RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo - certainly looks possible
Old 03-25-2018, 01:33 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Disappointing but possible. The 20bhp and 18lbft bump would be in line with Porsche 991.2 GT3 & RS philosophy. Add PDK, a MT with shorter ratios, better aero, N1 version Cup2 and the stiffer 718 chassis platform and it would give Porsche all the performance upgrades they need for a new GT4 without stepping on big brothers toes.

They could ten give it the power it is capable of in the next generation if they are going turbo for GT3/RS in any case...

The latest spy video of the 718 Spyder at idle and take off indicates it could be so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l6n...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tremelune
Doesn't a turbocharger allow for a much smaller/lighter exhaust system than a supercharger would? Means a lot, hanging off the ***...
It does, however you must account for the turbos, intercoolers, charge piping, coolant for W-A, or air ducting for A-A; in addition, you will have to uprate your cooling system to deal with the extra waste heat from the engine.

The 991.2 gained weight in the powerplant, despite the simplified exhaust.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:34 AM
Argon_
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Well done and spot on. The new power outputs for the 992 generation 1 are as follows:

Carrera: 385bhp - 332lbft
Carrera S: 434bhp - 384lbft
Carrera GTS: 464bhp - 406lbft

Engines start getting built Q4 2018 as you can see on the slide. LHD customer deliveries will start in Europe in early late Jan/Feb 2019. RHD cars will follow.

You can find this information on the slide attached (bottom cells). This was leaked market data and has been available 6 months. All the recent announcements have been correct to this slide so I believe it is indeed 100% correct.

Note the only car that sees increased torque is Carrera S. Those more cycnical would say Porsche are simply stating what they are already delivering with the power levels in all three models! Non the less these are simply ECU tweaks.

The 992 engine and drive-train I believe will be identical to 991.2. In the later generation 992 we will see hybrid and 8 speed PDK.

The biggest changes to the 992 are cosmetic. Rear valence (2017 Panamera style) and interior family update (2017 Panamera style). The coverage area of the new automated rear wing is also 20% larger than the prior vehicle adding more rear down-force at speed. the front of the vehicle is very similar to 991.2 other than alteration of front hood shut lines and minor styling tweaks. Naturally we will see new wheel and tyre options.I believe brakes are staying the same.

These changes are sure to divide similar to the 996 launch in 1997. Fundamentally this is not revolution but rather evolution with the biggest changes still being the 991.2 move to 3.0T power-plant across the range. Each to their won with the aesthetics (I prefer the more traditional 991 shape rear and 911 style cockpit with analogue dials and push buttons). As always the performance and handling will be improved over the outgoing model, along with the features and functions...

Excellent. We've been waiting for info like this.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:56 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 294 Posts

You can find this information on the slide attached (bottom cells). This was leaked market data and has been available 6 months.
I don't want to sound like a dick but looks like that spreadsheet is not from Porsche, it's from a financial research company. I'm sure they have good sources but I would take it with a pinch of salt maybe?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:21 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
I don't want to sound like a dick but looks like that spreadsheet is not from Porsche, it's from a financial research company. I'm sure they have good sources but I would take it with a pinch of salt maybe?
Yes, as stated the sheet is from the European arm of a leading financial market data company that measure the metrics of the European automotive industry. This type of information is generally supplied to them in confidence by the vehicle manufacturer. Its not for public consumption.

I have had a copy of this sheet since October 2017 and viewed it with some skepticism until I could check its validity with the launch of the Cayman/Boxster GTS models. In that instance the data appeared valid and sound. Then the announcement late last year of the timing behind the 992 also checked against the data on the sheet.

At this stage I personally have no doubt the information contained on the sheet is accurate and sound (hence I have posted it here). That being said there are few sure things in this world so I guess each needs to determine if the information is worthy of consideration or not....

P.S. We were purely speculating on the 9A2 2.5L 385PS/390bhp, 332lbft/451nm power unit being destined for the new 718 GT4/Spyder. I have not evidence this is the case, however the curious video of what we see as a mule 718 Spyder clearly running a turbo engine does indicate at least for that 718 variant this engine is a possible candidate?
Old 03-25-2018, 05:34 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

20 bhp increase across the board is pretty decent, although the cars are so underrated now they can literally leave the ecu tune alone and it would be hard to tell
I wonder which model is on the bottom of that spreadsheet with 493 bhp/406 ftlb. Maybe a special model??
Old 03-25-2018, 05:39 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 425 Posts

Also peak power will come in the base 992 at 6000 instead of 6500 rpm. Intetestingly, the S and GTS peak power will come in at 7400 rpm, maybe those will rev to 8000 or 8500? That would be siiiiick!!!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:03 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

