Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy now or hold?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2018, 09:21 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Cool! I've been to PEC-ATL four times. It's awesome. At this point, I'd wait for the 992 too. I'm really good at buying Porsches, not good at waiting or selling my other Porsches. A 992.2 Targa is in my future for sure. Keep us posted.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:03 AM
blurum
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi All,
new member, and just bought my first 911 this week. Did not want to wait for 992.
prefer the analog gauges
leftover but new 991.2 2017 nicely optioned Carrera base at sizable discount .
absolutely love it. Intend to drive it into the ground as it’s my first non leased car.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:30 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by blurum
Hi All,
new member, and just bought my first 911 this week.
Congrats! Very exciting
Old 07-09-2018, 10:35 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Waiting for the 992 911 will be worth it. For over 12 years now the new cars have been very reliable percentage wise. Check the stats and you will read that first model cars in the computer age of building do not have the problems that first year models use to experience. So you can wisely purchase new the first model year and be confident. I have had 16 911 cars and every newer model has been significant better than the previous model. The leadership of Porsche understands that even though 911 sales are close to the the lowest percentage of sales that the 911 must meet a strict standard of performance. Having talked to some Porsche insiders just this afternoon I heard some amazing improvements coming in the 992 such as engine position being moved up some more; brakes being improved, steering being improved, both Trannys being improved and sound improving. Not to mention some of the inside improvements. As said earlier, if you don't like the 992, you can always secure a decent deal on a Pre-Owned 991.2 GTS.
All good news. I am excited that the sound is going to improve on the 992.
Cheers
Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 PM
dribar
Racer

Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Waiting for the 992 911 will be worth it.
Cheers
thanks dude!
Old 07-10-2018, 08:08 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Waiting for the 992 911 will be worth it. For over 12 years now the new cars have been very reliable percentage wise. Check the stats and you will read that first model cars in the computer age of building do not have the problems that first year models use to experience. So you can wisely purchase new the first model year and be confident. I have had 16 911 cars and every newer model has been significant better than the previous model. The leadership of Porsche understands that even though 911 sales are close to the the lowest percentage of sales that the 911 must meet a strict standard of performance. Having talked to some Porsche insiders just this afternoon I heard some amazing improvements coming in the 992 such as engine position being moved up some more; brakes being improved, steering being improved, both Trannys being improved and sound improving. Not to mention some of the inside improvements. As said earlier, if you don't like the 992, you can always secure a decent deal on a Pre-Owned 991.2 GTS.
All good news. I am excited that the sound is going to improve on the 992.
Cheers
Re: Engine being moved more to the middle (again), it’s one of those things that on a technical/paper scale is an “improvement,” but in terms of keeping that classic 911 feel and iconic “secret character sauce,” one has to wonder and hope it doesn’t move “too far” up the middle, if you catch my drift. Considering the 991 already did and while it’s still rear enough, it did change the character a bit in itself (once again, doing so obviously enhanced its balance and chassis composure).
Old 07-10-2018, 09:28 PM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Reasons I'm currently waiting:
1. I have a 991.1S and love it. There have been enough .1 vs .2 threads that I won't dare start that crap here but I just don't see the reason to upgrade from a .1 to a .2.
2. If the 992 is released and I'm not in love, there will be great discounts to be had on the outgoing 991.2's.
3. I believe the 992 will improve on the 991.2's FI platform is both performance and theatre (fingers crossed).
4. I will most likely be a GTS buyer next time around which means I will end up buying 2nd year of 992 production and hopefully the majority of new model issues have been sorted out by then.
5. The interior will most likely be a major upgrade in the 992. Let's face it, Audi interiors (wife has a new TT RS) are on another level compared to the current 991 and it looks like the 992 generation will be the first to really have that Audi influence on the inside (e.g. new Panamera). Some will argue that is not a good thing but I think it's great

Reasons I would stop waiting:
1. If I didn't have a 911. Life is too short and uncertain to not be enjoying one of these cars right now. Seriously. Go buy a CPO car now if you don't have one.
2. If I was strongly considering a GT car. I'm still on the fence about picking up a GT car. I recently moved to Venice in CA and most of my driving (except for weekend canyon trips) is fairly low speed and I'm afraid it just won't get driven the way it should
3. If I decided on a Targa. The 991 Targa models weren't announced until 2015, roughly 3 years into the current generation production. That's a long time to wait.

