992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Interior Spy Shots

Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

I think they're hoping the cold air blowing out will make you use the touch screen less, and also good for blowing dust off it. Maybe a way to keep the BIG GULP cold??
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 AM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

You don't really need those vents under the screen. If you don't like them turn them off. Unlike the previous 911 this one has directable vents on top of the dash. You can use those to direct air at your face and they won't blow cold air on your hands.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:12 AM
superwuhan
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the car and driver report, the design idea is to let touch screen take the best real estate.
The air flow will split into the vent on top of the dash and the ones underneath the screen.
Old 10-16-2018, 08:00 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
You don't really need those vents under the screen. If you don't like them turn them off. Unlike the previous 911 this one has directable vents on top of the dash. You can use those to direct air at your face and they won't blow cold air on your hands.
Gotcha. But still, it makes no sense. It's seems the performance engineering is always there, but the design team doesn't quite get it. Why would you bother with a vent there at all? I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but this is just an example of unfocused design. The 1976 Corvette-style front bumper is another - just looks tacked on rather than integrated into the design to hide the lines. Another is all wide-body models - I happen to prefer the narrow body, albeit probably in the minority on that one. The rear end, not distinctive like a 911 - just follow the family style now. It's all these little things that are making it a miss. Here I am ready to trade on my lease and it's not clear what direction I should take. I don't live in the past - I work in advanced manufacturing technologies so I really love new things. I am trying so hard to like it but finding it difficult. Very difficult. Why would they cloud consumer acceptance? Their focus group probably needs to change.
Old 10-16-2018, 01:03 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,159 Likes on 562 Posts

Besides keeping the Big Gulp cold, as STG suggested, perhaps the oddly placed, "inferior" (both literally and figuratively, perhaps) AC outlets are intended to make the 992 more dog friendly?! I am sure my little Addy would be thrilled!
Old 10-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Besides keeping the Big Gulp cold, as STG suggested, perhaps the oddly placed, "inferior" (both literally and figuratively, perhaps) AC outlets are intended to make the 992 more dog friendly?! I am sure my little Addy would be thrilled!
Absolutely - right at schnoot level!
Old 10-17-2018, 09:16 PM
stealthpilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Gotcha. But still, it makes no sense. It's seems the performance engineering is always there, but the design team doesn't quite get it. Why would you bother with a vent there at all? I am not trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, but this is just an example of unfocused design. The 1976 Corvette-style front bumper is another - just looks tacked on rather than integrated into the design to hide the lines. Another is all wide-body models - I happen to prefer the narrow body, albeit probably in the minority on that one. The rear end, not distinctive like a 911 - just follow the family style now. It's all these little things that are making it a miss. Here I am ready to trade on my lease and it's not clear what direction I should take. I don't live in the past - I work in advanced manufacturing technologies so I really love new things. I am trying so hard to like it but finding it difficult. Very difficult. Why would they cloud consumer acceptance? Their focus group probably needs to change.
Hey man, these guys are not an interior design company. They are a performance engineering company. You can't expect too much of them.

There are a lot of bad design choices in the 991 - why is the nav screen so low that it is distracting to read? why do they have those cheap vinyl sun visors? what's with the cheap plastic switches and panel in the center console? why do they have so many tiny switches which force you to look down and squint to do something as simple as turn on the seat ventilation? Why do the turn signal stalks look like they belong in a golf? Why does the leather airbag have no stitching and therefore look identical to the non leather airbag? Why is the center console armrest tiny and barely functional? Why do the super expensive 18 way seats look no more special than the standard ones?

So it's not surprising there are bad design choices in the 992 interior.

The good news is they have made the performance better and that is all you can count on from Porsche.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

There are a lot of bad design choices in the 991 -
Biggest issue for me has always been what looks like a transmission tunnel?? Makes sense in a Panamera, but translates very poorly to a rear-engined car...

