Sponsored by:

thoughts/concerns/specs on 992?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2018, 11:17 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by gary.lee
I think 992 will be the last generation with ICE cars. The world will be all-electric in 5 to 10 years. You wont find a gas station. You can spam but you cant change the future. All the discussion about engine and exhaust sound will be pointless because there wont be an engine. It's called a electro-magnetic motor.
Do you actually believe that? The whole planet all-electric and no petrol stations in five years? Millions of ICE cars, bikes, trucks, service/emergency/military vehicles scrapped/converted/replaced, range and infrastructure issues solved (in remote or poorer regions especially)? And what about emergency situations?

Call my opinion "spam" but I don't think that'll happen any time soon, not purely with electric vehicles that rely on the grid at least. Besides, I don't see what that has to do with the 992.
Old 05-14-2018, 02:18 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by JMartinni
Do you actually believe that? The whole planet all-electric and no petrol stations in five years? Millions of ICE cars, bikes, trucks, service/emergency/military vehicles scrapped/converted/replaced, range and infrastructure issues solved (in remote or poorer regions especially)? And what about emergency situations?

Call my opinion "spam" but I don't think that'll happen any time soon, not purely with electric vehicles that rely on the grid at least. Besides, I don't see what that has to do with the 992.
We are 20 years out at least...
Old 05-14-2018, 03:08 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I think 992 will be the last generation with ICE cars. The world will be all-electric in 5 to 10 years. You wont find a gas station. You can spam but you cant change the future. All the discussion about engine and exhaust sound will be pointless because there wont be an engine. It's called a electro-magnetic motor.
This is what happens when you drink the Kool-Aid.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:55 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
We are 20 years out at least...
I agree. The transition from horses to cars went quickly because you went from being able to travel maybe 30 miles per day to maybe 1000. Suddenly we’re going to all rush to go from 1000 to, maybe 700 you can do in an electric car with charging time?

I’d say you’re looking at a minimum of a decade, probably two, ONCE electric cars achieve a range parity to ICE cars, which they’re a long way from.

The world still burns a ton of coal, which is far more polluting than gas/diesel and doesn’t share the portability advantage either. Once coal is completely phased out, then maybe gas and diesel will be on the horizon, but not before.
Old 05-14-2018, 05:06 PM
BK77
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Porsche cant even get rid of their manual transmissions due to the demand, do you really think they will be able to get rid of combustion engines in the next 5-10years...lol..no way.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:06 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

Countries in Europe plan to phase out gas (corrected) powered engines completely, starting 2030 ( . https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.roa...gines-by-2030/ )

Porsche and others don't have an option but having such cars available across the board.
The way PAG behaves with their production line, I don't particularly envision a separate line for the US and another for Europe, at least not in the long run.

Most likely things will migrate towards the future above, and you see the year gap matching the next generation right on the money (7 years on the road).

The last generations followed a common trend, 996 and 997 with similarities, changing significantly to 991/992, which also have similarities among each other. The .2 prior version carries over a lot of powertrain to the next .1 version. All saving in R&D, but perceived as new.

A hybrid 992.1 may be in the works, but I would think they plan it for the 992.2, therefore phasing the same powertrain to the next generation, and finally as totally electric. Speculation, nothing else.

I hope someone there things America deserves a noisy 6 cylinder NA engine.

Last edited by John Mclane; 05-14-2018 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:03 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
Countries in Europe PLAN TO PHASE OUT gas powered engines completely, starting 2030
FIFY. Planning on doing something and actually accomplishing it are two very different things. I plan to be a billionaire next week.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:04 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 724 Posts

I stand corrected, plan to phase out.

Norway, France and India are suggesting deadlines as well. It all sounds far fetched with the barrel around 70, once it reaches 100+

https://qz.com/1275211/all-the-reaso...-100-a-barrel/
Old 05-14-2018, 09:46 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 388 Likes on 165 Posts

Best to start supporting new Nuclear powerplant builds as I have no idea where the World will get all of this power!
Old 05-15-2018, 03:18 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BK77
Porsche cant even get rid of their manual transmissions due to the demand, do you really think they will be able to get rid of combustion engines in the next 5-10years...lol..no way.
This.

The market won't allow it.

Electric fanboys can go drive their planned economy cookie-cutter electric Trabants.

Many of us will choose to burn gas, jam gears, and have fun.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:28 AM
awini
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
Seems like everyone hates superchargers, is there anything actually objectively wrong with the technology or do they just get a bad rap because they’ve traditionally been put on not the best cars?
no car in my life has given me more trouble than my lowly supercharged Mercedes C200K that i bought new in 2005, had it a little over 3 years,and drove just 27000 odd kilometers, it was in the shop for warranty repairs for almost 6-8 months in that time. it did heat up a bit, broke an AC compressor, needed new injectors within a year, also broke the starter solenoid, plus gearbox issues. of all this, i suppose only the injectors and perhaps the starter may be supercharger related, nevertheless it gets the blame for a bad car.

Quick Reply: thoughts/concerns/specs on 992?