I think there are both good and bad reasons to wait. It just depends on your specific circumstances and what you are looking for out of a 911.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:00 PM
Gh0st0
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by phow
Reasons I'm currently waiting:
1. I have a 991.1S and love it. There have been enough .1 vs .2 threads that I won't dare start that crap here but I just don't see the reason to upgrade from a .1 to a .2.
2. If the 992 is released and I'm not in love, there will be great discounts to be had on the outgoing 991.2's.
3. I believe the 992 will improve on the 991.2's FI platform is both performance and theatre (fingers crossed).
4. I will most likely be a GTS buyer next time around which means I will end up buying 2nd year of 992 production and hopefully the majority of new model issues have been sorted out by then.
5. The interior will most likely be a major upgrade in the 992. Let's face it, Audi interiors (wife has a new TT RS) are on another level compared to the current 991 and it looks like the 992 generation will be the first to really have that Audi influence on the inside (e.g. new Panamera). Some will argue that is not a good thing but I think it's great

Reasons I would stop waiting:
1. If I didn't have a 911. Life is too short and uncertain to not be enjoying one of these cars right now. Seriously. Go buy a CPO car now if you don't have one.
2. If I was strongly considering a GT car. I'm still on the fence about picking up a GT car. I recently moved to Venice in CA and most of my driving (except for weekend canyon trips) is fairly low speed and I'm afraid it just won't get driven the way it should
3. If I decided on a Targa. The 991 Targa models weren't announced until 2015, roughly 3 years into the current generation production. That's a long time to wait.

I think there are both good and bad reasons to wait. It just depends on your specific circumstances and what you are looking for out of a 911.
haha, these are good reasons for sure
Old 07-10-2018, 11:18 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 709 Likes on 322 Posts

It's easier to wait when you have a 911 currently....
Old 07-14-2018, 05:36 PM
hymo1200
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I am currently in a similar situation. Thinking of trading my current Panamera 971 e-hybrid for a 911.

the two options are:
1. going for a Targa 4 GTS 991.2, which is available as demo car, reasonable priced and ready for a switch.
2. waiting for the 992 at least 8-9 month, getting the newer and more modern car, with the downside that it will get - as expected - more expensive and for the very beginning, a few options (like PSE etc.) maybe not even available.

not an easy decision, taking immediately the still good looking and fairly priced Targa GTS or wait and getting the newer car with - maybe - some limitations at the very beginning...

Old 07-16-2018, 02:03 PM
porsche07
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by hymo1200
I am currently in a similar situation. Thinking of trading my current Panamera 971 e-hybrid for a 911.

the two options are:
1. going for a Targa 4 GTS 991.2, which is available as demo car, reasonable priced and ready for a switch.
2. waiting for the 992 at least 8-9 month, getting the newer and more modern car, with the downside that it will get - as expected - more expensive and for the very beginning, a few options (like PSE etc.) maybe not even available.

not an easy decision, taking immediately the still good looking and fairly priced Targa GTS or wait and getting the newer car with - maybe - some limitations at the very beginning...

I'm in the same boat. Tough decision. Do you really think the PSE wont be available at the get go? Did that happen when the 991s was released?
Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

Actually this was the case when buying my Panamera, the PSE was not available at the beginning, only 3 months later!

Same is true for the HUD and some other options. You can also check availability of Options for the new Cayenne, there are also some options listed with a later date!

anyone knows what options are usually coming later for the Launch of the 911?

Old 07-17-2018, 01:03 PM
porsche07
Advanced

Interesting. I didn't know that. Man, I don't know what to do haha. GTS now or hold out for an S? Tough one
Old 07-18-2018, 05:45 AM
hymo1200
Advanced

I decided to go for the 992, as I know me, as soon as the new model is out, I´d look to have all that new design & features... ;-)

and going now for a GTS and swithcin in 1-2 years time, for my taste is too much waste of money...

anyone know if also the 4S models are available right away from the launch? or do the all-wheel drive models arrive only later (like the Cabrio and GTS models... !?)
Old 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
porsche07
Advanced

Yea, I agree. I just hate waiting. Hoping they'll be out around March but something tells me it could be more like September-ish. Guess well see haha.

And I think the 4s came out a year after the base and S 991.1 were announced.

Quick Reply: Buy now or hold?