residue that is.

Only thing I can guess is a $3000+ interior option which gives you carbon fiber or something else.
this is no different from the current gen panameras- even in the showrooms, the smudges are seen easily. sucks.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:33 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Sure, 911's are mass produced compared to the average Ferrari, but not even close to Corvettes produced,.....and I don't see Chevy making the Vette look anything like an Equinox lately,....it definitely maintains it own identify through and through. Could you imagine the sales dive the Corvette would take if made to look like the rest of Chevy's lineup? Surely with the profits Porsche makes the 911 could maintain a complete identity all its own.
Ironic comparison considering Chevy is completely stripping the Corvette of its identity by making it a mid-engined car next year...
Old 11-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by Warren99
Yes, I for one am glad Porsche is following the herd and copying other manufacturers. I look forward to the day when I can order my Poraudivolks Carrassat R8.2.
Old 11-01-2018, 08:34 PM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Yes, I for one am glad Porsche is following the herd and copying other manufacturers. I look forward to the day when I can order my Poraudivolks Carrassat R8.2.
Luckily , you wont have to wait too much longer.... Next 911 platform will be the one! ( that ends it all completely)
Old 11-01-2018, 09:05 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
I’m not saying I’m glad Porsche is following the herd. I’ve just seen pictures posted on here essentially saying this is an interior is done right, like the Ferrari, and I personally see similarities to the hated 992 interior. I just don’t fully get it. I know it was said the Portofino isn’t a 992 competitor, but I’d argue the Portofino is more of a Carrera S Cab competitor than a 488. Just an opinion though.

Ultimately I’ll reserve final judgement when I sit in the final product. As of right now, there are things I like and things I’m not crazy about with the new interior.
Old 11-02-2018, 12:49 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Ironic comparison considering Chevy is completely stripping the Corvette of its identity by making it a mid-engined car next year...
Sure, but you will never mistake it for a Chevy sedan or SUV,.....it may be great, it may be ugly, but it won't be confused with anything else in the lineup.

Also think Mustang & Camaro. Love or hate them, they retain their complete own identity, in fact both Ford and Chevy take great pride in keeping them that way. Porsche wants to make the 992 look like a Panamera, Cayenne & Mecan. Other manufactures have taken this route also,....Audi (pretty much same front end and back end), Lexus with poop grill, BMW (not sure what concept they even have, except ugly angular looking front scoops),...all of them seem to follow the recent trend of "brand identification",.....everything needs to look exactly the same so you know it's a Lexus ?? Really ?? A 911 needs to look like everything else in the lineup so you recognize it as a Porsche? How funny that is.

Porsche can't afford a few design team members specific for the 911?,......they have to use the ones from the Pany/SUV team? There is no part sharing in the final designs, so don't know what the end goal is here, to just dilute the 911 into the rest of the lineup?
Old 11-02-2018, 02:24 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 699 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Agree with many of the statements here. Why does the 911 have to take on the interior and exterior characteristics of the Panamera and SUVs? Has the average new 911 buyer actually become so interested in luxury, tech and gimmicks and less so on classic styling and driving? Probably so.....

Is Porsche that interested in mass appeal for the 911? From everything they have ever sent me over my 25 years of ownership, the message has always been how special the 911 is and should remain, guess they are backing off that a bit.
It appears that Porsche wants to own your entire garage by category of vehicle and the styling cues provide a connection across vehicle categories.......and they know if you have an emotional connection to the Porsche brand you will buy the Cayenne or Panamera to complement one of their sports cars you already own - 718, GT, 911 instead of a Land Rover or Mercedes....

Porsche is homogenizing the line to link together with the design cues.........they see it as branding strategy or their marketing people definitely do......

Quick Reply: Hate the 992??! OFFICIAL VENTING THREAD # Ultimate bashing allowed. Step in the ring.