992 seems to be a small improvement in this area.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:07 AM
JMartinni
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by limegreen
Even the most universally disliked interior in 911 history holds it's own when compared to this. Despite being "over styled" ( for the time) at least it was no nonsense, extremely functional and matched the form follows function principal that Porsche sports cars always upheld. The 992 interior with it's center air vents demoted to accommodate a giant distracting computer screen and that ghastly, needless, greasy, i pad slab of a center console is anything but....

Umm... no, not for me. Much prefer that 992 interior over 996. Looks a lot cleaner and more elegant. And in regards to materials especially without leather the 996 is just cheap plastic everywhere, as cheap as all the plastic in modern Porsches may appear they're still way above that 90s/early 2000s level of interior finish.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Hey man, these guys are not an interior design company. They are a performance engineering company. You can't expect too much of them.

There are a lot of bad design choices in the 991 - why is the nav screen so low that it is distracting to read? why do they have those cheap vinyl sun visors? what's with the cheap plastic switches and panel in the center console? why do they have so many tiny switches which force you to look down and squint to do something as simple as turn on the seat ventilation? Why do the turn signal stalks look like they belong in a golf? Why does the leather airbag have no stitching and therefore look identical to the non leather airbag? Why is the center console armrest tiny and barely functional? Why do the super expensive 18 way seats look no more special than the standard ones?

The good news is they have made the performance better and that is all you can count on from Porsche.
Lol. All good points. When all is said and done, the 992 will be well received by the press exactly for that reason. I just need to see what their expectations are for pricing on a C2. A C2 is all I can handle, and don't want/need to pay for a deleted PDK or wide body. If it's another 10K on the base price without any real value to me, then it's a no.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:41 AM
limegreen
Pro

Received 137 Likes on 72 Posts

The 991 interior while not my favorite, is far from having many bad design choices other than the silly high center console with horizontal buttons for the HVAC and driving modes. Seeing that this silly design choice is carrying over to the 992 with an even larger console now with the radio buttons horizontally configured and the haptic console lacking the tactile feedback of any real buttons I would say they are taking it into an even worse direction. It seems like a real reach to blast the 991 for most of those trivial complaints when the 992 is so obviously and dramatically different.

I also completely disagree with the Nav screen comment and feel the exact opposite. The low NAV screen is less distracting and out of the way for actual driving, particularly at night and offers far more outward visibility, also having the small screen in the cluster does more than enough for displaying critical information regarding navigation.

The high dashboard design of the 992 is going to feel very different and likely will create a more claustrophobic feel of sitting facing a wall which will likely be similar to other cars that have used that approach. You'll feel like that nav screen is constantly in your face. Call me crazy but in my Porsche the only screen that matters for displaying critical information is the wind screen. If I want to stare at big computer screens in my face all day I'll just stay in my office.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:25 PM
Psorcery
Banned

Received 170 Likes on 126 Posts

The 991 offers superb ergonomics IMO.

Squint to look at buttons? I think you need your eyes checked and I don't mean that in a demeaning way.

Every button and every function related to driving is right there in arms reach. If you're in tune with your car, it's second nature. The only thing that I'd consider "slow" is the speed at which you can change your A/C temps. The switches and clicks(very satisfying) are high quality to me in a sense where they simply effing work. You can tell they work without even looking.

The 991 interior is far from cheap, even in it's most basic form. Go ahead and push as hard as you can on your dash, center console, doors.. Rattle those things back and forth. Pound them with your fist. You won't hear a single creak and they'll barely give way. Try that in a Mercedes and let me know what happens.

Old 10-27-2018, 05:39 PM
limegreen
Pro

Hey Porsche , it seems you've forgotten what a simple, clean and purposeful yet modern sports car interior should look like so here's an example to try and follow or take some ideas from. Try harder next time. Thanks.....

Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 PM
Warren99
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 125 Posts

2+ Million dollar car that’s not road legal in the US isn’t a very fair comparison
Old 10-27-2018, 06:58 PM
limegreen
Pro

Absolutely but don’t get too caught up on that part.

This serves as an example of elegant simplicity and purposeful design which is what the 911 once was and that can be achieved at any price level.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 992 Interior Spy Shots