The 493bhp unit is intriguing. Could be a new sub model or simply an engine that doesn’t see production. There are others on there that havent yet.

i believe the 406lbft Torque limitation is enforced due to the rating of the 7 speed PDK box clutch packs used in the base cars, although I’m sure Porsche are beng conservative.

i suspect if we see a hybrid 992.2 it may have an pirated 8 PDK and we will see that Torque limit lifted considerably...

speculation on of course :-)

Last edited by Macca; 03-25-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow, these new cars have lot of HP. I assume the cars with "TOP" marking is the TT/TTs/GTS etc. Over 500 HP, heck I see 630 and 650. More Power!!!!! <insert Tim the Tool Man Taylor Power Grunt>

Looking at the spy photos, my main wish is that I hope Porsche trims some fat from the car's exterior. Please Porsche make the cars slightly less bubbly. 997 body is slightly slimmer and sharper than 991 (but it also depends on which angle you look at it; then again I love the 991s).

PS - Can I get that spreadsheet
Old 03-25-2018, 08:26 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by captainkirk
Wow, these new cars have lot of HP. I assume the cars with "TOP" marking is the TT/TTs/GTS etc. Over 500 HP, heck I see 630 and 650. More Power!!!!! <insert Tim the Tool Man Taylor Power Grunt>

Looking at the spy photos, my main wish is that I hope Porsche trims some fat from the car's exterior. Please Porsche make the cars slightly less bubbly. 997 body is slightly slimmer and sharper than 991 (but it also depends on which angle you look at it; then again I love the 991s).

PS - Can I get that spreadsheet
That is a pic of the spreadsheet and not the actual spreadsheet.

I agree that this data is intriguing. But so are all the other rumors on the internet.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:45 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Correct. It is just a picture of a spreadsheet and it must also be remembered it is actually just over 1 year old so no doubt the power-figures given at the time, assuming the data was true, may have indeed moved. These are also European production numbers not NAFTA or ROW.

The TOP 9A1 outputs are for the 3.8L legacy turbo engine. That engine certainly has some headroom as evidenced by the new GT2RS. It looks like most of those engines are not likely to be on-stream until after the 992 has launched, so I suspect in part the increased outputs of the Carrera 3.0T range will increasingly put upward pressure on the flagship Turbo outputs. Interestingly we do not see the GT3RS or GT2RS engines here...

Theres plenty of flaws Im sure can be found with the data that may bring in to question its accuracy. I think personally its legitimacy at the time it was compiled its beyond reasonable doubt, but like all things "forecast" its subject to revision both in terms of power outputs (easily adjusted through ECU and probably in some cases dependent on competitors offerings 12 monts out etc) and volume.

It is what it is and I guess we will know within 4-5 months if the 992 Carrera and Carrera S output numbers are indeed correct.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

The 493bhp unit is intriguing. Could be a new sub model or simply an engine that doesn’t see production.
Hi Mark - isn't that just the current 4.0L GT3 motor (I think 500 PS = 493 bhp)?
Old 03-27-2018, 02:49 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hey Grant, great to see you here!

The engine variant we are referring to is the 9A2 3.0T 493bhp/406lbft unit on the last line of the sheet.

The tuning guys have already shown us that they can get 485bhp and 445lbft safely from a simple ECU tune and nothing else on a base 991.2 Carrera so with a larger turbo 493 is an easy ask from the factory. Not much they have to do to get this engine making from 370bhp to 550bhp if they so wished - just turn up the wick so to speak with a bit of code and make sure they have a corresponding inlet wheel diameter and robust thermal management...

Its all going to get a bit interesting within a few years I suspect :-)

PS Hope you are enjoying your wonderful GT3 by now :-)
Old 03-27-2018, 04:30 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,708 Likes on 2,685 Posts

Hey Grant, great to see you here!

The engine variant we are referring to is the 9A2 3.0T 493bhp/406lbft unit on the last line of the sheet.

The tuning guys have already shown us that they can get 485bhp and 445lbft safely from a simple ECU tune and nothing else on a base 991.2 Carrera so with a larger turbo 493 is an easy ask from the factory. Not much they have to do to get this engine making from 370bhp to 550bhp if they so wished - just turn up the wick so to speak with a bit of code and make sure they have a corresponding inlet wheel diameter and robust thermal management...

Its all going to get a bit interesting within a few years I suspect :-)

PS Hope you are enjoying your wonderful GT3 by now :-)
Ah, gotcha! I hadn't seen that row before.

Hope you're doing great - yes, the GT3 is fun.

Quick Reply: thoughts/concerns/specs on 992?