Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-245/)
-   -   thoughts/concerns/specs on 992? (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1055643-thoughts-concerns-specs-on-992-a.html)

rijowysock 03-07-2018 08:54 PM

thoughts/concerns/specs on 992?

told dealer to put me down just to see what it's like, (they said 8 months till delivery?) curious who else got an ETA from their dealer on the vehicle?

wait aside, do you guys feel it's going to be the same 3.0L but tuned a little better (not really a fan how the base and S now have same 3.0L with small changes)

how do you guys feel about the "panamera" like dash?

captainkirk 03-07-2018 10:12 PM

I am okay with Panamera dash....I just hope they get the exhaust pipes design better (so far on the spy pics they look better than 991.2), and PSE needs to be louder and car needs to faster!!! I do wonder what new tech we all will get to see.

I have not put a deposit down (will do once the first batch cars are out with reviews); gathering monies for it.

subshooter 03-07-2018 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by rijowysock (Post 14854288)
told dealer to put me down just to see what it's like, (they said 8 months till delivery?) curious who else got an ETA from their dealer on the vehicle?

wait aside, do you guys feel it's going to be the same 3.0L but tuned a little better (not really a fan how the base and S now have same 3.0L with small changes)

how do you guys feel about the "panamera" like dash?

It's going to be the same engine. Porsche is not going to design and build a new Turbo engine for only 2 (maybe 3 years). The Base/S/GTS are going to get it. It will be tuned with about 20 more HP. I don't care about the dash at all. It needs to work ergonomically which I am certain it will. I care about how it drives which will be fantastic.

I don't see 8 months as realistic either. Here is what we know from the rumors:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/porsches-reinvention/

When do these new 911s arrive? Here’s what we know:

• October 2018: Carrera 2S and Carrera 4S coupés revealed, with first customer deliveries February 2019.

RRDnA 03-08-2018 02:10 AM

The engine state of tune will change such that the "base" will make about 420HP, the S 450HP and the GTS 475HP. I suspect the torque profiles may change a little and we may see VTG turbos make an appearance. These will be pared with an 8 speed box with slightly shorter ratios to give even greater acceleration.

The current SX51/GTS 9A2 configuration delivers tremendous all round performance. They may also tweak the base level compression ratio. Irrespective of what happens it will be very good.

I'm looking forward to seeing what suspension tweaks they come up with - possibly an extra degree of movement added to RAS would be nice.

Freddie Two Bs 03-08-2018 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by RRDnA (Post 14854868)
The engine state of tune will change such that the "base" will make about 420HP, the S 450HP and the GTS 475HP. I suspect the torque profiles may change a little and we may see VTG turbos make an appearance. These will be pared with an 8 speed box with slightly shorter ratios to give even greater acceleration.

I think the gap between base and S will continue to be at least 50hp. So more likely to be base 400, S 450. They would cannibalize the premium models badly if they left only 50hp between base and GTS. Also the higher you go in HP, the less the few additional ones matter, so the gaps might in fact get bigger than the .2.

Rocket_boy 03-08-2018 10:47 AM

Won't be going for a base/S,.....all in for the next GTS though IF they cut down on the lag, make it sound a bit better, and don't destroy the looks.

Rennolazine 03-08-2018 10:22 PM

Either they will add 15-20hp to the 9A2 tunes or come up with a 3.0 for the new modular platform. They might also use a different motor in the S.

we are all guessing, right?

RRDnA 03-09-2018 03:41 AM

From memory the HP numbers were published in a PCA article - however, I can't find it :)

Freddie Two Bs 03-09-2018 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rennolazine (Post 14856783)
They might also use a different motor in the S.

That seems highly uneconomical. The name of the game is use as many common parts as possible.

LexVan 03-10-2018 10:32 AM

I subscribe to the "next best 911 is the next 911" camp. Riley, as often as you change out cars, go for it. Try it. Enjoy it.

rijowysock 03-10-2018 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by LexVan (Post 14859635)
I subscribe to the "next best 911 is the next 911" camp. Riley, as often as you change out cars, go for it. Try it. Enjoy it.

i really like the frunk and headlights, reminds me of the first 911's i saw and built models of as a kid....

the 991.2 however did nothing for me, and i regretted buying it entirely...

Dewinator 03-12-2018 05:12 PM

Any chance they could do the same 3.0L with a supercharger? I believe the efficiency gains of a turbo could actually be illusory when you take into account haveing a whole addition system to take engine power when you already have an alternator, and using a supercharger could further reduce lag whereas going up to a higher tune on the same engine could increase it.

LavaGTS 03-12-2018 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dewinator (Post 14864562)
Any chance they could do the same 3.0L with a supercharger? I believe the efficiency gains of a turbo could actually be illusory when you take into account haveing a whole addition system to take engine power when you already have an alternator, and using a supercharger could further reduce lag whereas going up to a higher tune on the same engine could increase it.

Can you send me some of that stuff you're on at the moment?

Dewinator 03-12-2018 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Nino (Post 14864574)
Can you send me some of that stuff you're on at the moment?

It’s too good I’m not sharing. =D

Dewinator 03-12-2018 05:38 PM

Seriously though it was aviation dogma forever that pressurization/air conditioning should be done with “free” bleed air behind compressor sections (usually 2 different ones to allow a stable pressure across engine throttle settings) yet Boeing discovered on the 787 that they could actually make the engines more than enough more efficient by simply doing away with all that complexity and just doing it electrically. I suspect the same thing is the case with turbochargers... thermodynamically it should be more efficient but once you’re hauling around all that extra complexity and weight in the car, I think it may not be.